150 Major Democratic Donors Urge Obama to Reject Keystone Pipeline

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
150 Major Democratic Donors Urge Obama to Reject Keystone Pipeline

In the latest show of force by opponents of the Keystone XL pipeline, a group of 150 major Democratic donors sent a letter Friday to President Obama, urging him to reject the controversial application from TransCanada for permission to send more than 800,000 barrels of tar sands oil a day from Alberta to the Texas Gulf Coast.

The signatories comprise business leaders, philanthropists and celebrities—including clean energy entrepreneurs Vinod Khosla, Jigar Shah and Steve Kirsch, long-time Obama bundler Wendy Abrams and actress Blythe Danner.

"We urge you to proclaim with clarity and purpose that our nation will transition away from carbon-based fossil fuels to job creating clean energy," the letter said. "As challenging as this may be, the costs pale in comparison to the human consequences of unchecked climate disruption."

Betsy Taylor, president of Breakthrough Strategies & Solutions, who organized the effort over the last few weeks, has been working with a growing network of donors for the last year. She said the majority of donors who signed the letter gave the maximum allowable amount to the Obama campaign and the Democratic party in both 2008 and 2012, and a number of them also bundled or raised additional funds. They have also raised the Keystone issue directly with the president, with the Obama for America campaign, and with administration officials, she said.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada will visit the United States next week to intensify efforts to secure approval of the pipeline. A decision is not expected before late summer or in the fall, at the earliest.

"The White House is being besieged each and every day by TransCanada, the Harper government and fossil fuel interests," Taylor said. "Running away from big challenges is not the American way. I remain hopeful that President Obama will deny the Keystone XL permit and step up to the climate challenge."

In an e-mail to the Washington Post, White House spokesman Clark Stevens declined to comment on what the administration would decide to do about Keystone.

150 Major Democratic Donors Urge Obama to Reject Keystone Pipeline | InsideClimate News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I really do hope that KXL does not get approved.... It would be the best thing for Canada's O&G sector and kick a lot more taxes into the coffers.

Let's just hope and pray that the White House gets the message from the eco-lobby in the US

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
The Keystone proposal is a sham. The pipeline runs trough our nation with hardly any regulation or maintenance and then the product after being refined will be exported by big oil. WHY? This will run roughshod over the properties of many using political pressure.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I really do hope that KXL does not get approved.... It would be the best thing for Canada's O&G sector and kick a lot more taxes into the coffers.

Let's just hope and pray that the White House gets the message from the eco-lobby in the US

Pray tell - how would it be the "best thing for Canada's O&G? Enlighten me please. Today seems to be a day for learning;understanding for me lol.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Pray tell - how would it be the "best thing for Canada's O&G? Enlighten me please. Today seems to be a day for learning;understanding for me lol.

Fist of all we get to truck that stuff instead of move it via pipeline. It takes a lot of trucks to move that much product.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Northern Gateway and/or the reversing of a TCPL line to Ontario will open the Asian and European markets directly to Canada. As it stands, the oil gets shipped to the Gulf Coast where it is refined and sold onto the international markets at a premium.

The White House is playing their games and the O&G sector in the US is buying Canadian crude at a discount because South is the only option right now... Change that equation and add in new buyers to compete for the resource and you'll see an immediate increase in the price of Canadian crude.

More money and EBITA for the private sector translates into more taxes collected by the provinces and Feds.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
He's still humming and hawing on this issue... But the longer he takes, the more heavily that Northern Gateway and the TCPL line will be considered.

Let him hum and haw all he wants. His mind is already made up. He's just trying to figure out how to stab his eco-supporters in the back with a bit of finesse.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Petrochemicals are a marvellous feedstock . The best use is to utilise them as far as possible in domestic industry. Its 'Value added'.

the gulf Coast refiners wanted the XL as a bargaining chip against Orinoco sour.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
the gulf Coast refiners wanted the XL as a bargaining chip against Orinoco sour.

