Obama Calls for 2 Years of Free College

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
President Barack Obama on Thursday proposed offering free community college nationwide, in effect extending government-funded education from kindergarten through a two-year degree.

“I’d like to see the first two years of community college free for everyone who is willing to work for it,” Mr. Obama said in a video posted Thursday on Facebook. “It’s something we can accomplish and it’s something that will train our workforce so that we can compete with anybody in the world.”

The plan, which would offset some of the $20 billion in annual tuition received by community colleges, will require legislation in a Republican-controlled Congress that already is at odds with the president over other spending issues. The concept is expected to formally be released in Mr. Obama’s 2016 budget proposal, due out in February.

more

Obama Calls for Two Years of Free Community College for All Students - WSJ

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Just make the tuition tax deductible by the employer and it will serve two purposes: give a tax break for businesses, and give them incentives to hire. No need to subsidize as he is proposing.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Junior college tuition is generally affordable. This is certainly so compared to private college tuition. The reform I suggested is based on something I saw years ago where a company I worked for deducted tuition of family members it hired. The executives would hire their children and deduct tuition costs on the company tax return. Since corporations are always asking for more tax breaks this is one that would serve as the incentive to hire and give the deduction they are always seeking.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Time for a break for individuals companies are already getting a break.
I agree in this case with Obama give the break at the source. Besides
if the current government proposes a few more middle income deals
for families and continues to push medicare for the lower middle class
it will serve as a reason to vote for the progressive groups in the up
coming election. Dive and rule while preaching unity

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Time for a break for individuals companies are already getting a break.
I agree in this case with Obama give the break at the source. Besides
if the current government proposes a few more middle income deals
for families and continues to push medicare for the lower middle class
it will serve as a reason to vote for the progressive groups in the up
coming election. Dive and rule while preaching unity

The thing is this: if Obama decides to give subsidies to the poor, it will be called welfare and used by the right wing to attack him by saying it increases the national debt while the Dems remain silent. If he gives tax breaks to the rich he will be pleasing the right wing and silence his critics. Therefore, the smarter thing to do is to make the reform I suggested.

But we shall see what happens next ...

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
(Free)2 year tuition is a Good Idea.
More Literate, Better Educated Employees = Greater Success rate for Entrepreneurs, more Money for Employers...and helps ensure Needed positions are filled by qualified individuals.

BUT; as good of an idea as it may seem...Gov and Biz will find a way to manipulate the program so even these more educated workers are forced into longer hours, unrewarding Jobs/Careers, Poverty and borderline slavery. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
If the companies are given the tax incentive then they assume all risk. The student will not have to re-pay the company if he/she is not hired and is still left without a mountain of debt. Meantime, he/she will have the degree and can proceed into another career or can work for someone else.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Some companies already have similar Education/placement programs in place. They make employees in these programs sign contracts saying they must work in that place/position for a set period of time, at a set wage(often making far less than others currently in that position).
If all employers adopt programs such as these...Good luck finding a Job/Career that will pay you for your, Now, Only Average, Education.

Yet...Still think it's a good idea to give Less Fortunate a chance to better themselves through Gov/Biz Funded Education/college programs; with the hope it will lead to success; and overall; to a more Fulfilling/Rewarding/Enjoyable Life. To a better standard of living.

Gotta ensure we maintain our 1st world Status, while at the same time, helping less fortunate.

Last edited: