15 Classic Children’s Books That Have Been Banned In America

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ah, book banning. The last resort of the truly stupid.

I'm with ya' kid.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Banned in America? A public library tossing a book out is considered banned in America? PC complainers sure have a way of making mountains out of mole hills.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Total misnomer. Not one of these books is banned in America. A school or a state may have removed it from a shelf but not one of them is banned.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Banned in America? A public library tossing a book out is considered banned in America? PC complainers sure have a way of making mountains out of mole hills.

I can buy every one of these books in America.

Total misnomer. Not one of these books is banned in America. A school or a state may have removed it from a shelf but not one of them is banned.
I guess an American public library, an American school, or an American state isn't IN America.
Get it? If it's banned somewhere in America, it's banned in America somewhere.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I guess an American public library, an American school, or an American state isn't IN America.
If you choose not to buy a book do you consider it a ban?

There are a million books I'm not interested in owning but they really aren't on my ban list.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Oh please.
Please what? Have they or have they not been banned IN America?

If you choose not to buy a book do you consider it a ban?
No, but what does that have to do with the topic?

There are a million books I'm not interested in owning but they really aren't on my ban list.
So? What does that have to do with the topic?

Apparently so. If you choose not to have them in your bookcase for whatever reason... you have banned them.
You guys really do have a problem with understanding English. I'm saddened by that.
If a store, school, library, etc. refuses to have a book in its establishment, it has banned it from being there.
If you haven't got a book in your pocket simply because you aren't interested in it, you'd probably still accept it if someone gave you a copy and passed it on to someone who would want it. That's not banning. Actively pitching it out and refusing to have any more copies of it is banning it.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I didn't realize that not owning something constituted a ban. I am really behind the times, I will order my ban-tracking software immediately. Mercedes Benz - BANNED, Apple MacBook - BANNED ...

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
When I was in highschool in the mid to late 50's there were parents who wanted to ban the Tarzan books from the school library because Tarzan and Jane weren't married. Then they also had heartburn with John Steinbeck's books, for much the same reasons. Fortunately I had already read the Steinbeck books outside of school. We had a couple of real libraries in the town. I was so lucky my grandmother took me to the library when I was 5 and unlike many parents of the time she didn't put any restrictions on my reading.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

The OP title states that the books are banned in AMERICA.....full stop. This is completely untrue as, IF they were banned in America, then one would be unable to legally purchase said books IN America.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And alcohol consumption is banned in Canada. You want proof? come to my home and you won't find any alcohol. And I live in Canada. So I guess alcohol is banned in Canada. Same with smoking and meat and eggs and milk.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lmao Unf'nreal. It doesn't say that those books are banned everywhere in America. Just some places that happen to be IN America. So either those schools, libraries, and states are IN America or they aren't.

And alcohol consumption is banned in Canada. You want proof? come to my home and you won't find any alcohol. And I live in Canada. So I guess alcohol is banned in Canada. Same with smoking and meat and eggs and milk.
So you actively prevent any of those products from entering your home? And if you do actively prevent them from being in your home, isn't your home IN Canada? There's a freakin difference between being banned in Canada somewhere and being banned BY Canada. Same goes for the States.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Pretty soon the only thing on Television will be Friday Night at the Tractor Factory.
What the hell are they thinking. It isn't even the books so much as they want to
shield and control the children from life itself. So there is some swearing, so there
is some talking back and sexual connotations.
This happens in real life everyday and they the kids know it. If you want to lose
respect of children lie to them and pretend there are no bad things. The true way
to communicate with kids is to be up front. Not only read or let them read it discuss
it with them. Sometimes the meanings parents read into things are not the meaning
the child comes away with.
Some of these are timeless classics and they show the kids where we were as a
society and how much we've improved. I am Grandpa and as such i hear all kinds of
things I don't like but they communicate with me. I sometimes get to head off some
bad choices without preaching, why because the door is open.
The nut cases are on the far left with etiquette issues and correctness and on the right
with the Jesus wouldn't like attitude. The rest of us in the middle sit and suffer in silence.
Maybe its time the majority of the middle road said P*ss Off to other two groups. The
kids would respect us more than hiding a book from them. Besides if you ban it they
will read it somehow