Obama signals new focus on climate change

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Obama signals new focus on climate change

WASHINGTON — After President Obama finished his inaugural speech Monday, Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Beverly Hills) thanked him for mentioning climate change, a topic environmentalists said Obama had avoided during much of his first term.

"I did more than mention climate change," the president told Waxman.

In discussing the urgency of climate change before a national audience, the president elevated the issue into the top tier of second-term priorities that include fiscal reform, gun control and immigration reform.

"We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations," he said Monday. "Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires and crippling drought and more powerful storms."

Many environmentalists have come to believe that Obama's more frequent, detailed mentions of climate change since the election could signal a greater willingness to step up reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.

The president isn't ruling out the idea of a legislative package to combat climate change during his second term, senior officials say. But the political landscape is even less favorable to passage of legislative initiatives than during his first term.

In the near term, Obama will probably rely on his executive authority and Environmental Protection Agency rules to avoid fights with Congress as he works to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide, the main driver of climate change.

"I think the president isn't just about talk," said Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.). The administration, she added, has "no choice but to act."

Despite Obama's public reticence on climate change during his first term, his administration moved aggressively on several fronts to cut emissions of carbon dioxide. The administration contends that its first-term rules to boost gas mileage and curtail greenhouse gases from new power plants will have a demonstrable effect on carbon emissions.

The auto standards alone "did more to reduce carbon pollution than any other action that has been taken, in our view," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Tuesday. "We need to continue to build on that, and the president intends to continue to build on that progress in the second term."

Supporters and opponents alike are looking for clues about Obama's posture in upcoming decisions. The final rules for greenhouse gas limits from new power plants are due by April. It remains unclear whether the EPA will then roll out new rules for existing power plants, most of which run on fossil fuels. The emissions from existing plants account for almost 40% of the greenhouse gases the country produces.

The administration has also said that it could make a decision by March about approving the controversial Keystone XL pipeline from Canada to the U.S. Gulf Coast. Environmentalists contend that extracting and processing the oil from Alberta's tar sands use so much energy, far more carbon would be pumped into the atmosphere if oil fields were developed to feed the pipeline.

If the Obama administration decides not to give the pipeline a permit, it would be in for a tough fight with those in Congress who would try to legislate approval for the project, said Trip Van Noppen, president of Earthjustice, an environmental law group.

Obama signals new focus on climate change - Los Angeles Times

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How conweenient!!... Just a few weeks after he announces that the US will be close to energy independence due to the big increase in drilling/production licenses to the US oil industry.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Lip service to the greenies. I do love how excited they get though.

I wonder how much more money he'll squander on failed solar companies though?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Energy = Economy
Republicans = Oil & Coal
Democrats = Natural Gas/ Uranium

Did Obama halt any NG projects or pipelines or any hoop dee doo over new uranium projects?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I called this btw.

Obama delayed his response on Keystone because he wanted to secure his second term before making the decision. He wasted no time in going back to the pivotal issue once he was voted back in. We'll see in March if he's got the balls to back up his position on reducing carbon emissions.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
So.....oil from the middle east produce less emissions than oil from Canada.....hmmmm...does anyone get this????

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I called this btw.

Obama delayed his response on Keystone because he wanted to secure his second term before making the decision. He wasted no time in going back to the pivotal issue once he was voted back in. We'll see in March if he's got the balls to back up his position on reducing carbon emissions.
The nat gas is greener on the other side of the fence:). Watch the market pushed to NG over the next 4 years.

Wouldn't you like an NG turbine powered hyrbrid. Oodles of balls, super super effcient, fill at home overnight and available at your local gas station?

XL will only be carrying 1 barrel in 7 of US oil fromt he Bakken. They need their own line ASAP.

It will be interesting. All the oil is in the red states and Democrat blue states in the northwest has sh*tloads of NG.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The nat gas is greener on the other side of the fence:). Watch the market pushed to NG over the next 4 years.

Wouldn't you like an NG turbine powered hyrbrid. Oodles of balls, super super effcient, fill at home overnight and available at your local gas station?

Infrastructure needs to be more thoroughly in place... Won't take much, but the question is; are people willing to pay for it?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I called this btw.

Heck no! That means job loss. He's not that dumb. Sure he can squander millions in solar companies and GW research... thats all he needs to do.

Look how excited you are and he's done nothing but thumb his nose at the Climate Conferences.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A $100K add on for for gas stations. They are already on lines the just need the compressors.

I can't see a home unit being more than $2K???

I'm thinking more in Eastern Canada and US(? - maybe EagleSmack will enlighten) where nat gas hasn't the infrastructure to individual consumers like on the Prairies and there is still a reliance on heating oil.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm thinking more in Eastern Canada and US(? - maybe EagleSmack will enlighten) where nat gas hasn't the infrastructure to individual consumers like on the Prairies and there is still a reliance on heating oil.
Here is a map of stations across nor am. CNG stations and Prices for the US, Canada and Europe

It said "too many stations to list." for E US

There will be a NG hybrid "miracle car" coming, no question about it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Sorry Captain... I am not as knowledgeable on the Oil and Natural Gas Industry as you. Although I was once accused of being an Oil Tycoon in here... alas I am not.