U.S. infatuation with celebrity lifestyle killing the American dream

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
U.S. President Barack Obama has hit out at society’s infatuation with celebrity culture and suggested it might be killing the American dream.

In a wide-ranging interview, Mr. Obama also criticized a change in society he said had led to the wealthier elements feeling the need to engage in “conspicuous consumption.”

On Tuesday, Mr. Obama visited one of Amazon’s distribution centres in Chattanooga, Tenn., and sat down for an interview with David Blum, editor of Kindle Singles, a section that deals with short e-books.

Mr. Obama began the interview talking about how his family and his wife’s family had struggled, but took responsibility for what they did, did not rely on government handouts and worked hard for their success.

“I think every kid has some fantasies about what they’d like to have. But I can’t tell you how many people I meet in my generation who will say, ‘Looking back on it, we didn’t have a lot, but we didn’t feel poor.’ The reason was because the American dream involved some pretty basic stuff. A good job where you felt some security. A good education, and the ability to get a higher education if you wanted to pursue it. Health care you could count on,” said Mr. Obama.

more words of wisdom

U.S. infatuation with celebrity lifestyle killing the American dream: Barack Obama | National Post

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When all else fails, blame Hollywood.

And at this point, all else has pretty much failed. At least, all else that the current crowd of politicians has the wit to try (or even conceive).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Was there ever an American dream to start with?

From what I've seen on telly America is a place I've never fancied living in.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Strange, the desire to have a much better life than what I had as a child, gave me the incentive to get an education, and work myself up from poverty. I still do not have a High School Diploma (I dropped out after the first semester of the 11th grade), but I have earned my Doctorate in Rehabilitation Counseling.

Personally, I think that far too many "leaders" do more to encourage people to stay in poverty, than they do to encourage people to work their way out of it.