It Gets Deeper

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

By Juliet Eilperin and Zachary A. Goldfarb

Internal Revenue Service officials in Washington and at least two other offices were involved with investigating conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status, making clear that the effort reached well beyond the branch in Cincinnati that was initially blamed, according to documents obtained by The Washington Post.

IRS officials at the agency’s Washington headquarters sent queries to conservative groups asking about their donors and other aspects of their operations, while officials in the El Monte and Laguna Niguel offices in California sent similar questionnaires to tea-party-affiliated groups, the documents show.

IRS employees in Cincinnati told conservatives seeking the status of “social welfare” groups that a task force in Washington was overseeing their applications, according to interviews with the activists.

Lois G. Lerner, who oversees tax-exempt groups for the IRS, told reporters Friday that the “absolutely inappropriate” actions were undertaken by “front-line people” working in Cincinnati to target groups with “tea party,” “patriot” or “9/12” in their names.

In one instance, however, Ron Bell, an IRS employee, informed a lawyer representing a conservative group focused on voter fraud that the application was under review in Washington. On several other occasions, IRS officials in Washington and California sent conservative groups detailed questionnaires about their voter outreach and other activities, according to the documents.http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...nual-report-from-the-irs-tax-exempt-division/

“For the IRS to say it was some low-level group in Cincinnati is simply false,” said Cleta Mitchell, a partner in the law firm Foley & Lardner who sought to communicate with IRS headquarters about the delay in granting tax-exempt status to True the Vote.

Moreover, details of the IRS’s efforts to target conservative groups reached the highest levels of the agency in May 2012, far earlier than has been disclosed, according to Republican congressional aides briefed by the IRS and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration ­(TIGTA) on the details of their reviews.

IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups - The Washington Post

Unbelievable. You get caught, you know there's an investigation coming, so you lie. Yeah, that'll help.

Ya can't fix stupid.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I hope not, but this is way more clear and way less politicised than Benghazi. Partisan conduct by the taxing authority is really bad news.

You might think Benghazi is politicized. I think it was a whitewash. By the way, I preferred Obama to Mitt, but I still think when someone gets someone killed and tries to cover it up they should be held responsible.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You might think Benghazi is politicized. I think it was a whitewash.
It can be, and in this case is, both.

By the way, I preferred Obama to Mitt, but I still think when someone gets someone killed and tries to cover it up they should be held responsible.
Funny, I voted for Romney, and I agree an investigation is in order. Of course, one was already done, but it didn't give Congress a chance to express their OUTRAGE!