New Mexico Court Rules Non-English Speaking Citizens Can Serve On Juries

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Que?

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — The New Mexico Supreme Court is cautioning trial courts and lawyers that citizens who don’t speak English have the right to serve on juries.

The court issued the admonition in a ruling that upholds an Albuquerque man’s convictions for murder and other crimes in the bludgeoning death of his girlfriend and a subsequent armed robbery and stabbing.

Michael Samora’s appeal argued that his convictions should be reversed because a Bernalillo County judge excused a Spanish-speaking prospective juror who had trouble understanding English.

lost in translation

New Mexico Court Rules Non-English Speaking Citizens Can Serve On Juries « CBS Las Vegas

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If I was on trial for something the last thing I'd want is for somebody who can't even speak the lingo serving on the jury.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ever heard of translators?
I'm not really keen on having to pay translators hundreds of dollars an hour for a lengthy trial...now if the defense needs a translator for their client then yes otherwise, it doesn't really work for me

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not really keen on having to pay translators hundreds of dollars an hour for a lengthy trial...now if the defense needs a translator for their client then yes otherwise, it doesn't really work for me
In Canada we pay out the *** to have French translators in courts, cops, hospitals, airports etc in areas of Canada where French speaking Canadians are something you only see on TV.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
In Canada we pay out the *** to have French translators in courts, cops, hospitals, airports etc in areas of Canada where French speaking Canadians are something you only see on TV.
yes but it is an official language

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
yes but it is an official language
That's kinda the point. Because the U.S. has no official language, excluding a juror for inability to speak or understand English would be discrimination.

By the way, everybody, please note the context. Before y'all get all het up over them gol-dang immigrants comin' here and demanding special treatment, this WASN'T about a non-English speaker demanding to be on a jury. This was about the lawyer of a convicted criminal trying to get his client off by claiming it's unConstitutional to have a non-English speaker on the jury.

The technical legal term for this is "grasping at straws."

Nonetheless, you'd be surprised at how often it works.