2nd amendment discussion

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Here's another article with a historical view of the 2nd amendment.
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]The Roots of Anti-Government Gun Culture in America - The Daily Beast[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]
[/FONT]
The Roots of Anti-Government Gun Culture in America

by David Frum Mar 23, 2013 8:32 PM EDTThe most arresting idea in Adam Winkler's impressively learned study of US gun law,Gunfight, is the suggestion that contemporary American gun culture was more or less invented by the Black Panthers.Huey Newton and Bobby Seale, the party founders, had studied law and discovered California allowed the carrying in public of loaded rifles and shotguns, provided that the guns were not pointed at anyone. They seized on this law to stage theatrical confrontations with an Oakland police force they deemed hostile and oppressive - and then, most dramatically, in May 1967, to walk armed into the chamber of the California State Assembly. Police tried to intervene, but Newton and Seale recited the authorizing law, and pushed ahead.

The Newton-Seale stunt - and the outrage and surprise it deliberately elicited - was made possible by America's pre-1960s gun culture. Pre-1960s Americans lived comfortably both with guns and with substantial gun regulation. Nineteenth century Americans banned concealed weapons. Often they forbade firearms altogether within the limits of a city. Twentieth century Americans outlawed categories of weapons associated with criminal activity: Tommy guns, for example, in the National Firearms Act of 1934.
In two world wars and then the Cold War draft army, the government had compelled millions of American men to carry a rifle in that government's defense. For those veterans - as for the Union Army veterans who had founded the National Rifle Association in the 1870s to better train soldiers for future wars - the rifle symbolized the connection between the people and the people's government.
Newton and Seale thought different. They regarded government - the white man's government - as the oppressor and the police - the white man's police - as the enemy. They carried their arms against the government and against the police. The gun symbolized and guaranteed their rights. And the gun they most valued was not the policeman's revolver, not the sportsman's shotgun, but the military style weapon with its distinctive extended magazine. The iconic photograph of Malcolm X with an M1 carbine, taken in 1964, carried the message (although Malcolm X had of course nothing to do with the Panthers).

Flash forward half a century. Every one of those old Black Panther themes has been absorbed and redeployed by modern gun rights militants. Hostile government? Check. Self-defense against police or other law enforcement authorities? Check. Military style weapons as symbols of freedom? Check and check.
There had been previous cases where Americans organized themselves into anti-governmental paramilitary forces. But in the past, these forces recognized themselves as illegal: that's why the Ku Klux Klan of the late 1860s wore hoods. The Klan never pretended it was exercising a constitutional right.
What was different about the Black Panthers, at least at the start, was the pains they took to organize their militia movement within the law.
Here's a marvelous description from Gunfight:

In February of 1967, Oakland police officers stopped a car carrying Newton, Seale, and several other Panthers with rifles and handguns. When one officer asked to see one of the guns, Newton refused. “I don’t have to give you anything but my identification, name, and address,” he insisted. This, too, he had learned in law school.
“Who in the hell do you think you are?” an officer responded.
“Who in the hell do you think you are?,” Newton replied indignantly. He told the officer that he and his friends had a legal right to have their firearms.
Newton got out of the car, still holding his rifle.
“What are you going to do with that gun?” asked one of the stunned policemen.
“What are you going to do with your gun?,” Newton replied.
By this time, the scene had drawn a crowd of onlookers. An officer told the bystanders to move on, but Newton shouted at them to stay. California law, he yelled, gave civilians a right to observe a police officer making an arrest, so long as they didn’t interfere. Newton played it up for the crowd. In a loud voice, he told the police officers, “If you try to shoot at me or if you try to take this gun, I’m going to shoot back at you, swine.” Although normally a black man with Newton’s attitude would quickly find himself handcuffed in the back of a police car, enough people had gathered on the street to discourage the officers from doing anything rash. Because they hadn’t committed any crime, the Panthers were allowed to go on their way.
The people who’d witnessed the scene were dumbstruck. Not even Bobby Seale could believe it. Right then, he said, he knew that Newton was the “baddest mother****er in the world.” Newton’s message was clear: “The gun is where it’s at and about and in.”

It's an oddly contemporary scene, isn't it? Only today, the armed person challenging the power of the police is much less likely to be a young black radical, and much more likely to be an older white conservative.
"The gun is the only thing that will free us," declared the Panthers.
"The purpose of having citizens armed with paramilitary weapons is to allow them to engage in paramilitary actions. " That sentence is quoted not from the Black Panther manifesto, but from an article published just a few weeks ago in National Review by Kevin Williamson.

Before 1965, it would have occurred to precisely nobody that the Second Amendment guaranteed the right to organize private armies independent of the state. People often describe the Second Amendment as ambiguous, but the Americans of the 1790s knew exactly what a militia was. As the federal Militia Act of 1792 enacts in its very first section, a militia was a military force organized by a state government and subject to that government's authority. In times of emergency, the militia could be summoned by the president and be subjected instead to national authority. A group of persons, however well armed, who resisted the government were not a "militia."
They were, in the words of the second section of the 1792 act, "combinations too powerful to be suppressed by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings …" In April 1861, Abraham Lincoln would repeat precisely that language in his first proclamation calling forth the militias of the northern states to suppress the rebellion in the South. Meanwhile, the Southern militias in turn rallied to the call of the government they regarded as legitimate, first that of their state, then that of the Confederacy. The Confederacy never allowed Southerners the right to rebel against their own government. It denied, rather, that the government in Washington DC was "its own." That issue was tested and settled 150 years ago.
Since then, dissident groups have from time to time resorted to armed force against local or national authorities. But these groups, however passionately they believed in their cause, never imagined themselves to be acting lawfully. That's why the Ku Klux Klan wore hoods, rather than uniforms: they recognized the risk that if identified they would be arrested and prosecuted. They did atrocious things, but they never pretended to a right to do them.
What was new about the Black Panthers was their attempt to organize an armed militia within the law. Although the group did later degenerate into a criminal gang, its early success was gained precisely from its ostentatious compliance with law. As one former Panther would later write, "The sheer audacity of walking onto the California Senate floor with rifles, demanding that Black people have the right to bear arms and the right to self-defense, made me sit back and take a long look at them."