Trans ocean transport from Venezuela will cost a lot in the medium and long terms... Makes far more economic sense to install infrastructure.

Besides, the Gulf Coast refiners are making a lot of cash on selling refined product to the international markets, let alone within their own nation.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Trans ocean transport from Venezuela will cost a lot in the medium and long terms... Makes far more economic sense to install infrastructure.

Besides, the Gulf Coast refiners are making a lot of cash on selling refined product to the international markets, let alone within their own nation.

ca na fait a Rien. The same tankers backhaul refined products to the Caribbean and Central South America. Jamaican heavy grid runs off Gulf coast feedstock.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Given he cant stand for re-election he doesnt really have to listen to donors if he doesnt want to.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
ca na fait a Rien. The same tankers backhaul refined products to the Caribbean and Central South America. Jamaican heavy grid runs off Gulf coast feedstock.

Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean couldn't act as any kind of customer of significane to the Gulf refiners.. Besides, there are already a couple/three refineries in the Caribbean

Given he cant stand for re-election he doesnt really have to listen to donors if he doesnt want to.

He still waited too long.... This new line will effectively remove 1 MM bbls/day from he US system along with the revenues, jobs and taxation that goes with it

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean couldn't act as any kind of customer of significane to the Gulf refiners.. Besides, there are already a couple/three refineries in the Caribbean

He still waited too long.... This new line will effectively remove 1 MM bbls/day from he US system along with the revenues, jobs and taxation that goes with it

A rien a rien a rein.. the Caribbean is the ' local haul back.':lol:

Aruba and the Virgin ISLANDS BECAME "STORAGE DEPOTS" YEARS AGO>>>"

Refineries in Cuba...:smile:

The USA is a ' reluctant buyers market', CM. XL might make sense in a decade or so.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A rien a rien a rein.. the Caribbean is the ' local haul back.':lol:

Any mode of transport wants cargo both ways... Hauling empty gets charged back to the customer

Aruba and the Virgin ISLANDS BECAME "STORAGE DEPOTS" YEARS AGO>>>"

Tax advantages and they still supply international consumers at a profit... Think about it

Refineries in Cuba...:smile:

???

The USA is a ' reluctant buyers market', CM. XL might make sense in a decade or so.

The USA is smart... They buy Cdn crude at a discount, apply a value-add and sell it internationally (incl back to Canada)... They are a distributor/wholesaler of the product - that's the smart move.... That is, up until BHO crapped the bed.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Any mode of transport wants cargo both ways... Hauling empty gets charged back to the customer

Tax advantages and they still supply international consumers at a profit... Think about it

???

The USA is smart... They buy Cdn crude at a discount, apply a value-add and sell it internationally (incl back to Canada)... They are a distributor/wholesaler of the product - that's the smart move.... That is, up until BHO crapped the bed.

Yep. They buy our feedstock, ship us tires back.
Venezuela tankers buy Cuban refined products. Back haul to South America.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Northern Gateway and/or the reversing of a TCPL line to Ontario will open the Asian and European markets directly to Canada. As it stands, the oil gets shipped to the Gulf Coast where it is refined and sold onto the international markets at a premium.

The White House is playing their games and the O&G sector in the US is buying Canadian crude at a discount because South is the only option right now... Change that equation and add in new buyers to compete for the resource and you'll see an immediate increase in the price of Canadian crude.

More money and EBITA for the private sector translates into more taxes collected by the provinces and Feds.

That is actually a good point. The 1 million bbls we import per day is replaceable by two new refineries to handle super heavy crude.

WHAT you may see is the TCP running through the Northern States to Detroit, and a super sized refinery built in Detroit, to park a new polymers industry. One more in central Canada.

XL is - "just not wanted'- interferes with Venezuela and increasingly, Brazil as a 'secured source'. And raises the price in the mid west- like Chicago....