Threats Are Now a Daily Event for Many U.S. Muslims

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
By Rob Garver September 25, 2014

These are difficult days to be a Muslim in the United States.

There was, for example, the drunk man who chased Linda Sarsour and her friend down a New York City street earlier this month calling the two women “f---ing Arabs” and threatening to “chop off your f---ing heads and see how your people like it.”

There was also the gang of young Jewish men who circled her mosque in cars earlier this summer, blasting sirens at worshippers as they arrived and screaming anti-Arab slurs in the pre-dawn darkness.

Sarsour, the executive director of the Arab American Association of New York, says she sees evidence of it all the time at her office, which provides various social services. More than once, she said, Muslim women wearing the same traditional headscarf she wears have arrived shaking with fear after being spat on in the street.

“Psychologically, it makes people feel like they aren’t wanted,” said the Brooklyn-born Sarsour, who bristles at the suggestion that she isn’t a “real” American. “Don’t tell me I don’t belong here, to go back to my country,” she said, echoing the taunts she’s heard on the street. “This is my country.”

The turmoil in the Middle East over the past months has metastasized into heated rhetoric and violence among Muslim communities in cities across Europe, particularly in countries where Muslims are not integrated into the mainstream of society and are viewed with suspicion.

The United States has been luckier in that respect and it’s largely because U.S. Muslims are generally well integrated into the community. But as violence erupted this summer between Israel and the Palestinian population of Gaza, and as the murderous terrorist group ISIS publicly beheaded American journalists in Iraq as part of its campaign to establish a so-called Islamic State, increasing anti-Muslim sentiment seems to threaten the very integration that has helped protect the U.S. from violence at home.

The New York City Police Department, for example, recorded seven anti-Muslim hate crimes in all of 2013. There have been 17 so far in 2014, 14 of which have happened since July 1.

“The sad thing is if it is happening in New York City, one of the most diverse and liberal cities in the country if not the world, God only knows what’s happening in the rest of the country,” said Sarsour.

“There’s definitely been a rise in anti-Muslim rhetoric in our society,” said Maya Berry, executive director of the Washington, DC-based Arab American Institute. “Regrettably…the situation is worse than immediately after 9/11.”

The AAI’s most recent survey on “American Attitudes toward Arabs and Muslims,” conducted this summer, found that Arabs and Muslims have the lowest favorable and highest unfavorable rating of all ethnic and religious groups assessed. The survey also found that 42 percent of Americans “support the use of profiling by law enforcement against Arab Americans and American Muslims” and that many do not believe an Arab or Muslim citizen should be allowed to hold significant public office.

Unfortunately, in some parts of the country, lawmakers seem to be doing their best to aggravate the situation. Earlier this month, Republican Oklahoma State Senator John Bennett repeatedly made statements attacking the Islamic faith, calling it a “cancer that needs to be cut out” of the United States.

Rather than repudiate Bennett’s remarks, Oklahoma State Republican Party Chairman Dave Weston backed him up, saying, “If we as Americans were ruled by Islam, then Christians and Jews like you and I could only keep practicing our faith if we paid a protection tax. But if you’re Christian or Jewish and don’t immediately convert to Islam, they imminently decapitate you. This is proven by ongoing observation around the world today.”

Mark Potok, spokesperson for the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate crimes, called the statements “despicable,” and said that the rise in anti-Islamic rhetoric in the U.S. almost certainly leads to an increase in hate crimes against Muslims.

“Words have consequences,” Potok said. “Certainly people may make these kinds of statements under the first amendment, but it doesn’t make them any less poisonous. The comments of leaders play out in the criminal activities of people who listen to them.”

Indeed, just days after Bennett’s remarks, Imad Enchassi, senior Imam at the Islamic Council of Greater Oklahoma started receiving specific threats that his congregation’s mosque would be burned down during Friday services, with his congregation inside.
“We’re going to chop your head off. We’re going to burn your mosque,” Enchassi said in an interview, ticking off some of the threats he has received. “We got specific threats of beheading Muslims in the state. Beheading children.”

Enchassi has lived in Oklahoma since the 1980s, and has lived through the Oklahoma City bombing, for which Muslim terrorists were originally blamed. He lived through 9/11 and Oklahoma’s attempt to ban Sharia Law in 2010.

He says he has never seen anti-Muslim sentiment worse. “This is a first for us in this state,” he said.

Enchassi, who is also chairman of the Department of Islamic Studies at the University of Oklahoma City said that death threats directed at him personally have become so common, “I just go on my Facebook page and tell them to stand in line.”

But for the members of his community, he said, the threats are no joke. The adults try to shield children from too much knowledge of what is being said about people like them, but it’s difficult. On days when the threats are particularly bad, he said, children at the Islamic Council’s school are kept inside at recess out of fear of attacks.

It’s the effect on children that troubles Linda Sarsour, too.

“How do you tell a 12 year old kid – born in Brooklyn – why this is happening?” she asks angrily. “You can’t explain this. Kids are saying they’re afraid to tell people they’re Muslim because they might hurt them. Kids shouldn’t be thinking about that.”

http://news.yahoo.com/threats-now-daily-event-many-101500662.html

America. F*ck yeah!

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Alienating integrated Muslims is probably the worst way to go. In Canada, for example, I believe two terror attacks have been thwarted by imams reporting radical Islamists to authorities.

