Is this what you want from society?

Is this the society you want to live in?

• yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • no

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 50% No, 50% yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I have an issue with the question, and can not vote

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."
-- Jeff Snyder, Oct 20, 1994

So is this the society that you want to live in? Yes or No? and Why?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."

The idea of banning guns is nuts for at least two reasons the first being that normal, sensible, law abiding people derive a lot of enjoyment from them, harming nobody and second if you do the criminal will just find another modus operandi.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
State suspends gun carry permit for TN man who made viral video

A Middle Tennessee firearms trainer who made an ominous comment about killing people in a YouTube video that gained national attention this week has had his handgun carry permit suspended Friday by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security.
MORE

James Yeager, 42, had his permit suspended based on a "material likelihood of risk of harm to the public," the department said in a statement.

Col. Tracy Trott of the Tennessee Department of Safety said it didn't take him long to reach a decision after viewing the comments on the Internet.

"I watched it twice to make sure I was hearing what I thought I heard," Trott said.

"It sounded like it was a veiled threat against the whole public. I believed him. He had a conviction in his voice, and the way he looked into the camera, I believe he's capable of a violent act," Trott said.

Yeager told Channel 4 News he is aware of the suspension, and his attorney will handle his statements going forward.

The department said Yeager has the right to seek a review of the decision.

Yeager posted a new video Friday night in which he appears with his attorney and apologizes for his prior comments.

"In another video I said some pretty volatile stuff, which I apologize for. I do not - in any way - advocate overthrowing the United States government. Nor do I condone violent actions toward any elected officials," Yeager said.

more

State suspends gun carry permit for TN man who made viral video - CBS 5 - KPHO

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
There is only one way to settle the gun issue in the USA.

Everyone at age 16 should be given the same fully automatic rifle and a thousand rounds of ammunition supplied by the Fed gov (hopefully american made) and let them go at it and who evers left standing will be the winners.......

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Everyone at age 16 should be given the same fully automatic rifle and a thousand rounds of ammunition supplied by the Fed gov (hopefully american made) and let them go at it and who evers left standing will be the winners.......

One of the main objections I have to that is you could end up with a bunch of A$$holes!-:)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Does that also apply to rocket launchers, tasers and nuclear weapons?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Where is Colpy? I am sure he would have a comment on this loonie.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Look, I'm pretty much a libertarian........but this makes no sense at all. His logic is flawed, for if there were no one behaving in an unacceptable manner, we would not need ANY laws.........and there would be no criminals.

And they say that right wingers talk stupid:roll:

DaSleeper, how could anyone beat THAT response??

Where is Colpy? I am sure he would have a comment on this loonie.

I do, and I have. :)

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
My area is full of politicians who become DUI's after Happy Hour. We have more folks here killed by DUI's than we have had by guns. I demand that vehicles be seized now to keep the inebriated politicians off the road! Then we can talk about unsafe Cruise Ships next.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
They should never ban guns only put gun makers in jail who makes the gun that kills people.
You probably have a car or pickup so I think you should be in jail for supporting businesses that make things that kill people (conspiracy to commit).
Frackin moron.

Brilliant

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The two sides in the talking heads dispute both miss the point completely.
First of all something violent happens and we want guns banned, Not knives,
or hammers or chopsticks when people are killed by those items. Oh i forgot,
cars and trucks used as weapons during crimes.

Then the gun advocates jump up and down saying we need to protect ourselves
from criminals and if they have guns and we don't its scary.

What is really scary? the fact that the criminals with guns except in a very few
cases are not the biggest problem.
Crazy people with guns they are the problem. Police and criminals have specific
targets and they use the gun as a tool.
Crazy people don't care they shoot a specific target and if they are not there they
just shoot people.

Wouldn't it be more productive to have the first two groups concentrate on ensuring
that they mitigate the circumstances of crazy people having guns/
If everyone is armed to the teeth they might be aiming at a criminal with a gun but half
the neighbourhood is in danger because there would be more people shooting.

I am not saying criminals don't kill innocent people, they do, The difference is the real
criminals are targeting other real criminals. The guy robbing the corner store is likely
on drugs, some form of medication or nuts. They are crazy people with guns and that
need some societal control. No do not take the guns from everyone and solicit the
other responsible groups to help solve the real problem. The first two groups mentioned
here argue while the crazy people continue as usual. How sane is that?

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Take a look at the day to day video information the young people of this world are exposed to. Video games extolling gun use and unrestricted acts of violence. Films and TV shows showing more of the same. I think these acts are a show of a learned behavior. They see it daily on the various forms of media. It looks OK here because there is never a showing of the final outcome. If guns go, they'll resort to other methods. Explosives, poisons, contact acids and other ways readily available to whoever is angry enough to commit one of these terrible crimes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Take a look at the day to day video information the young people of this world are exposed to. Video games extolling gun use and unrestricted acts of violence. Films and TV shows showing more of the same. I think these acts are a show of a learned behavior. They see it daily on the various forms of media. It looks OK here because there is never a showing of the final outcome. If guns go, they'll resort to other methods. Explosives, poisons, contact acids and other ways readily available to whoever is angry enough to commit one of these terrible crimes.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. My mother says the exact same thing to me every time I drop an anvil on someone's head.