Members of Congress are underpaid, can’t live ‘decently’ in D.C

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
really

A retiring Democratic congressman from Virginia says federal lawmakers don’t make enough money to get by in both Washington and back home.

“I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid,” Rep. James P. Moran told CQ Roll Call.
“I understand that it’s widely felt that they underperform, but the fact is that this is the board of directors for the largest economic entity in the world.”

Mr. Moran told the publication that some lawmakers live out of their offices while in the nation’s capital, or in “small little apartment units” that make it hard to spend time with their families.

more of this sad story here:

Members of Congress are underpaid, can't live 'decently' in D.C.: Rep. Moran - Washington Times

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
This shows the arrogance of those in Congress. Not only do they think they are a cut above the rest whom they supposedly represent they think they need to live like royalty. This shows just how disconnected they are with the rest of the working class in America.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There's a better way to get some affordable housing in Washington.. and that is to kick out the lobbyists, who make millions of dollars subverting American democracy and completely skew the housing market so that Representatives have to live in group frat houses like college students.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Saying that they are "underpaid" certainly doesn't send the right impression. It certainly wont win over any voters.

The point he seems to be trying to highlight is that they don't have any allowance for the cost of living while in Washington. In any other job, if you had to travel for work like that, your costs would be covered by the company. They would either pay for a hotel or rent a place for you, and give you a per-deim to cover costs like food and incidentals.

So at least when you compare their salary to other elected representatives, you need to appreciate that their salary also has to include the costs of maintaining a second home in an area that is pretty expensive to live in.

MPs and I think most MPPs/MLAs get an allowance to pay for the cost of their second residence if they live more than 100kms away from parliament, and a per diem while in Ottawa or traveling for work.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Maybe their minders can hep them out some.

A telethon, yard sale...that kind thing.

Ben Howe ‏@BenHowe

I agree with @SenatorReid. Let those endorsements shine! pic.twitter.com/ntPDkRY05k

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, I can't find too much sympathy. They make $174,000,00 per year. Lots of people manage to squeak by on a mere hundred thousand dollars.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well, I can't find too much sympathy. They make $174,000,00 per year. Lots of people manage to squeak by on a mere hundred thousand dollars.

And many more get by for less than $100K.

Members of Congress can also deduct up to $3K off their taxes while living in Washington.

And Congress is scheduled to be in session about 75 more days of the remaining 188 work days left in the year.

They also have free airport parking at the DC area airports (Reagan and Dulles).

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Saying that they are "underpaid" certainly doesn't send the right impression. It certainly wont win over any voters.

The point he seems to be trying to highlight is that they don't have any allowance for the cost of living while in Washington. In any other job, if you had to travel for work like that, your costs would be covered by the company. They would either pay for a hotel or rent a place for you, and give you a per-deim to cover costs like food and incidentals.

So at least when you compare their salary to other elected representatives, you need to appreciate that their salary also has to include the costs of maintaining a second home in an area that is pretty expensive to live in.

MPs and I think most MPPs/MLAs get an allowance to pay for the cost of their second residence if they live more than 100kms away from parliament, and a per diem while in Ottawa or traveling for work.
Yea they have it so bad they spend millions just to get that sh---ty pay .

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Put them up in Army Barracks- Ones the enlisted man/woman uses.
With the cuts coming I am sure there would be room.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Yea they have it so bad they spend millions just to get that sh---ty pay .

That is another issue all together. The amount of money that is spent on elections in the US is ridiculous. The total spent for the 2012 presidential and congressional races was apparently over 7 billion dollars. I don't think it would be hard to figure out better ways to spend that money.

But anyways. I never said they have it bad. Just pointing out how it compares to other elected representatives.

Maybe it would make more sense to simply separate it out so it is more clear. They get x amount for the cost of living in Washington, and x as an actual salary.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I live in two Provinces. Travel back and forth at least eight to ten times a year via Airfare. I don't get a living allowance and I can't deduct my airfare on my taxes as a work expense. So, I can totally sympathize with congress.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I live in two Provinces. Travel back and forth at least eight to ten times a year via Airfare. I don't get a living allowance and I can't deduct my airfare on my taxes as a work expense. So, I can totally sympathize with congress.

Do you work for the same employer in those two different provinces or do you just choose not to live where you work?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
But anyways. I never said they have it bad. Just pointing out how it compares to other elected representatives.

Compared to who?

Maybe it would make more sense to simply separate it out so it is more clear. They get x amount for the cost of living in Washington, and x as an actual salary.

It is clear. They get paid $174K per year which is an incredible salary. Far greater than the average income of a US family. AND they are not the only people who live in the DC area.

AND... they are elected and know the salary going into the election and what the job entails. Don't expect much sympathy for a man or woman who wins a seat in the US Congress and then complains they're not paid enough.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Don't the various lobby groups, ah, offer to provide a little helping-hand every now and then?

Absolutely. They can get dinners, junkets, etc. They have free parking around the Capital, a gym and there really isn't much heavy lifting.

They're entitled and they do not like to spend their money. They feel others should for them.

I heard a joke in some movie... "It is impossible to get a bar full of politicians and professional athletes out of a bar... None of them want to pick up the check!"