G.O.P. Senators Not Satisfied as Rice Concedes Error on Libya

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
No rice for you!

WASHINGTON — Susan E. Rice may have hoped that paying a conciliatory call on three hostile Senate Republicans on Tuesday would smooth over a festering dispute about the deadly attack on the American diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, and clear a roadblock to her nomination as secretary of state.

But the senators seemed anything but mollified, signaling instead that they would still oppose Ms. Rice, the ambassador to the United Nations, if she is nominated by President Obama, even after she conceded errors in the account of the assault she gave on Sunday morning television programs shortly after it occurred in September.

Two of the Republicans, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, said they would seek to block Ms. Rice, who according to administration officials remains Mr. Obama’s preferred choice to succeed Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. The third Republican, Senator John McCain of Arizona, said on Fox that he would be “very hard-pressed” to support Ms. Rice.
“Bottom line, I’m more disturbed than I was before,” Mr. Graham said after the tense, closed-door meeting.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/u...cans-say-concerns-grow-over-rice.html?hp&_r=0

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I saw this story on CNN this morning and I wondered why she even bothered to meet with
these people, nothing would satisfy them its a political agenda they are involved with not
an explanation, or investigation. All the meeting was, was window dressing for the GOP
Sure give them there moment in the spotlight and move on. Oh I forgot the Republicans
can't move on, they lost and they still don't believe it.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Rice may be University trained in Diplomacy but she is no Diplomat. The image she portrays to me is one of playing "Mother may I?' with the President. She is also not truly qualified to do the UN job and certainly not the Secretary of Sate job which Hillary has done so well in. Whoever fills Hillary's shoes has a big task ahead of them to achieve the excellence she has shown us.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
It couldn't really be this simple, could it? "Yes. Yes it could............

If [U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice] is not picked, Kerry would be the logical next choice, and that selection would lead to a special election and a potential GOP pickup. Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.), who just lost reelection, would have a very reasonable chance of winning that special election, despite the state’s blue lean.

And, yes, Senate Republicans are well aware of that series of dominoes.

In recent days, Republicans have begun a quiet effort to push Kerry for the job. Collins as well as Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) have all suggested Kerry would be a good pick, with Collins even saying that he would sail to confirmation if selected. ”I think John Kerry would be an excellent appointment and would be easily confirmed by his colleagues,” Collins said Wednesday.

Why Republicans love John Kerry

Hello, Hello.........nobody's there............