Contrary to popular belief

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This may excite some, but I believe that the latest shooting in CT is a definite reason for the US to look at limiting gun access to it's citizens. While I acknowledge that there are gun owners out there who are responsible, I see no reason for any civilian to own a semi automatic weapon. While I see nothing wrong with an individual citizen, who undergoes screening, owning a weapon for target shooting, home protection, or for hunting, I also think that the right to bear arms argument put forth by hardcore gun advocates is antiquated at best.

The children who died this week came as a result of an obviously disturbed young man getting access to weapons. This is a tragedy of epic proportion and sadly it was completely preventable. It is time for a discussion regarding two very serious issues, one is limiting access to firearms that serve no application for civilian use. No one outside the military, police department requires assault weapons. The second issue that needs to be looked at with a great deal of scrutiny is society's ignorance and indifference to mental health issues.

That's my take.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I can agree with there not being any need for automatic weapons and the need for screening for gun ownership within reason but we must also ask why people that are clearly unbalanced are permitted to run around loose. We must also take care not to overly restrict the rights of legitimate gun owners or price gun ownership out of the hands of average people.
Then there is the nasty little fact that even though hand guns have been restricted since the thirties and automatics have been prohibited for quite a number of years now they are still the weapon of choice for the criminal element. One could deduce from this that even though there are laws existing to control the use of guns they have not proven to be very effective so the prospect of piling on more rules having the desired effect is minimal.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I can agree with there not being any need for automatic weapons and the need for screening for gun ownership within reason but we must also ask why people that are clearly unbalanced are permitted to run around loose. We must also take care not to overly restrict the rights of legitimate gun owners or price gun ownership out of the hands of average people.
Then there is the nasty little fact that even though hand guns have been restricted since the thirties and automatics have been prohibited for quite a number of years now they are still the weapon of choice for the criminal element. One could deduce from this that even though there are laws existing to control the use of guns they have not proven to be very effective so the prospect of piling on more rules having the desired effect is minimal.
Are you referring to US laws or Canadian?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Are you referring to US laws or Canadian?

More Canadian. But I think the effect is the same. Clearly our gun laws are not preventing the criminal element (outside of government employees) from obtaining and using restricted/prohibited weapons.

Also it is hard to gereralise because gun laws in the US are state controlled not federal like ours.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
More Canadian. But I think the effect is the same. Clearly our gun laws are not preventing the criminal element (outside of government employees) from obtaining and using restricted/prohibited weapons.

Also it is hard to gereralise because gun laws in the US are state controlled not federal like ours.

To obtain a gun in the US, with multiple 20 or 30 round mags, ammunition up the hoop is quite easy. Try buying ammo on the street in Canada. Next to impossible.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
To obtain a gun in the US, with multiple 20 or 30 round mags, ammunition up the hoop is quite easy. Try buying ammo on the street in Canada. Next to impossible.

I think that will depend on which state you are in. You would be amazed at what you can buy on the street in Vancouver and probably all other large cities in Canada.

OK you might have to go all the way out to Surrey now.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Republicans open door to gun control; 11-year-old brings gun to school - The Globe and Mail

Some Republicans now say they’re willing to discuss the politically treacherous issue of gun control, along with mental health issues and violent video games, while President Barack Obama said he supports efforts in Congress to reinstate an assault weapons ban in the wake of last week’s Connecticut school shooting.

The most powerful supporter of gun owners, the National Rifle Association, broke its silence Tuesday, four days after the school shooting. After a self-imposed media blackout that left many wondering how it would respond to the killings, it said in a statement that its members were “shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders.”

The group also said it wanted to give families time to mourn before making its first public statements. The organization pledged “to help to make sure this never happens again” and has scheduled a news conference for Friday.

Wonder if it will be the same regurgitated Party Line

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I hope it is.

The debate needs two sides.

Yes- The assault rifle ban was lifted 10 years ago- ammo that can pierce a police officers vest is legal- Why is that.
Over 300 million guns in the US-
What is the use of an assault rifle to a gun owner. I have not gone for mine yet but I do not see a major reason why it is needed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes- The assault rifle ban was lifted 10 years ago- ammo that can pierce a police officers vest is legal- Why is that.
Because at the signing of the Constitutions 2nd Amendment, the signatories had the most modern weaponry in their mind.

What is the use of an assault rifle to a gun owner.
Varmint control comes to mind.

When should I start worrying about my 308?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Because at the signing of the Constitutions 2nd Amendment, the signatories had the most modern weaponry in their mind.

Varmint control comes to mind.

When should I start worrying about my 308?

Is your 308 an assault rifle?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Is your 308 an assault rifle?
No, but it's scary looking and I can put rounds down range into a 3x3 target (My oldest has a far better grouping than I) at 1000yards or better with a hot load.

In the right hands, it has a far greater ability and duration to inflict damage than a semi auto Bushmaster.

I use it for predator control.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Finding the optimum load for a particular rifle takes a lot of time and patience...you have to up the weight of the powder 3 cartridges at a time for a particular projectile then bench rest fire each group until you get the best (smalest) grouping, then adjust the sights for that load.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Finding the optimum load for a particular rifle takes a lot of time and patience...you have to up the weight of the powder 3 cartridges at a time for a particular projectile then bench rest fire each group until you get the best (smalest) grouping, then adjust the sights for that load.
Yer preaching to the converted Padre, lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No, but it's scary looking and I can put rounds down range into a 3x3 target (My oldest has a far better grouping than I) at 1000yards or better with a hot load.

In the right hands, it has a far greater ability and duration to inflict damage than a semi auto Bushmaster.

I use it for predator control.

I would agree. But when i hear a member of Congress stating that the principle should have had a rifle to take the shooter out. Does that not indicate a massive problem that has to be addressed.

When you have to arm principles and teachers you have a problem. A massive social problem.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yes.

Agreed.

May I suggest starting with a complete overhaul of the mental health system.

Yes. The problems that we have now can be traced back to the 70's
Many do not recall what it was like back then.

Cannot recall the name of the order where a person how no chance but to be locked up. Lieutenant Governors order comes to mind. I recall a case where a man was locked up for decades as no one could understand him. A staff member from a very small ethnic minority heard him talking and it was the same language her Grandmother spoke. They got an interpreter and he was was released. Imagine the torment that man went thru.