Constitution, I don't need no stinking constitution

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Relevant bureaucratic appointment technicality: conservative outrage!

Illegal war in Pakistan, extra-judicial execution of citizens: crickets.

Go to a hard core liberal group and you'll find them screaming at Obama for all kinds of real bull****. We're way better at criticizing our own, but thanks for coming out guys. *golf clap*

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ha. Appointing bureaucrats constitutes tyranny? I guess that makes every President in history and every PM here a tyrant.

Using the word "tyrant" in a story like this really waters down the term. Saddam Hussein was a tyrant, Stalin was a tyrant, Kim Jonh Il was a tyrant. A democratically elected head of state who will be out of office in four years no matter what - is not a tyrant. And yes, I'd say that about Bush too.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well a constitution is the first article of a civilized society be it left or right and
not everyone agrees with the constitution depending on the issue. However it
is the societal glue that holds us together. I am not surprised that some will not
want or need a constitution, because they have a fundamental problem with
being civilized.
At the same time people condemn the constitution they defend its articles that
allow for ownership of guns. At the same time they condemn the articles they
want the right to vote. And the left does the same thing. People should actually
become acquainted with the articles of their nations constitution.
Can you imagine living in the Middle East or North Korea? Those people are
fighting for those very rights. Although someone disagrees with the constitution
they still want democracy. If you take a look at the rest of the world believe me
you need a stinking constitution.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ha. Appointing bureaucrats constitutes tyranny? I guess that makes every President in history and every PM here a tyrant.

Using the word "tyrant" in a story like this really waters down the term. Saddam Hussein was a tyrant, Stalin was a tyrant, Kim Jonh Il was a tyrant. A democratically elected head of state who will be out of office in four years no matter what - is not a tyrant. And yes, I'd say that about Bush too.

Only because george the lessor isn't bright enough to understand what the word means.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The list of all those tyrants, and here i thought they were merely eccentric.
When it comes to tyrants no one can say one was worse than the others
as they were all tyrants. Once one person was killed unjustly tyranny is
in place. The intent is what counts here.
Therefore with all of his warts and foibles I wouldn't say Bush was a tyrant.
He still had the limiting factor of the constitution. Yes he could violate it in
Cuba but not on American soil. America has survived a lot of things and will
survive a lot more over time, that is what makes a country stronger in the long
run. Strength is born out of adversity. My mother used to say "If it doesn't kill
you it will make you stronger" and the world learns that lesson every couple
of generations.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The extra-constitutional president. The tyrant-in-chief.

Obama?s recess appointments are unconstitutional - Washington Post

Presidents have always made "recess appointments"—because the Constitution provides for them. It's right there in Article II: "[t]he President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate."
President George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments. President Bill Clinton made 139. Heck, even President Andrew Johnson made at least 14 recess appointments.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obamas-abuse-power-argument-recess-appointments/story?id=18317935

Obama made three and this makes him a "tyrant".

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The list of all those tyrants, and here i thought they were merely eccentric.
When it comes to tyrants no one can say one was worse than the others
as they were all tyrants. Once one person was killed unjustly tyranny is
in place. The intent is what counts here.
Therefore with all of his warts and foibles I wouldn't say Bush was a tyrant.
He still had the limiting factor of the constitution. Yes he could violate it in
Cuba but not on American soil. America has survived a lot of things and will
survive a lot more over time, that is what makes a country stronger in the long
run. Strength is born out of adversity. My mother used to say "If it doesn't kill
you it will make you stronger" and the world learns that lesson every couple
of generations.

Violate it in Cuba but not at home? Are you nuts? Are you aware of the Patriot Act? That one piece of legislation basically shredded the constitution. Now Obama has added the ability for rendition on his own citizens on US soil. Constitution.....what constitution? It doesn't exist any more. With 'executive orders' and legislation for the citizens protection from terrorism the constitution is gone and likely will never come back until there is an armed insurrection and the govt is overthrown and rebuilt from scratch.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the arc of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human, and suppose what they did to be beyond amendment. I knew that age well; I belonged to it, and labored with it. It deserved well of its country. It was very like the present, but without the experience of the present; and forty years of experience in government is worth a century of book-reading; and this they would say themselves, were they to rise from the dead. I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times.

- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Samuel Kercheval

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Presidents have always made "recess appointments"—because the Constitution provides for them. It's right there in Article II: "[t]he President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate."
President George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments. President Bill Clinton made 139. Heck, even President Andrew Johnson made at least 14 recess appointments.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obamas-abuse-power-argument-recess-appointments/story?id=18317935

Obama made three and this makes him a "tyrant".

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
From the OP link.....
Although originally conceived by the Framers for a time when communicating with and summoning senators back to the Capitol might take weeks, it is still valid in a modern age — but only as long as the Senate is in recess. Not only was the Senate not in recess when these purported appointments were made, it constitutionally could not have been.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!