Miss-Representation Media Campaign

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I do not advocate for this cause. I do not support the plea for financial support at the end of the youtube video. I do however think it will make for interesting conversation, so I wanted to pass this along.

Sexism in News Media in 2012 - YouTube

Well to start off, the news media doesn't accurately represent anything. Everything is too targeted, too biased, too skewed to be considered accurate. But that's a whole other conversation altogether.

I'd have to say the bits that jumped out at me more were the clips of women throwing out comments about other women about their hair, their dress, their makeup (or lack thereof). That in all honesty pisses me off more than when men do it. Yes, there were a lot of incidences of *** backwards senators saying things like "legitimate rape" and what not throughout the year. But they get called on the carpet for it, big time, when they do. They get rightfully raked through the coals.

In my experience, if you demand respect as a woman, if you conduct yourself in a manner that is worthy of respect, then you get respect. We all come across a few misogynistic jackasses from time to time, but for the most part they are few and far between.

I don't know, maybe it's just an oversensitivity to it when I hear these things from women, but I'd swear sometimes the worst ones for perpetuating stereotypes about women are other women.

Interesting topic by the way.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know, maybe it's just an oversensitivity to it when I hear these things from women, but I'd swear sometimes the worst ones for perpetuating stereotypes about women are other women.

Interesting topic by the way.

I agree completely. I once heard a woman who worked as a prison guard, say that she hated Alison Redford, because Alison 'tarts herself up' and 'wears red lipstick like a *****.' Seriously? A *****? I was dumbfounded and didn't feel like arguing with said woman as she was not entirely balanced, but, I complained to a friend about the attitude. Who the frick bases their political opinions on lipstick colour? And my friend's response? "Really? I've always felt Redford seems unreliable because she doesn't style her hair."

Uhm.... what the ****?

Needless to say that friend and I don't have a lot of deep political discussions.

*sigh*.... wh ore.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The chicks on RT have the nicest legs.

Is naked News still around.

Just checked. Yes it is.

Time to get current on whatever events - ah heck I am just gonna watch. Volume off, no sense in being distracted while watching an important new story.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The video is a misrepresentation all on it's own. Kind of the like the pot calling the kettle black.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's simple. They have cherry picked a few instances in the last year and paint the entire media with them. That's misrepresentation.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Is naked News still around.

Just checked. Yes it is.

Time to get current on whatever events - ah heck I am just gonna watch. Volume off, no sense in being distracted while watching an important new story.

is that a channel? :confused: