Supreme Court strikes down Arizona law

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
requiring proof of citizenship to vote

The Supreme Court on Monday struck down an Arizona law that requires people to submit proof of citizenship when they register to vote.

The vote was 7-2. Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the majority, said that a 1993 federal law known as the Motor Voter Act takes precedence over the Arizona law because of its requirement that states “accept and use” the federal voter registration form.

Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito, two members of the court’s conservative wing, dissented.

Only a handful of states have similar laws, which the states say are meant to reduce voter fraud. Civil rights groups said the Arizona law was an effort to discourage voting by legal immigrants, and they worried that more states would have followed if the Supreme Court had upheld it.

more

Supreme Court strikes down Arizona law requiring proof of citizenship to vote - U.S. News

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't see the problem with showing proof of citizenship in doing something entitled and exclusive to a citizen. Otherwise, anybody could vote without even meating minimum requirements.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That will teach you to point fingers.. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I would assume you do. Do you not have to show some id to show you are who you say you are when you vote?

Not in the United States. You do not need any ID at all. Requiring an ID to vote is considered racist.

Or can I glance at the top of the list and say I am Bob Adams?

Exactly! That is all you have to do. If you know a name and a street address all one needs to do is beat that person to the polling station. You will not be asked for an ID and you will be given a ballot.

Don't you have to show some sort of proof when you register to vote?

Nope... no ID needed. Just have an address (real or fake) and a name. That's all you need to do Christianna!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not in the United States. You do not need any ID at all. Requiring an ID to vote is considered racist.

Exactly! That is all you have to do. If you know a name and a street address all one needs to do is beat that person to the polling station. You will not be asked for an ID and you will be given a ballot.

I am shocked. I believe I had to show id when I voted here. Didn't have to be 'proof of citizenship' but had to show I was X living at Y address which matched the pollsters records. If I was not on the list, they did have a procedure for adding at the time and I can't speak to what was required to add but there wasn't going to be anybody voting for me but me if I was already on the list. They compiled list from the tax people and door to door surveys and the previous list. In this process, they verified I was a citizen I assume (it was so long ago that I first voted). But I think that may just be a matter of me ticking a box so I shouldn't get too high on my horse.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I am shocked. I believe I had to show id when I voted here. Didn't have to be 'proof of citizenship' but had to show I was X living at Y address which matched the pollsters records. If I was not on the list, they did have a procedure for adding at the time and I can't speak to what was required to add but there wasn't going to be anybody voting for me but me if I was already on the list. They compiled list from the tax people and door to door surveys and the previous list. In this process, they verified I was a citizen I assume (it was so long ago that I first voted). But I think that may just be a matter of me ticking a box so I shouldn't get too high on my horse.
Not only ID, but photo ID.....and one of the ladies handing me my ballot, I had known for at least 40 years.....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Oh the irony! Right wingers demand that people present ID when they register to vote but not to buy a gun or other weapon as that makes purchasers traceable and reduces their "rights".

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh the irony! Right wingers demand that people present ID when they register to vote but not to buy a gun or other weapon as that makes purchasers traceable and reduces their "rights".

Embellish much? No license/permit needed to buy a gun?

I went to the police station...got a mug shot and finger printed... then I was issued a firearms permit.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

That must really p-iss off the named guy if he shows up to vote and finds out he already has. Though given the low voter turnout I imagine a fair number of them dont show up at all anyway. I dont mind showing ID. Id rather show ID than risk having someone else take my vote.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
doesn't this leave the system wide open for corruption by stacking the vote?

I could just find out who hasn't voted for years, get their names and addresses and voila...100 extra votes for me?

what am I missing here?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I could just find out who hasn't voted for years, get their names and addresses and voila...100 extra votes for me?

You can potentially do it with the dead too. My grandfather apparently was still on the list in 1997 - even though he died three years earlier. My grandmother straightened that out though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Which can be something as simple as a phone bill or a person with ID can vouch for another. Nothing about whether or not you are fully Canadian.
at my polling station I don't think you can just vouch for someone...it's fairly tight which is why the cons had to play that sleazy telephone con or was it the libs...whoever...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
at my polling station I don't think you can just vouch for someone...it's fairly tight which is why the cons had to play that sleazy telephone con or was it the libs...whoever...
Yup you can. I'm a DRO and have done it Federally and Provincially.