America has become an Old World country

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via rsn

Dancing on America's Grave

So Europe got the American president it wanted – the one who would present no threat to its own delusions. The United States is now officially one of us: an Old World country complete with class hatred, ethnic Balkanisation, bourgeois guilt and a paternalist ruling elite. And it is locked into the same death spiral of high public spending and self-defeating wealth redistribution as we are. Welcome to the future, and the beginning of what may turn out to be the terminal decline of the West.

Janet Daley, The Telegraph

Just as the Europeans have, for the most part, anyway, seen the error of their ways and are attempting to dig themselves out, America decides Europe was right all along -- and we rushed to join them in their mass grave.

Government as omnipotent benefactor is now the model in the US. Never mind that the very idea is totally un-American, Americans have embraced it whole-heartedly and the rot that goes with it.

In the very first few minutes of his presidency Ronald Reagan said: "government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."

He nailed it! Right out of the starting gate, Reagan unveiled the real problem with America.

Then Bill Clinton came along and declared: "the era of big government is over."

Of course, it was NOT. Some inroads were made, early on, in efforts to reduce the size of our bloated government, but, as it turned out, they were inconsequential, of a little account and, for the most part did absolutely nothing to shield the people from the power of a strong central government.

more

Dancing on America's Grave

America has become an Old World country - Telegraph

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Whenever someone refers to "Europe" as a homogeneous whole, you can basically just disregard everything they say after that point. Unless the next thing the say refers to the Ural mountains, in which case you are just discussing geography.

Yes, the country of Georgia is a paragon of "class hatred, ethnic Balkanisation, bourgeois guilt and a paternalist ruling elite."

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The problem was identified very long ago. Gibbons "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" clearly showed that eventually the people of any country will actively work to destroy whatever that country once stood for.

Roman mothers used to say to their husbands and sons, "Come back with your shield, or on it".

While those sentiments reigned, Rome was invincible. But, Rome began to hire mercenary troops, built "alliances" with former enemies, and placated the people with free bread, and free games.

The people began to vote in Senators that would expand the free stuff, and they stopped joining the Roman Army. Rome fell in the 4th Century, never to rise again.

Country after country have gone down that same road. Once the people learn that they can vote in "free" things, the country is on a slide to obscurity. Or as Gibbons put it, "Voting in bread and circuses".

Of course those things are not "Free", they have to be paid for by someone. The someone is the productive side of the economy, which is gradually strangled as the government takes more and more, to give away to those that are NOT productive.

It truly is a shame that this pattern has repeated itself over and over and over again, throughout history. We ignore what has gone before, because everyone knows that "We can do it in a better way, and it won't hurt us." And another society slowly slides into obscurity.

People REALLY should pay attention to history!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Does this mean I can finally make my move and corner the market in the high protein, low fat buckwheat cabbage roll business?

Nothings say Old World or I Love You more than buckwheat cabbage rolls.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is not so much to have things that are free Old Medic is right nothing is free, but it is
a matter of what a society is willing to pay for and those paying are willing to keep paying
for. Right now the rich and the middle class are paying. The fact is not everyone is going
to pay their share because some can't afford to and eat. However I believe the rich and
the middle class are willing to pay a lot of the freight, but the poor even if it were ten bucks
a welfare check or ten dollars out of meager funds it would still be a contribution. people
would then be asking, What is my ten dollars going toward it would begin to spark and
interest.
As for an old world country, in some respects, but not exactly, as for every country going
through the buildup and the end that part is true. America is becoming a shadow of its
former self. There are a variety of reasons and they are not old world reasons. Take the
concept of medicare. Germany is one of the well off nations in Europe yet they had the
medicare concept started in the nineteenth century. The Eastern Block Nations and the
Latin European South had different view of how society should work for centuries. Northern
Europe Britain and others totally different again. This is why the European Union is not as
successful as it might be.
My belief is that America lost its way a long time ago, they attempted to expand their influence
not with military conquest but through economic colonialism. They used their friends in the G8
and others to economically bind Latin America and other parts of the world and that hold is now
broken. Nope, what cost America its leadership role in the world is they succumbed to GREED.
There will soon be few rich and a lot of Poor Americans, like it was prior to the Great Depression.
The only difference is after the next depression, America will have to much world competition to
come back like they did the last time.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It is not so much to have things that are free Old Medic is right nothing is free, but it is
a matter of what a society is willing to pay for and those paying are willing to keep paying
for. Right now the rich and the middle class are paying. The fact is not everyone is going
to pay their share because some can't afford to and eat.

They can't afford to eat... yet are the most obese of all classes.

However I believe the rich and
the middle class are willing to pay a lot of the freight, but the poor even if it were ten bucks
a welfare check or ten dollars out of meager funds it would still be a contribution. people
would then be asking, What is my ten dollars going toward it would begin to spark and
interest.

Ten bucks of WHOSE money? You don't mean taking ten dollars a month out of their ENTITLEMENTS do you? The DUmbocrats are ENTITLED to everyones money.

THAT is a cutback on the democrat base... that will not happen. Once these people have to work to earn a living, then the base will shrink.

Our poor have middle class life styles and do not work a day for it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"Welcome to the future, and the beginning of what may turn out to be the terminal decline of the West. "

this particular decline began in 1917 with the private Federal Reserve articles of the period written by real journalists knew and warned of this beginning like almost a century ago, the author of the OP can't be trusted to know much about any future when that past pivotal genesis has escaped her now can she. Nations caught attempting to dig their way out from under private global banking seem to erupt into Democratic Deficiency Disorder and have to be vaccinated repeatedly with love and freedom bombs, which they are billed for regardless of the medical outcome.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Does this mean I can finally make my move and corner the market in the high protein, low fat buckwheat cabbage roll business?

Nothings say Old World or I Love You more than buckwheat cabbage rolls.[/QUOTE

I love cabbage rolls. Why haven't they become junkfoodified into the feedchain like burgers. Why aren't they deep fried and sold in franchises the world over. Seriously why has somethin so tasty not been mass produced and flogged like burgers.
?