Minimum wage increases are 'supercharging' economy, says U.S. multimillionaire

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Minimum wage increases are 'supercharging' economy, says U.S. multimillionaire

A multimillionaire leading a campaign to pay workers more across the United States says raising the minimum wage, whether there or in B.C., is simply "supercharging" the economy.

The B.C. Federation of Labour's campaign to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour in British Columbia has sputtered, after the provincial government announced it would tie the minimum wage to the consumer price index.

But the push for higher wages is seeing success in other Canadian jurisdictions. Alberta Premier Rachel Notley has promised a $15 an hour minimum wage by 2018.

In the U.S., Seattle, and most recently, Los Angeles, have introduced $15 an hour minimum wage hour legislation.

Seattle-based venture capitalist and multimillionaire Nick Hanauer rejects common arguments that raising the minimum wage will kill jobs and hurt the economy.

"The reason to raise these folks' wages, isn't because you feel sorry for them," Hanauer told The Early Edition's Stephen Quinn.

"You're not giving them a hand out. What you're doing is supercharging your local economy."

Here are some more highlights of Nick Hanauer's chat with the CBC's Stephen Quinn:

The most common response to the idea of a higher minimum wage from business groups, and I suppose wealthy people like yourself, is that higher minimum wages kill jobs and hurt the economy. Why do you reject that way of thinking?

That's just not how capitalism works. The fundamental law of capitalism is that when workers have more money, businesses have more customers and need more workers... [There's been] essentially 100 years of wealthy owners telling workers that if wages go up, employment will go down, but in fact it never happens.

The only thing that's really true about the claim that when wages go up, employment goes down, is that if people like me can get people like your listeners to believe it's true, it will work out really, really well for people like me. The truth is that this claim really isn't a description of reality. It's more of a scam or an intimidation tactic. It's essentially a threat that powerful people use against not powerful people to scare them away from higher wages.

But we hear it repeated over and over again. There's a think-tank here called the Fraser Institute. They say a significant increase in the minimum wage could lead to a 12 to 17 per cent loss in employment. How do you try to assuage those fears?

Look back historically to the moments when wages went up and take a look at what happened in the past...What you will always find is that when wages go up, particularly when wages go up for everyone all at once, what you find is robust, economic growth.

My state and city, Washington, Seattle, is a fabulous example... We already pay much, much more than the federal minimum... We now pay $11 for all workers. That compared to the $7.25 federal minimum. But particularly, in the United States, we have this thing called a tip penalty, so if you 're a tipped worker in Mississippi or something like that, you will earn $2.13 plus tips...

Hanauer says that in some areas of the U.S., people working in the service industry get paid far less than even minimum wage, due to a 'tip penalty.' (Toby Talbot/Associated Press)
Surely if what your friends at that think-tank said were true, we would have no restaurants in Seattle or Washington state, because we're paying five times what neighbouring states are paying. Yet, of all the big cities in the country, Seattle has the second highest density of restaurants in the country and we follow only San Francisco, which has the most restaurants per person in the country and they pay $1.25 more than we do...

Surely if what your friends at that think-tank said were true, we would have no restaurants in Seattle or Washington state, because we're paying five times what neighbouring states are paying. Yet, of all the big cities in the country, Seattle has the second highest density of restaurants in the country and we follow only San Francisco, which has the most restaurants per person in the country and they pay $1.25 more than we do...

...more...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/bri...g-economy-says-u-s-multimillionaire-1.3124917

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Seattle-based venture capitalist and multimillionaire Nick Hanauer rejects common arguments that raising the minimum wage will kill jobs and hurt the economy.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/bri...g-economy-says-u-s-multimillionaire-1.3124917
Possibly because those arguments are based on anecdotal and inconsistent evidence.

Rejecting arguments based on anecdotal and inconsistent evidence is probably a big part of how Mr. Hanauer got to be a big-shot VC and multimillionaire.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
In my area the Fast Food Restaurants are replacing Counter Persons with Computerized Ordering Kiosks. That solves the increase in costs of higher minimum wages.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In my area the Fast Food Restaurants are replacing Counter Persons with Computerized Ordering Kiosks. That solves the increase in costs of higher minimum wages.
I Know. Isn't it Terrible that the Invention of the Backhoe put all those Ditchdiggers Out of Work?

Luddite.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Provinces try to attract business with low taxes and low wage laws, but businesses want provinces to attract workers, especially immigrant workers. So provinces compete with each other over low-wage workers who are motivated to move and re-settle. Surprise surprise, capitalists, but driving down costs and treating people like garbage drives away the principle generator of all wealth: labour. When one province raises its minimum wage, others try to keep up. Other than the fact that Alberta is a flat frozen hellhole and British Columbia is paradise, why work in BC at $10/hr when you can work in Alberta for $15?