Remove the overt reference to race, and you have a sentence that could proceed from an NRA militant today.
Most Americans who own guns do so in hope of protecting themselves against criminals. (Hunting has dwindled into an increasingly marginal activity: only about 6% of Americans over age 16 have a valid hunting license.)
But in recent years, the ideology of the gun rights movement has put increasing emphasis on an idea very alien to most gun owners: armed resistance to authority. This armed resistance is usually represented as merely potential and hypothetical. Yet at the same time, it's also stressed that the hypothetical may not be so remote as all that.

I believe the author is attacking the widespread interpretation of the 2nd Amendment that it empowers citizens to arm themselves to protect themselves from the tyranny of their *own* government.

The point he's making is historically, the 2nd Amendment was interpreted to allow the arming of civilian militias to protect from *foreign* tyranny. He goes on to note how this system evolved during the American Civil War such that Northern militia was sent to fight Southern rebels while Southern militia was used to defend Southern soil.

He goes on to mention how the NRA was started for veterans so that they could keep up with their skills.

Then the Black Panthers came along and they armed themselves to defend themselves against their own gov't. Since then, lots of individuals in the U.S. have armed themselves to defend themselves against their own gov't.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I disagree with Frum's claims, and have compiled some bullet points in opposition to his assertions.

• The historical link between the English Bill of Rights and the Second Amendment, which both codify an existing right and do not create a new one, has been acknowledged by the U.S. Supreme Court. In District of Columbia v. Heller ( 2008 ), the Supreme Court did not accept this view(militia rights, but not individual), remarking that the English right at the time of the passing of the English Bill of Rights was "clearly an individual right, having nothing whatsoever to do with service in the militia" and that it was a right not to be disarmed by the Crown and was not the granting of a new right to have arms.[21]
  • Additionally, I disagree with Frum's attempt to distinguish between a foreign tyranny and a domestic tyranny. I disagree, because, in my opinion, it is not logical to try to distinguish between foreign and domestic tyranny.
  • John Locke shares a similar opinion, one that he explains in the context of The Declaration of Independence.
John Locke argued that "moral principles and obligations existed before the creation of the State, so that men could change the State if it failed to uphold these principles .... " THE Declaration of Independence is a right to change government. In that document Americans forthrightly proclaimed the Lockean philosophy that governments were formed to secure "certain unalienable rights" and that "whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government."
  • If I am to believe Frum's assertion that the 2nd amendment was not originally a right for the people to fight their own government, then I must conclude that somewhere between the declaration of independence, and the writing of the second amendment, the founding fathers changed their minds, but never specifically stated that they had done so when they wrote the 2nd amendment.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
People often describe the Second Amendment as ambiguous, but the Americans of the 1790s knew exactly what a militia was. As the federal Militia Act of 1792 enacts in its very first section, a militia was a military force organized by a state government and subject to that government's authority. In times of emergency, the militia could be summoned by the president and be subjected instead to national authority. A group of persons, however well armed, who resisted the government were not a "militia."

In this, Mr. Frum is absolutely incorrect.

Allow me to quote from the US Code, which is Federal LAW:

TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES Subtitle A - General Military Law PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA -HEAD- Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes -STATUTE- (a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard. (b) The classes of the militia are - (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

The unorganized militia....the people are the militia, and the militia is the people.

Huey Newton was correct, and their actions, as well as those of Martin Luther King, ended segregation and political persecution of Blacks in the USA.

Heck, let's ask this guy:

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
What kind of training and discipline? The same kind as senator dianne feinstein when she spoke about firearms safety then proceeded to hold her finger on the trigger of the rifle that she was holding? Epic.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I honestly don't know what he meant.......unfortunately, it is a little too late to ask him. :)
LOL, that is true. I was just curious as to what your thoughts were.

You know our opponents will have no hesitation making it out to mean anything they want, lol.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think part of what George meant was not to be using the right to have arms as an excuse for criminal activity but rather to prevent it.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I absolutely agree with George Washington every one should have a blunderbuss or a muzzle loader. That is what they had in Washington's day and all the ammunition they would wish.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I absolutely agree with George Washington every one should have a blunderbuss or a muzzle loader. That is what they had in Washington's day and all the ammunition they would wish.

If the Second Amendment only applies to muzzle loaders, then the first amendment only applies to words written with a quill pen or shouted from a podium.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
LOL, that is true. I was just curious as to what your thoughts were.

You know our opponents will have no hesitation making it out to mean anything they want, lol.

I can't imagine "disciplined" meant under legal regulation, as such a thing applying to firearms would be practically unheard of at the time.

Perhaps self-disciplined, as in good upstanding members of the community......

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Piers Morgan asked one of his guests something of the sort like "Where in the 2nd amendment does it say that the people have the right to have AR15 style assault weapons?"...

...one blogger apparently answered the question a day later with "....right next to the word Muzzleloader...."