Fox Still # one...........

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
24 Million Watch GOP Debate on Fox News; Most-Watched Cable News Program Ever | TVNewser

In the estimation of many reporters who cover the political and media beats, Fox News was the winner of the first GOP debate. And with the just-released ratings we can confirm that.
A whopping 24 million watched the debate from 9 p.m. ET to just past 11 p.m. ET. FNC drew 7.9 million in the A25-54 demo.
This is now the highest non-sports cable program of all time, the highest-rated cable news program of all time, and Fox News’s most-watched program ever.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

--H.L. Mencken

I don't know if you have seen any news about our Canadian debate, Tec. If not the difference between political debates in Canada and those in the US could not have been clearer last night. I didn't watch our guys but I did watch yours. The thought that there would be 14 candidates on the stage at once had me laughing from the start. From all the clips of the debate at home here, it was the usual staid and steady, low key type of debate that can put one to sleep in no time at all - unless they have some deeps-seated reason for watching those guys. Totally the exact opposite of watching the Republican candidates - they understand entertainment value as does Fox news who hosted the show. I just finished reading a couple of articles about Fox news deciding the ideology of the Republican party and that was crystal clear last night by the type of questions they chose.

Loved the comment from The Donald about political correctness running amok - can't say as I disagree with him on that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don't know if you have seen any news about our Canadian debate, Tec. If not the difference between political debates in Canada and those in the US could not have been clearer last night. I didn't watch our guys but I did watch yours. The thought that there would be 14 candidates on the stage at once had me laughing from the start. From all the clips of the debate at home here, it was the usual staid and steady, low key type of debate that can put one to sleep in no time at all - unless they have some deeps-seated reason for watching those guys. Totally the exact opposite of watching the Republican candidates - they understand entertainment value as does Fox news who hosted the show. I just finished reading a couple of articles about Fox news deciding the ideology of the Republican party and that was crystal clear last night by the type of questions they chose.

Loved the comment from The Donald about political correctness running amok - can't say as I disagree with him on that.
I was in Canada around last election time, and I flipped on the TV. They were having a debate, and they mentioned that there would be two debates in English and one in French. At that point I decided Canada is superior to the U.S. because y'all demand that your major politicians have to have at least one skill - bilingualism. The U.S. demands no skills at all, and for that matter usually severely punishes a candidate that demonstrates a skill of any kind.

Down here, we follow Julius Caesar's dictum "Give the people bread and circuses, and do what you will."

As to Trump (for whom I will absolutely vote if he gets that far) and PC, you're going to have to define PC for me before I'll agree or disagree.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I was in Canada around last election time, and I flipped on the TV. They were having a debate, and they mentioned that there would be two debates in English and one in French. At that point I decided Canada is superior to the U.S. because y'all demand that your major politicians have to have at least one skill - bilingualism. The U.S. demands no skills at all, and for that matter usually severely punishes a candidate that demonstrates a skill of any kind.

Down here, we follow Julius Caesar's dictum "Give the people bread and circuses, and do what you will."

As to Trump (for whom I will absolutely vote if he gets that far) and PC, you're going to have to define PC for me before I'll agree or disagree.

To paraphrase, he believes that political correctness is responsible for many problems facing America right now. I believe that political correctness is directly responsible for fostering the current climate of entitlement. I often wonder what Andy Warhol and George Carlin would have to say about it - most especially George. I'm tired of folks who think only their lives matter. I'm tired of those who will say or do anything just to be noticed. What ever happened to a sense of decorum? Rant over. :smile:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
To paraphrase, he believes that political correctness is responsible for many problems facing America right now. I believe that political correctness is directly responsible for fostering the current climate of entitlement. I often wonder what Andy Warhol and George Carlin would have to say about it - most especially George. I'm tired of folks who think only their lives matter. I'm tired of those who will say or do anything just to be noticed. What ever happened to a sense of decorum? Rant over. :smile:
Due respect, Mowich, I still don't see a definition of "PC" in there. It's a balance. I resist and am amused by people who search everything for something to be offended by. But I'm not real fond of overt racist, sexist slurs in public discourse, education, and the workplace, and I'm glad we took action against them.

So, once again, you're going to have to define "PC" for me (which, you'll note, Trump did not do). If "PC" means getting all cranked up over calling a woman "madam Chairman," then I'm right with you, it's a bunch of whiners seeking to be offended. If "PC" means your boss can't tell a black employee that, in his opinion, all n*ggers are lazy and criminal, or tell a female employee how sexy she is in that top and maybe they should have a drink together after work, well, that's a kind of "PC" I'm pretty much on board with.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's a balance. I resist and am amused by people who search everything for something to be offended by. But I'm not real fond of overt racist, sexist slurs in public discourse, education, and the workplace, and I'm glad we took action against them.

Agree in total.

So, once again, you're going to have to define "PC" for me (which, you'll note, Trump did not do). If "PC" means getting all cranked up over calling a woman "madam Chairman," then I'm right with you, it's a bunch of whiners seeking to be offended. If "PC" means your boss can't tell a black employee that, in his opinion, all n*ggers are lazy and criminal, or tell a female employee how sexy she is in that top and maybe they should have a drink together after work, well, that's a kind of "PC" I'm pretty much on board with.
Again, I agree with you on this. I can remember when they decided that the term 'fisherman' was offensive to some of the female population. I almost fell off my chair laughing - I mean how silly can you be. Yet if you want to be PC now then you use the term fisher-person or fisher. That is the kind of political correctness that I think is simply ridiculous. I also believe that the two instances of PC you site above are more of a human rights issue or should be in that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

Game's about to start.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Agree in total.

Again, I agree with you on this. I can remember when they decided that the term 'fisherman' was offensive to some of the female population. I almost fell off my chair laughing - I mean how silly can you be. Yet if you want to be PC now then you use the term fisher-person or fisher. That is the kind of political correctness that I think is simply ridiculous. I also believe that the two instances of PC you site above are more of a human rights issue or should be in that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

Game's about to start.
Thanks. I'm there. Talk later.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
24 Million Watch GOP Debate on Fox News; Most-Watched Cable News Program Ever | TVNewser

In the estimation of many reporters who cover the political and media beats, Fox News was the winner of the first GOP debate. And with the just-released ratings we can confirm that.
A whopping 24 million watched the debate from 9 p.m. ET to just past 11 p.m. ET. FNC drew 7.9 million in the A25-54 demo.
This is now the highest non-sports cable program of all time, the highest-rated cable news program of all time, and Fox News’s most-watched program ever.

Just out of curiosity, why is this important or relevant to you? I think we can all agree that older people watch cable news networks far more than younger people and I'm sure we can also agree that older people tend to be more conservative. I doubt it surprises anybody that Faux is the highest rated news channel. Other than simple demographics, do you think there is some other reason that Faux wins the ratings battle? In other words, is your post trying to accomplish something other than pointing out the obvious?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I had never heard Carly Fiorina speak until last night...
I'd like to see her going against Hillary....Mano a mano

To me Trump is a wild card blowhard show-boater, who'll take his ball and go independent if he doesn't get his way....Democrats would just love that

Killing it
Those ratings sure stuck in a lot of members' craw ...non?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Trump was great. Huckabee and Christie weren't bad. Paul looks a little too much like my avatar. Ted Cruz was completely nuts.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Trump was great. Huckabee and Christie weren't bad. Paul looks a little too much like my avatar. Ted Cruz was completely nuts.
Rubio did well. He didn't emerge as a superstar, but I think he sounded sane and intelligent. Perhaps of all the candidates, he did himself the most good.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC