Obama says US should offer paid maternity leave

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wut?

They don't have this already?

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama said Monday that the United States should join the rest of the industrialized world and offer paid leave for mothers of newborns.

"Many women can't even get a paid day off to give birth — now that's a pretty low bar," Obama said at the White House Summit on Working Families. "That, we should be able to take care of."

The president is talking about paid maternity in the midst of a midterm election campaign focused on women voters, raising questions about how he would fund such a system. "If France can figure this out, we can figure this out," Obama said.

While some companies offer paid family leave to attract workers, the 1993 Family Medical Leave Act only requires that employers provide unpaid leave for medical and family reasons.

Obama praised California, Rhode Island and New Jersey for creating a state benefit. But he has not endorsed legislation that would create a similar national system funded by a payroll tax, and he pledged in his 2008 presidential campaign not to raise taxes on families making under $250,000 a year.

Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., has introduced legislation that would provide up to 12 weeks of paid leave through a fund in the Social Security Administration, paid for by contributions from employees and employers of 0.2 percent of wages. She said she has personally encouraged the president to back it and hopes he will, despite his tax pledge.

"We're talking about 2 cents of every $10," she said in an interview at the summit. She said without such a fund, eight out of 10 workers can't take advantage of their right for family leave because they can't afford it.

When Obama came to the White House, he instituted six weeks of paid leave for his workers when they have a child, get sick or injured or need to care for an ailing family member, using his authority to set his staff's compensation under the personnel code. He does not have the power to award paid leave to other federal workers without congressional action since they are covered under a different section of law. The White House has supported the goal of legislation introduced by lawmakers to change that, but it has yet to get through Congress.

"There is only one developed country in the world that does not offer paid maternity leave, and that is us," Obama said. "And that is not the list you want to be on — on your lonesome. It's time to change that."

Obama also encouraged employers to have more flexible work schedules and directed federal agencies to expand flexible work arrangements where possible. He also urged Congress to pass legislation requiring employers to accommodate pregnant employees so they can continue to perform their jobs.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
My wife had a boat load of paid maternity leave for both kids.

Why doesn't the president use his pen and phone again? Since when are laws an obstacle for Obama?

He's looking for another diversion I suppose.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think the law in the States is something a woman gets 5 weeks unpaid leave after giving birth.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Still discriminates against anyone not wishing to have kids orthose past child rearing age that have to foot the bill.

Not really. Domestically hatched children are a worth every cent and second of time invested in them.

Or there is the other option of importing adults but who would their bosses be? Other immigrants?

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
How about a Paid Family Vacation Leave also?? If we're getting frivolous with tax dollars why not this too?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Lazy buggers: Hell, Aunt Lucy squatted, dropped my cousin in a furrow, got behind the plow and finished the whole 10 acres.

Went up t' the house and cooked fer 20 hired help, 2 husbands, 15 kids, grammaw, and 2 Plott hounds.

Jus fore dark she went back and got my cousin. Raised em all tough.

Din do no one no harm.

Some even lived past 22

Times is changed8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Lazy buggers: Hell, Aunt Lucy squatted, dropped my cousin in a furrow, got behind the plow and finished the whole 10 acres.

Went up t' the house and cooked fer 20 hired help, 2 husbands, 15 kids, grammaw, and 2 Plott hounds.

Jus fore dark she went back and got my cousin. Raised em all tough.

Din do no one no harm.

Some even lived past 22

Times is changed8O

Yeah, we're going to Hell in a hand basket!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Not really. Domestically hatched children are a worth every cent and second of time invested in them.

Or there is the other option of importing adults but who would their bosses be? Other immigrants?

The tide of motivated workers cannot be turned off else the nation dies. Cornflakes in cornflakes out, I blame the hordes of unemployed youth on dangerous breakfast cereals and transistor radios.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Only if given to just the mother. If mother and father can split it, then it would be non-discriminatory.

I learned many years ago that "maternity" means pertaining to the mother- for the father the word would be "paternity".

The tide of motivated workers cannot be turned off else the nation dies. Cornflakes in cornflakes out, I blame the hordes of unemployed youth on dangerous breakfast cereals and transistor radios.

In which part of the country is the use of transistor radios running rampant? -:)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You must have seen them. Umless you live in the woods. They're all over the place, walking standing running all of them with earplugs, manipulating buttons on little boxes of god knows what.