Minimum wage increases aren't the only things that supercharge economies and not all supercharged economies are created equal. Cheap and abundant credit puts money into workers pockets the same way. This has supercharged our economy to the point of making some places unlivable and personal debt untenable in the future. Right now our economy relies on the consumer power of imaginary wealth. This is due to collapse unless debt is forgiven (which would collapse the financial markets anyway) or people actually start being able to pay for things with the real wealth of wages. We have to solve this problem. What will likely happen is a repeat of 2008 though, where the market collapses, banks cash in, the rich get rich, and the poor suffer. And people will think the only solution is to do it all over again.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Provinces try to attract business with low taxes and low wage laws, but businesses want provinces to attract workers, especially immigrant workers. So provinces compete with each other over low-wage workers who are motivated to move and re-settle. Surprise surprise, capitalists, but driving down costs and treating people like garbage drives away the principle generator of all wealth: labour. When one province raises its minimum wage, others try to keep up. Other than the fact that Alberta is a flat frozen hellhole and British Columbia is paradise, why work in BC at $10/hr when you can work in Alberta for $15?

Minimum wage increases aren't the only things that supercharge economies and not all supercharged economies are created equal. Cheap and abundant credit puts money into workers pockets the same way. This has supercharged our economy to the point of making some places unlivable and personal debt untenable in the future. Right now our economy relies on the consumer power of imaginary wealth. This is due to collapse unless debt is forgiven (which would collapse the financial markets anyway) or people actually start being able to pay for things with the real wealth of wages. We have to solve this problem. What will likely happen is a repeat of 2008 though, where the market collapses, banks cash in, the rich get rich, and the poor suffer. And people will think the only solution is to do it all over again.
Makes you wonder, don't it? Given the mountain of evidence that countries with large, healthy, well-paid middle classes do so spectacularly better in every way than countries divided into rich elites and masses of subsistence-level peasants, why would anyone actually advocate the latter?

There are clearly deep psychological issues at play here.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Give'm their $15/hr and then fire them all.. enjoy.

New McDonald's In Phoenix Run Entirely By Robots - News Examiner - Examine Your World

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5VHGT0mjgs

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
See? Pick your isolated statistic, and you can "prove" any preconceived notion? Cool, enit?

Much like you are doing below

Makes you wonder, don't it? Given the mountain of evidence that countries with large, healthy, well-paid middle classes do so spectacularly better in every way than countries divided into rich elites and masses of subsistence-level peasants, why would anyone actually advocate the latter?

There are clearly deep psychological issues at play here.

Do you honestly believe that the middle class are all min wage earners?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No, of course not. How you got that from my post is a mystery only you and whatever bottle you tangled with can answer.

Once you learn that the bottle is your friend, it becomes a powerful ally.

PS - the direct and highly connected references you made/make between a middle class and a strong economy - right on the heels of supporting a legislated min wage is where the connection is made.

.... Thought you might wanna know

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Once you learn that the bottle is your friend, it becomes a powerful ally.
A lesson it appears you have learned very, very well indeed.

PS - the direct and highly connected references you made/make between a middle class and a strong economy - right on the heels of supporting a legislated min wage is where the connection is made.

.... Thought you might wanna know
Ah, I see. So you take the proposal "minimum wage-workers paid 15 beans an hour will increase the size and health of the middle class" to mean "all members of the middle class are minimum-wage workers."

OK, mystery solved. Thank you. I'll let you get back to your bottle.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A lesson it appears you have learned very, very well indeed.

... Whatever that is supposed to mean

Ah, I see. So you take the proposal "minimum wage-workers paid 15 beans an hour will increase the size and health of the middle class" to mean "all members of the middle class are minimum-wage workers."

OK, mystery solved. Thank you. I'll let you get back to your bottle.

Apparently, it remains a mystery to you.

I specifically quoted your text in the post in which I made the comment.

Perhaps you might reread that post and follow-up with accepting that these are the specific words that you voluntarily elected to employ.

Acting like a 4 year old doesn't help your position

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
... Whatever that is supposed to mean

Apparently, it remains a mystery to you.

I specifically quoted your text in the post in which I made the comment.

Perhaps you might reread that post and follow-up with accepting that these are the specific words that you voluntarily elected to employ.

Acting like a 4 year old doesn't help your position
Nor does acting like a clueless lout help yours. Never stopped you, though.

So, you said your piece, I said mine. Sounds like we're done here.