Oil sands crude not as ‘dirty’ as many think, journal Nature says, urging Keystone ok

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Oil sands crude not as

Journal urges Keystone XL approval
The scientific journal Nature is urging President Barack Obama to “face down critics” and approve the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, though it does cite pollution issues in Canada.

In an editorial on energy security and the climate debate this week, Nature said the president should issue powerful rules governing power plants and warn the coal industry to “clean up or fade away.”

Where TransCanada Corp.’s proposed Keystone XL is concerned, approval would “bolster his credibility” in the industry among the nation’s conservatives.

Keystone XL, which would move more than 800,000 barrels a day of bitumen from Alberta’s oil sands to Gulf Coast refineries, is a flashpoint for environmentalists.

“The administration should face down critics of the project, ensure that environmental standards are met and then approve it,” the journal urged.

“As Nature has suggested before … the pipeline is not going to determine whether the Canadian tar sands are developed or not,” it added.

“Only a broader - and much more important - shift in energy policy will do that. Nor is oil produced from the Canadian tar sands as dirty from a climate perspective as many believe (some of the oil produced in California, without attention from environmentalists, is worse). Tar-sands development raises serious air- and water-quality issues in Canada, but these problems are well outside Obama’s jurisdiction.”

The administration initially rejected the project, forcing TransCanada to reroute the planned pipeline around an environmentally sensitive region in Nebraska.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'd still rather see NG built instead. XL still makes us dependent on a fickle US market while NG gives us easy access to the world without US interference.

Or , since construction is my main interest in this build both lines.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
If enough money is offered quietly many "Expert" witnesses have been know to "rethink" their position. Big oil money commands serious consideration of ones position. Right now the big oil guys are offering "big money" to any who they think may side with them "on the record."

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Huh.

That's interesting. As much as I disagree, an approval from Nature is very compelling.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Huh.

That's interesting. As much as I disagree, an approval from Nature is very compelling.
They know rail doesn't need approval and they are already shipping oil from AB/SK to TX, NY NJ and to BC by rail and if no pipes it ALL goes by rail?

What is rail's track record for crashes?

Oil trains would have to be quite lengthy to move 800,000bbl per day let alone the eventual 6,000,000 bbl a day of full capacity. That's a lot of fuel needed to haul all that oil. The potash and grain trains are aleady 2km long. Oil trains would have to be longer to meet capacity.

But you don't have to worry about trains that crash too much because the pipe is going in no matter what and oil will still go by rail to get get to the pipes.

120 cars full of Canadin oil rolling by Lake Champlain...

Pretty huh?

Oil from the Bakken ready to roll to Cushing.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The fix is In!

What.. from Nature?

No, they're a pretty well respected scientific outlet.

It's not like we're getting FUD from the Fraser Institute here.
--

Anyway, the editorial appears to claim that building the pipeline would reduce the dependency on coal powered powerplants. We still don't know if that would change anything.

I'm not sure if it is an opinion piece or if there is any research behind it though. Can't seem to find the source article on nature.com -- guess we'll just have to wait for the mag release.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is, though the article is sure to cause lots of howling.
Obama is in with the NG crowd. NG is the future of heating and electricity with coal and heating oil phased out. GE has been heavily invested in by US Govt for NG turbine electricity.

The competing Republican oilmen were put on the back burners. Politics has it's priorities and obligations to those it favours. The Blue States are the States with the gas and the ones burning heating oil.

Getting the clean green NG to market is his goal and he needs the oil opposition appearance to pave the way for the sh*tloads of NG plants, pipelines and compressor stations that have to go in.

GE is in the rail business and makes good money with oil by rail. Wink wink.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They know rail doesn't need approval and they are already shipping oil from AB/SK to TX, NY NJ and to BC by rail and if no pipes it ALL goes by rail?

What is rail's track record for crashes?

Oil trains would have to be quite lengthy to move 800,000bbl per day let alone the eventual 6,000,000 bbl a day of full capacity. That's a lot of fuel needed to haul all that oil. The potash and grain trains are aleady 2km long. Oil trains would have to be longer to meet capacity.

But you don't have to worry about trains that crash too much because the pipe is going in no matter what and oil will still go by rail to get get to the pipes.

120 cars full of Canadin oil rolling by Lake Champlain...

Pretty huh?

Oil from the Bakken ready to roll to Cushing.

I was think'n of these guys (bit more local):

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Environmentalists don't care whether the oil is cleaner than stated the message
is already out there and they will just keep driving the message home until the
rest of the people don't care either. I on the other hand don't want Asians getting
our oil and I don't want it going South either. Send it east/west and keep the bulk
of it for Canadians. We owe the world nothing and crude is going to be one of
three commodities Oil Water and Food and we have enough for us and if the rest
want it the conditions and money for it should go way up

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Environmentalists don't care whether the oil is cleaner than stated the message
is already out there and they will just keep driving the message home until the
rest of the people don't care either. I on the other hand don't want Asians getting
our oil and I don't want it going South either. Send it east/west and keep the bulk
of it for Canadians. We owe the world nothing and crude is going to be one of
three commodities Oil Water and Food and we have enough for us and if the rest
want it the conditions and money for it should go way up

Except that it would only take a couple of wells to supply the domestic market. What do the rest of the workforce do? Same with all our resources. A couple of mills in the interior could supply the entire domestic lumber market in less than 3 months production.