Remember the 'Chocolate City Mayor'?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
So it turns out that Ray Nagin, the Democratic ex-mayor of New Orleans best known for his furious denunciations of the Bush administration in their response to Hurricane Katrina, wasn’t exactly acting with the city’s best interests at heart himself. The guy left office in 2010 with bottom-of-the-barrel approval ratings and insisted that he wouldn’t be running for political office again — and I think this just about seals the deal on that. The sentencing is still to come, but each of the 20 charges of which he was convicted carries a sentence of at least several years, and he could be looking at a nice long prison term. Via CNN:
Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, whose desperate pleas for help during Hurricane Katrina drew national attention, walked silently out of a courthouse Wednesday after a jury convicted him of federal corruption charges.

Nagin was elected as a reformer in 2002. But after a two-week trial that began in late January, he was found guilty of 20 out of 21 counts of bribery, money laundering, fraud and filing false tax returns, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. The sole acquittal was on one of the bribery counts. …

The charges detailed more than $200,000 in bribes to the mayor, and his family members allegedly received a vacation in Hawaii; first-class airfare to Jamaica; private jet travel and a limousine for New York City; and cellular phone service. In exchange, businesses that coughed up cash for Nagin and his family won more than $5 million in city contracts, according to the January 2013 indictment.

more crooked and chocolatey goodness

Former NOLA mayor found guilty of bribery, fraud, laundering in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina « Hot Air

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Nagin (Democrat) is just another racist.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And the person who was truly to blame for the lack of response and preparedness during and after Hurricane Katrina.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
chocolate, fuk yeah...

NEW ORLEANS — Former mayor Ray Nagin, the businessman-turned-politician who became the worldwide face of the city after Hurricane Katrina, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Wednesday.

Nagin, 58, was ordered to report to federal prison Sept. 8 and to pay restitution of $82,000. He was found guilty Feb. 12 of fraud, bribery and related charges involving crimes that took place before and after Katrina devastated the city in August 2005.

Prosecutors immediately objected to the sentence, which falls well below typical guidelines that called for 15-20 years.

"What Ray Nagin did was sell his office over and over and over again," Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew Coman said outside the courthouse. "The damage that Ray Nagin inflicted upon this community ... is incalculable. We as a community need not and should not accept public corruption."

Coman said a decision on whether to appeal will be made by U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli.

Judge Ginger Berrigan determined that Nagin did not have a leadership role in the criminal conspiracy, saying all defendants are "equally culpable."

"Mr. Nagin's crimes were motivated in part by a deeply misguided desire to provide for those closest to him," she said.

Before announcing the sentence, Berrigan indicated she would "downwardly depart from guidelines" and that "sentencing imposed should reflect Nagin's ability to harm the public again."

Nagin said he would "trust in God that this would all work out."

A jury convicted Nagin of accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes — money, free vacation trips and truckloads of free granite for his family business — from businessmen who wanted work from the city or Nagin's support for various hurricane recovery projects.

Prosecutors asked the court to send Nagin to prison for a long time. They argued that he was found guilty of 20 of 21 counts in the indictment, and that he participated in and orchestrated a years-long conspiracy to enrich himself and his family.

The government also argued that Nagin spent years covering up his crimes and that his testimony during the two-week trial showed an unwillingness to accept responsibility for his actions.

more

Ex-New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin sentenced to 10 years

related

Networks Won't Call Convicted Ex-New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin a Democrat | NewsBusters

rob ford

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
And the person who was truly to blame for the lack of response and preparedness during and after Hurricane Katrina.

I think FEMA still owns this one. (But as you know that organization is personally overseen by the president so it must therefore be the president's fault.)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I think FEMA still owns this one. (But as you know that organization is personally overseen by the president so it must therefore be the president's fault.)
This is not FEMA, this is on the mayor. He could have used these buses to evacuate his citizens.
http://www.katrinadestruction.com/images/d/13172-4/swamped+school+buses

I guess saying Nagin is a Democrat is as bad as saying he's a n-word.
ABC, CBS Go 3-for-3: Refuse to ID Nagin as Democrat After Indictment, Conviction, and Sentencing | NewsBusters

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

FEMA falls under the Department of Homeland Security.

Nagin was totally unprepared for Katrina and did close to nothing. He was a good Democrat and whined a lot though...he gets a "A+" in that category. Perhaps he was too busy stuffing his pockets.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Nagin was a power politician who really never lived in that city. He maintained an apartment there. He was noted to be a high life type using taxpayer money to support his activities. I'll bet ghe appeals and never really does any hard time in a real prison.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
{Nagin} And the person who was truly to blame for the lack of response and preparedness during and after Hurricane Katrina.

wiki:

Although Mayor Ray Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city, many people refused to leave, which a CNN writer described as "gambling with their own lives."[18]

By the time Hurricane Katrina came ashore early the next morning, Mayor Nagin estimated that approximately one million people had fled the city and its surrounding suburbs.[21]

Nagin supervised the flight to safety of about one million. But other people refused to heed his warning.

238 people died in Mississippi during Katrina and others did in various parishes throughout Louisiana - is Nagin responsible for these as well?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nagin is responsible for the deaths in Mississippi or in the outlying parishes which were not directly impacted by the destruction of the sea walls in NOLA?

You're so whacked. You are just out there... way out there.

We're talking about Nagin in NEW ORLEANS... not M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I.

Geez.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
You're so whacked. You are just out there... way out there.

We're talking about Nagin in NEW ORLEANS... not M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I.

Geez.

quoting you:

''And the person who was truly to blame for the lack of response and preparedness during and after Hurricane Katrina.''

As wiki shows he did all he could and saved one million lives. Yeah he was a crook but certainly not a killer as you suggest in your wacky rant.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
quoting you:

''And the person who was truly to blame for the lack of response and preparedness during and after Hurricane Katrina.''

And where was Mississippi in that?

You are aware that Nagin was the Mayor of New Orleans aren't you?

I know libs are very slow to the point but I would like to think they have some sort of brain activity.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Perhaps if you set aside your emotionalism and hatred for the Democrats you might possibly be able to discern that there was plenty of blame to go around. Nagin saved lives and was not responsible for monitoring the safety of sea walls which is done by the federal Army Corps of Engineers. In your hatred and emotionalism you conveniently like to put the blame exclusively on Nagin (see your own quote). For all his faults he should be the last person to blame for what happened.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Listen to you! Preaching about hatred and emotions. That was rich Gopher... truly.

Nagin was responsible for his city and his actions leading up to and after Katrina were unacceptable in NEW ORLEANS.