IRS knew tea party targeted in 2011


Locutus
#1
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senior Internal Revenue Service officials knew agents were targeting tea party groups as early as 2011, according to a draft of an inspector general's report obtained by The Associated Press that seemingly contradicts public statements by the IRS commissioner.

The IRS apologized Friday for what it acknowledged was "inappropriate" targeting of conservative political groups during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status. The agency blamed low-level employees, saying no high-level officials were aware.

more

News from The Associated Press


Along with targeting tea-party groups, the IRS may also have given extra-special attention to the tax-exempt status of some Jewish groups for political reasons.

IRS Inquisition Update | National Review Online



Ways and Means to IRS: ‘Provide All Communications Containing Words ‘Tea Party,’ ‘Patriot,’ or ‘Conservative’—By Wednesday


The House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Oversight has thrown down an investigative gauntlet to the Internal Revenue Service, demanding that the agency hand over by next Wednesday every communication in its records that includes the words “tea party,” “patriot” or “conservative.” The committee is also demanding of the IRS that by next Wednesday it provide the committee with the names and titles of all individuals who were involved in targeting conservative non-profit groups for more intensive review of their applications for non-profit status.

Ways and Means to IRS: ‘Provide All Communications Containing Words ‘Tea Party,’ ‘Patriot,’ or ‘Conservative’—By Wednesday | CNS News
 
Highball
+1
#2
That was a tool for Reagan, Bush, Clinton and others in the White House. I don't think it will ever end either. Nixon tried to break the Goldwater's using the IRS as a weapon.
 
Dixie Cup
Libertarian
#3
low level employees - yeah, right!
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#4
Anyone using their political view to target someone in a job that is supposed to be impartial to politics should be removed from said position.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#5
Obama should be impeached.
 
Walter
#6
More on this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/op...tea-party.html
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senior Internal Revenue Service officials knew agents were targeting tea party groups as early as 2011, according to a draft of an inspector general's report obtained by The Associated Press that seemingly contradicts public statements by the IRS commissioner.

The IRS apologized Friday for what it acknowledged was "inappropriate" targeting of conservative political groups during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status. The agency blamed low-level employees, saying no high-level officials were aware.

more

News from The Associated Press


Along with targeting tea-party groups, the IRS may also have given extra-special attention to the tax-exempt status of some Jewish groups for political reasons.

IRS Inquisition Update | National Review Online



Ways and Means to IRS: ‘Provide All Communications Containing Words ‘Tea Party,’ ‘Patriot,’ or ‘Conservative’—By Wednesday


The House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Oversight has thrown down an investigative gauntlet to the Internal Revenue Service, demanding that the agency hand over by next Wednesday every communication in its records that includes the words “tea party,” “patriot” or “conservative.” The committee is also demanding of the IRS that by next Wednesday it provide the committee with the names and titles of all individuals who were involved in targeting conservative non-profit groups for more intensive review of their applications for non-profit status.

Ways and Means to IRS: ‘Provide All Communications Containing Words ‘Tea Party,’ ‘Patriot,’ or ‘Conservative’—By Wednesday | CNS News

Yeah, the FBI have been using the IRS as a blunt instrument since Scarface n the boys were doing their nasties.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#8
I wonder if they are auditing Wally?
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I wonder if they are auditing Wally?

lol don't think about it too hard....
 
Walter
#10
The plot sickens.

IRS targeted groups that criticized the government, IG report says
 
Walter
#11
As a tax accountant she'd know how the IRS is run.

Why Obama released embarrassing IRS bombshell
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

As a tax accountant she'd know how the IRS is run.

Why Obama released embarrassing IRS bombshell

Poor Walmart. Doesn't know the difference between a tax accountant and a tax attorney.

Ya just can't fix stupid.
 
DaSleeper
+4
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Poor (Walmart.)

Ya just can't fix stupid.

Or immature .............
 
Corduroy
+2
#14
Why in the world would a tax collecting agency suspect an anti-tax group of violating tax law?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Why in the world would a tax collecting agency suspect an anti-tax group of violating tax law?


Good point Senator McCarthy
 
EagleSmack
+3
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Or immature .............

I second.
 
Locutus
+1
#17
I sense a vacation coming up soon for our troll.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#18
I see a Hissy Fit coming from her soon....
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I second.

Smacky, you've mastered counting to two!

I'm so proud of you.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I see a Hissy Fit coming from her soon....


Get your popcorn... The troll is back and in a fightin' mood.

By the way, I think that what you really meant to say was that a Horsey Fit was coming
Last edited by captain morgan; May 13th, 2013 at 04:44 PM..
 
petros
+1
#21
Good ahead. Keep trusting Govt. See where it gets you.
 
Tonington
#22
In Canada the Conservatives were clamping down on registered charities too, only the media focussed on environmental groups. The IRS should be looking at the political activities of registered charities, just like CRA should. Whether they're being discriminatory, well that should be investigated if there is some evidence.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by HighballView Post

That was a tool for Reagan, Bush, Clinton and others in the White House. I don't think it will ever end either. Nixon tried to break the Goldwater's using the IRS as a weapon.


That is correct - both the IRS & FBI did that to Catholic and other peace groups in the 1960s right up the Bush wars. Nobody objected back then and the news media looked the other way.
 
Walter
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Nobody objected back then and the news media looked the other way.

Yeah, the media has always hated the Bamster.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Why in the world would a tax collecting agency suspect an anti-tax group of violating tax law?

I don't know what all the hubbub is about. I'm all for profiling as a means of targeting individuals most at risk of offending. Why shouldn't the IRS target anti tax people? Why shouldn't the FBI target extreme fundamentalist Muslims?
 
EagleSmack
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Smacky, you've mastered counting to two!

I'm so proud of you.

You're such an idiot. Grow up.
 
Locutus
#27
via sda:

If you truly care, you must share


It's all about team building:
The latest IRS scandal is getting worse -- and the official watchdog's report hasn't even been released yet. Today we learned that the same IRS office that admitted to targeting Tea Party groups for extra scrutiny also released confidential documents from several conservative groups to "independent" (that is, liberal) news organization ProPublica...
h/t marc in calgary
 
petros
#28
Only a complete and total moron would accept the word of Gov. as truth.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

You're such an idiot. Grow up.

To please you? Sorry, not a high priority.
 
Colpy
Conservative
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

In Canada the Conservatives were clamping down on registered charities too, only the media focussed on environmental groups. The IRS should be looking at the political activities of registered charities, just like CRA should. Whether they're being discriminatory, well that should be investigated if there is some evidence.

Here's some evidence...

Revealed: See the Letter the IRS Sent to One Local Tea Party and the Detailed Demands It Made | Video | TheBlaze.com

Oh....and then they released confidential information to the press.

Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

That is correct - both the IRS & FBI did that to Catholic and other peace groups in the 1960s right up the Bush wars. Nobody objected back then and the news media looked the other way.

If nobody had objected, you wouldn't know about it.
 

Similar Threads

90
Tea Party Members Targeted????
by DaSleeper | Feb 9th, 2011
6
Emery being targeted by police?
by Avro | Feb 11th, 2008
3
New York: Targeted By Tehran?
by Stretch | Feb 27th, 2007
1
Gun Trade Targeted at U.N.
by I think not | Jan 13th, 2006
no new posts