That said, there may be some merit to the argument that the trouble only really starts after Muslims comprise a certain percentage of the popualtion, which may speak to policies that limit immigration from countires that pratice the more problematic forms of Islam.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is the vast number of moderate Muslims around the world have sat in silence
while their radical brothers have committed any number of crimes and not just in the Middle
East. The soldier murdered on the street in his own country for example. There are many
who are angered and some afraid of those in our midst that is true.
If ISIS continues and radicals keep going to the Middle East to carry out not acts of war but
acts of terror tensions will rise. If they do what they keep threatening to do and that is carry
out another attack in North America if I were one of them I would be afraid of retaliation.
The problem is "One of them" as far as a citizen is concerned they are "One of Us" at the
same time. We could see a terrible situation right here at home. This is a time for cooler
heads but what will the outcome be? It depends on the how this international drama plays out.
This problem is coming closer to all out war between the west and parts of the Muslim World
and it was left to its own course until we are in the problem we are in. Some have trained and
returned home to do god knows what and if that happens we are in for some serious unstable
times beyond name calling and even threats. Its time to wake up people.
And no I do not condone threatening fellow citizens in the streets we should all be able to walk
the street in safety in a free society. But it is time the Muslim community respect the rest of
the society they chose to live in and its time for others to respect their beliefs as long as they
behave in the context of the law

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The problem is the vast number of moderate Muslims around the world have sat in silence
while their radical brothers have committed any number of crimes and not just in the Middle
East. The soldier murdered on the street in his own country for example. There are many
who are angered and some afraid of those in our midst that is true.
If ISIS continues and radicals keep going to the Middle East to carry out not acts of war but
acts of terror tensions will rise. If they do what they keep threatening to do and that is carry
out another attack in North America if I were one of them I would be afraid of retaliation.
The problem is "One of them" as far as a citizen is concerned they are "One of Us" at the
same time. We could see a terrible situation right here at home. This is a time for cooler
heads but what will the outcome be? It depends on the how this international drama plays out.
This problem is coming closer to all out war between the west and parts of the Muslim World
and it was left to its own course until we are in the problem we are in. Some have trained and
returned home to do god knows what and if that happens we are in for some serious unstable
times beyond name calling and even threats. Its time to wake up people.
And no I do not condone threatening fellow citizens in the streets we should all be able to walk
the street in safety in a free society. But it is time the Muslim community respect the rest of
the society they chose to live in and its time for others to respect their beliefs as long as they
behave in the context of the law
In what way are the people in the article failing to respect the rest of the society they choose to live in?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just wondering... are they still walking around with their heads attached?

Some WOMAN in your home state just lost hers.

The FBI is now looking into Nolen’s background after his former co-workers said he tried to convert them to Islam after recently converting himself.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just wondering... are they still walking around with their heads attached?

Some WOMAN in your home state just lost hers.

The FBI is now looking into Nolen’s background after his former co-workers said he tried to convert them to Islam after recently converting himself.
Do murders of Arabs, Muslims, and people that sh*theads thought were Muslims count, or only beheadings?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Obama talked about this at the UN. That Islam needs to participate in protecting the religion from extremist hijacking. Being silent is not participation. The Arab world will only become more isolated and looked upon as part of the problem if they don't proactively become part of the terrorism solution. The path they are on will naturally create rifts.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
All crimes can now be blamed on the Muslins in North America based on their lust for full and complete control, wait for it, . . . and yet crime abounds under 'their watch', . . . the only 'logical conclusion' is that they are secretly behind each and every one . . .

What about beheading of nonmuslims by nonmuslims.
Always self-defence, always, always, always. Any questivons?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It seems to me that these extremists are increasing in actions outside their small enclaves. Or is it just that it's being reported more and is the popular thriller story?

It actually scares me a bit. It feels like we are just at the start of a major major turn of events.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Everything would have went well... until some PERSON decided to hack off another PERSONS head in Oklahoma.

This would have been a bitchin thread T-Bones but then some recent convert had to F* it all up for you kid.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Do murders of Arabs, Muslims, and people that sh*theads thought were Muslims count, or only beheadings?
Beheadings on a dark and windy night with clouds partly obscuring the rising moon to be exact, all other cases are self-defense, didn't you get the memoz?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
“The sad thing is if it is happening in New York City, one of the most diverse and liberal cities in the country if not the world, God only knows what’s happening in the rest of the country,” said Sarsour.

Well we know what happened today in Oklahoma Ms. Sarsour don't we?!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Muslim Community must stand up and speak up and be prepared to participate
in combating radical Islam or they will be seen as supporting the cause with silence.
Yes this is the beginning of a long and much harder road especially after this case
of beheading. It could be seen as an attack on an American Citizen by a Muslim not
by another American Citizen.
I have friends who are Sikh Faith they wear turbans and during the 9/11 situation many
were cursed at and lumped in with the the Muslims. I for one don't think ordinary Muslims
are the problem, the radical element who are more criminals are responsible.
Will average citizens see it that way? For now but once this whole war thing escalates
I am not so optimistic.
The problem is we are at war with a faction of the Islamic Ideology and we still refuse to
see it.
They do not respect the ways of the west, western values are regarded as sinful even in
the eyes of moderates in many cases. People of all religions and groups should understand
in a democracy at some point everyone even has the right to be offended.
It is also true that no one in our society deserves to be persecuted for being who they are