What Americans Lose When We Refuse Crap Jobs

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda: Hashtag Of The Entitlement Generation

By Kate on July 13, 2015 4:50 PM | No Comments

Peter Cook;
Two recent stories -- one bit of idiocy by reporters on social media, and the other a self-indulgent, arrogant whine in The New York Times--have made me both thankful for my early, awful work experience and convinced that everyone, no matter who you are or where you are in life, needs to work a crap job.

First, let us look at the social media fail of reporters that have seemingly never worked in food service. They have been mocking pictures of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker eating ribs while wearing latex gloves[...]

article:

The best job I’ve ever had was cleaning deep fryers at McDonald’s at 4:30 in the morning. By “best,” I don’t mean most pleasant. Each morning, I would take a filtration device (basically a heavy bucket with a filter, on wheels) up to each deep fryer, empty the fryer’s oil into it and, while it churned away, I would scrub the sides and bottom of the fryer. After the filter was done working, I would pump the filtered oil back into the fryer and turn on the heating element to prepare it for that day’s cooking.

By the end of this process, which took about an hour, I smelled like a combination of old French fries and fish filets, and I had at least one new burn per week. After finishing this job, I was expected to start up the grills and prep for breakfast service.

It was greasy, hot, and deeply unpleasant work, but in a very important way it was the best job I’ve ever had because those mornings are what I thought about in future jobs when things seemed bad. Scrubbing deep fryers will always remind me to keep a healthy perspective about work. Now, as a stay-at-home dad, even my worst day is better than cleaning those fryers, because that job was terrible.

After McDonald’s came a steady stream of crap jobs as I worked my way through college. I’ve sliced roast beef at Arby’s, tried (unsuccessfully) to corral parents during the Christmas shopping season at Toys ‘R Us, and I’ve survived a stint at the returns desk at Wal-Mart, where getting yelled at was not uncommon. None of the jobs that followed were as physically demanding or unpleasant as cleaning deep fryers, but combined, they taught me a simple truth: work is work, which is why they pay you to do it.

Everyone Should Work at Least One Crap Job

Two recent stories—one bit of idiocy by reporters on social media, and the other a self-indulgent, arrogant whine in The New York Times—have made me both thankful for my early, awful work experience and convinced that everyone, no matter who you are or where you are in life, needs to work a crap job.

First, let us look at the social media fail of reporters that have seemingly never worked in food service. They have been mocking pictures of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker eating ribs while wearing latex gloves. Looking at these pictures and others from the same event, it’s clear to me that candidates in Iowa were subjected to menial labor in the service of voter outreach. Marco Rubio and Walker served barbecue to a crowd, and in Walker’s case, he consumed said BBQ before taking off those gloves—because why wouldn’t you after spending that much time around ribs?

Here’s how our national press responded:

What Americans Lose When We Refuse Crap Jobs