Minorities need a safe place where there are no white people

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Last week The Ryersonian reported on an incident that involved two first-year journalism students who were turned away from an event organized by Racialized Students' Collective because they are white. Since then there has been a lot of commentary on the piece and a lot of debate -- a lot of the criticism is valid.

There are two sides to the story: 1) the media has a right to attend public events and report on matters that are in the public interest. The student media needs to cover initiatives that are happening on campus so that we draw attention to them and in turn create awareness (The Ryersonian reported that one student said he was covering the meeting for an assignment). 2) Marginalized groups have a right to claim spaces in the public realm where they can share stories about the discrimination they have faced without judgment and intrusion from anyone else.

I am a person of colour and a journalist and so there are two conflicting voices inside my head. But in this case one voice, that of a person of colour, is louder and my conscience does not allow me to be impartial. I have to take a side.

Ethnic Minorities Deserve Safe Spaces Without White PeopleÂ*|Â*Aeman Ansari

Politics: HuffPo column: Minorities need a safe place where there are no white people | Best of Cain

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm white and I pay $8 a pint so I can sit and have a beer with other whites. I don't know what is about $8 pints but white people seem to flock to them while the rest don't.

Any ideas why?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh yeah, gotta hide from those nasty white folks. Here is a news story trying to invent itself....horse feathers.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Marginalized groups have a right to claim spaces in the public realm where they can share stories about the discrimination they have faced without judgment and intrusion from anyone else.

Actually they can't claim public space/ realms and keep everyone else out. They can rent a hall or a space and then have a bitch and moan fest.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Actually they can't claim public space/ realms and keep everyone else out. They can rent a hall or a space and then have a bitch and moan fest.
Why do you hate people of colour, Twila?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Why do you hate people of colour, Twila?

While I'm having to pay to have darker skin (so I can enjoy the sun without buring), they're just laughing and sitting in their already sun kissed skin. So, I ask you TB, why didn't the sun kiss white people? Why does the sun hate us so much?

You should have used a picture of Eric Schweig or Adam Beach. That would have been so much nicer...just sayin.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
instead of the italian dude he used eh.

Was the crying Indian really Italian?

A girl just wants something pleasant to look at. Iffn' we're going to post pictures of imposing looking people, can't they at least be as handsome as Eric? and Eric is local.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Racism is the ultimate tribal pyramid scheme with no top and no bottom. Are we all seeking to be the capstone and the head tribe?

It's deep rooted instinct to have an identity and have others with the same identity around us. From that point it breaks into linguistics, then dialects and National identity.

It just keeps on going into to status, physical and personality which goes into infinity because we are all unique.

The Gospel According to Petros
Chapter 6:1

Have a nice day but do it on your own goddam turf with your own tribe and on and on and on.

Amen

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Racism is the ultimate tribal pyramid scheme with no top and no bottom. Are we all seeking to be the capstone and the head tribe?

It's deep rooted instinct to have an identity and have others with the same identity around us. From that point it breaks into linguistics, then dialects and National identity.

It just keeps on going into to status, physical and personality which goes into infinity because we are all unique.

The Gospel According to Petros
Chapter 6:1

Have a nice day but do it on your own goddam turf with your own tribe and on and on and on.

Amen

Preach on Brother Petros! You could start your own congregation, religion and become a multi billionaire in no time.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Was the crying Indian really Italian?

A girl just wants something pleasant to look at. Iffn' we're going to post pictures of imposing looking people, can't they at least be as handsome as Eric? and Eric is local.

Yup. Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera Oscar di Corti, son of two Sicilian immigrants in Louisiana. I guess he has kind of a Cliffy thing going on, but he cashed in way better.

As far as that whole sun kissing thing, maybe I can help. I hear (from myself, I just made it up) that having your skin kissed by an Indun'll give you a nice, deep tan. Shall we make a date?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Author
Grey Owl was the name Archibald Belaney adopted when he took on a First Nations identity as an adult. Wikipedia
Born: September 18, 1888, Hastings, United Kingdom
Died: April 13, 1938, Prince Albert
Spouse: Angele Egwuna (m. 1910)
Education: ARK William Parker Academy
Books: Pilgrims of the wild, more