US won't allow Raul Castro's daughter to visit Philly

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
to receive gay activism award

PHILADELPHIA – The daughter of Cuba President Raul Castro cannot visit Philadelphia to receive an award for her gay rights activism because the State Department has denied her permission to travel there, officials said Thursday.

Mariela Castro had been expected to attend a conference next week on civil rights for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities sponsored by the Equality Forum, according to Malcolm Lazin, the advocacy group's executive director.

"We find it shocking that our State Department would deny freedom of speech, particularly at an international civil rights summit, to anyone, let alone the Cuban president's daughter," Lazin said.

more

US won't allow Raul Castro's daughter to visit Philly to receive gay activism award | Fox News

h/t Fark

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
they are making a big mistake and it will cause a huge backlash amongst gay and human rights groups...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The way it goes "When in doubt be Petty" You would think they would be happy
to allow her to come to America. Instead the people of Cuba will see for themselves
freedom is subjective. Its like saying "Of course I believe in freedom, as long as its
convenient"

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
to receive gay activism award

PHILADELPHIA – The daughter of Cuba President Raul Castro cannot visit Philadelphia to receive an award for her gay rights activism because the State Department has denied her permission to travel there, officials said Thursday.

Mariela Castro had been expected to attend a conference next week on civil rights for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities sponsored by the Equality Forum, according to Malcolm Lazin, the advocacy group's executive director.

"We find it shocking that our State Department would deny freedom of speech, particularly at an international civil rights summit, to anyone, let alone the Cuban president's daughter," Lazin said.

more

US won't allow Raul Castro's daughter to visit Philly to receive gay activism award | Fox News

h/t Fark
Oddly enough Fidel Castro's daughter lives in Florida.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Another over reaction by some idiot in the US organization who regulates the issuing of Visitors Visa's. I have family residing in a northwest area of Spain who is being denied because of the fear of Separatists membership. None of this makes sense to me. I do understand the issues of security. But why this approach when many of known Terrorists organization seem to be allowed to move freely across international borders. One thing impossible to fix in government is "Stupidity."

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I'm always amused by the USA's reaction to all things Communist Cuba but their open embracement of Communist China.........

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Responding to the OP: Good.
so Walter, you have prompted me to wonder: do you and I have even one thing that we would agree on...I'm just kinda musing on that this aft...like every single post I see I go well maaay, naaaaaaaaaaaaah not even close... :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hey... the Obama Administration reached out to Cuba at the very beginning of his first term. The Cuban Govt. slapped his hand away.

The Cubans NEED this embargo to maintain power. Once the embargo is lifted and the travel restrictions are gone... so long Revolution!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The way it goes "When in doubt be Petty" You would think they would be happy to allow her to come to America. Instead the people of Cuba will see for themselves freedom is subjective. Its like saying "Of course I believe in freedom, as long as its convenient"

BS.

This has nothing to do with freedom, and everything to do with international relationships and exercising sovereignty. The US has the right to bar any non-citizen from entering the country, just as Canada does, just as Cuba does and every other country on the globe. This isn't about being against gay rights or any such thing: its about the piss poor relationship between Havana and Washington... which at this point is as much, if not more Havana's fault than anyone else's.

But feel free to keep hating on the US: its what "real" Canadians are all about, right?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They've always been a little paranoid about the Cubans.

Paranoid? How so? They are irrelevant. Cuba does not affect us one bit. They are no threat to us at all.

The only whining comes from these types.

The way it goes "When in doubt be Petty" You would think they would be happy
to allow her to come to America. Instead the people of Cuba will see for themselves
freedom is subjective. Its like saying "Of course I believe in freedom, as long as its
convenient"

And...

=

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
according to Wiki, she lives in Miami

Nope - That is her cousin, Fidel's daughter.

Mariela Castro, Cuban President's Daughter, To Receive Gay Rights Award In Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA — The daughter of Cuban President Raul Castro will be allowed to travel to Philadelphia to accept an award for her gay rights advocacy, officials said Tuesday, reversing a previous decision to reject her visa request.

Mariela Castro will attend the Equality Forum's annual conference on civil rights for lesbians, gays, bisexual and transgender people, according to Malcolm Lazin, the advocacy group's executive director.

Lazin, who had blasted the State Department's travel denial last week, said organizers are "delighted" at the change of heart.

"She is unquestionably the leader for progressive change for the LGBT community in Cuba," Lazin said Tuesday. "Her accomplishments are nothing short of remarkable."

A U.S. official confirmed that Castro has been authorized to go to the event. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because visa records are confidential.

High-ranking Cuban government officials and Communist Party members cannot enter the U.S. without special dispensation. But Cuban academics, scientists and entertainers are finding it easier to visit because President Barack Obama's administration has relaxed travel restrictions.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Nope - That is her cousin, Fidel's daughter.

Mariela Castro, Cuban President's Daughter, To Receive Gay Rights Award In Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA — The daughter of Cuban President Raul Castro will be allowed to travel to Philadelphia to accept an award for her gay rights advocacy, officials said Tuesday, reversing a previous decision to reject her visa request.

Mariela Castro will attend the Equality Forum's annual conference on civil rights for lesbians, gays, bisexual and transgender people, according to Malcolm Lazin, the advocacy group's executive director.

Lazin, who had blasted the State Department's travel denial last week, said organizers are "delighted" at the change of heart.

"She is unquestionably the leader for progressive change for the LGBT community in Cuba," Lazin said Tuesday. "Her accomplishments are nothing short of remarkable."

A U.S. official confirmed that Castro has been authorized to go to the event. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because visa records are confidential.

High-ranking Cuban government officials and Communist Party members cannot enter the U.S. without special dispensation. But Cuban academics, scientists and entertainers are finding it easier to visit because President Barack Obama's administration has relaxed travel restrictions.
ah, maybe that's who she confused her with then

i wondered when it said she had been a model... wow really? but then breezed over that