Watching U.S. right-wing media to see election reaction

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah, let's be honest. I'm fairly certain President Obama is going to win the election in about a week and a half, and I want to experience Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Drudge Report, etc., when they have a reaction to an Obama win.

Seriously, if you ever need an excuse to enter this right-wing alternative universe, right now before the 2012 election seems like the time.

Should be quite amusing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah, let's be honest. I'm fairly certain President Obama is going to win the election in about a week and a half, and I want to experience Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Drudge Report, etc., when they have a reaction to an Obama win.

Seriously, if you ever need an excuse to enter this right-wing alternative universe, right now before the 2012 election seems like the time.

Should be quite amusing.

Well, a couple of months ago I would have agreed with your prediction......but now Romney is leading in the polls.......so don't bet on it.

Especially with the Libya fiasco coming to light................

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It'll be Obama, Personallly I couldn't give a rats ass between the two but I don't have to choose. If I did it would be the the devil I know.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Al Gore won more of the popular vote in 2000...the national polls are weighted geographically. That doesn't really represent the Electoral College (EC).

Since I'm at work and have an hour to kill before I can treat some fish, I'll show you what the state polling looks like.

These are the polls that matter, from the swing states:

Pennsylvania (20 EC votes):
Rasmussen- Obama leads 51-46
Muhlenberg- Obama leads 50-45
Gravis Marketing- Obama leads 48-45
Angus Reid- Obama leads 48-39

Michigan (16 EC votes):
FMW/Baydoun Consulting- Obama leads 46.9- 46.6
Angus Reid- Obama leads 49-40
EPIC/MRA- Obama leads 52-46
Rasmussen- Obama leads 52-45
YouGov- Obama leads 52-42

Colorodo (9 EC votes):
PPP- Obama leads 51-47
Purple Strategies- Obama leads 47-46
Grove- Obama leads 46-43
Keating- Obama leads 48-45
NBC- Tie

Ohio (18 EC votes):
CNN- Obama leads 48-44
Purple Strategies- Obama leads 46-44
American Research Group- Obama leads 49-47
Rasmussen- Tie
Lake Research Partners- Obama leads 46-44

Virginia (13 EC votes):
Purple Strategies: Tie
Rasmussen- Romney leads 50-48
Fox News- Romney leads 46-44
PPP- Obama leads 51-46
Mellman- Obama leads 46-45

Florida (29 EC votes):
Susquehanna- Romney leads 51-46
Grove- Obama leads 47-45
Gravis Marketing- Obama leads 50-49
Mellman- Tie

Iowa (6 EC votes):
PPP- Obama leads 49-47
Gravis Marketing- Obama leads 50-46
Rasmussen- Tie

Nevada (6 EC votes):
NBC- Obama leads 50-47
Gravis Marketing- Obama leads 50-49
PPP- Obama leads 49-47
Rasmussen- Obama leads 50-48
American Research Group- Obama leads 49-47

New Hampshire (4 EC votes):
New England College- Obama leads 49-46
Grove- Obama leads 47-44
American Research Group- Romney leads 49-47
Lake Research Partners- Obama leads 48-45

North Carolina (15 EC votes):
PPP- Tie
Gravis Marketing- Romney leads 53-45
Grove- Obama leads 47-44
Civitas- Romney leads 48-47

Wisconsin (10 EC votes):
Rasmussen- Tie
Grove- Obama leads 48-43
PPP- Obama leads 51-45
Angus Reid- Obama leads 48-43

These are the states that remain close, where the two candidates will have to make up the EC votes needed to reach 270, and win the Presidential election. Real Clear Politics right now has it at 201 EC votes for Obama, and 191 EC votes for Romney. That leaves 146 toss-ups, so it's far closer in reality than the picture one gets if they look at National tracking polls like Rasmussen's. If you look closely at those state polling results and the number of EC votes attached, it looks to be tilted in Obama's favour still. If you take their average of polls, and change the map to no toss-up states it comes up with an EC vote total of 290 for Obama to 248 for Romney.

It's still a very close race though. Rasmussen released their registered voter numbers and those were favourable for Romney. But he's going to have to be more competitive in these swing states, some of which are leaning heavy to Obama.

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Never, ever underestimate the American mindset in voting against their best interests.

To be fair to the causual observer in the USA the PAC commercials are wide open because of the 1st Amendment and you can say anything you want, without having to prove it.

If Canada wasn't so close to the USA both physically and economically, it wouldn't be relevant to me which way the vote went, but we can't saw the border and paddle Canada to the South Pacific so we have to pay attention to who get's elected there.

So if you have people who aren't intellectually curious, they aren't going to take the time to research both sides to get a balanced perspective on any given issue.............Guns,Gays,God and Blackness is enough info for some less than astute voters to make a decision.......

Thursday night, Romney aide John Sununu opined that Powell endorsed Obama because, well, both of them are black.
Some in the media argued that Sununu's remarks were, in the words of one Daily News article:

"another unwelcome distraction for the Romney campaign"

And changing the subject is exactly what the Romney campaign wanted to do. Instead of talking about how Colin Powell, emblematic of moderate Republicans everywhere, was sticking with the President, the media spent an entire day talking about whether and to what degree black people are voting for Obama because he's black. Sununu's statement also poured fuel on the always burning (for some) question of whether black people voting for Obama in overwhelming numbers means that black people are racist

Given all this, is there any question that Sununu did exactly what the Romney campaign asked him to? Remember in July, when Sununu and Romney offered a highly-coordinated two-pronged assault on Obama's Americanness? On July 18, Romney called the President's ideas "extraordinarily foreign," and on that same day Sununu uttered his infamous line: "I wish this president would learn to be an American."

We have a very racially divided electorate. As The Washington Post reported Thursday, “Obama has a deficit of 23 percentage points, trailing Republican Mitt Romney 60 percent to 37 percent among whites, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News national tracking poll.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/27/opinion/charles-blow-the-company-romney-keeps.html?_r=0

Stage - YouTube

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Every legitimate poll in the country shows that Romney is either ahead, or very, very close in every swing state.

Nationally, Romney is well ahead.

I predict that Romney will win, big time. The USA simply can not tolerate another 4 years of trillion dollar deficits.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I predict that Romney will win, big time. The USA simply can not tolerate another 4 years of trillion dollar deficits.

Can you define 'big time' ?? It looks very close, though maybe this is more what you want to happen...

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Should be quite amusing.
I feel exactly the same in the opposite camp. I am looking forward to see the implosion of MSNBC, especially Chris Matthews pickled brain, Rober Reich, Paul Krugman, etc.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Huffington Post's Mark Blumenthal on the state of the race in the states:

Pennsylvania: 100% probability of Obama lead
Wisconsin: 98.5% probability of Obama lead
Nevada: 98.1% probability of Obama lead
Ohio: 97.0% probability of Obama lead
Iowa: 95.3% probability of Obama lead
New Hampshire: 82.8% probability of Obama lead
Colorado: 76.7% probability of Obama lead
Virginia: 64.8% probability of Obama lead
Florida: 37.5% probability of Obama lead
North Carolina: 4.1% probability of Obama lead

2012 Polls: When Is A Lead Really A Lead?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I feel exactly the same in the opposite camp. I am looking forward to see the implosion of MSNBC, especially Chris Matthews pickled brain, Rober Reich, Paul Krugman, etc.

So are you doubling down on your prediction of 400 electoral college votes for Romney? 8O

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is the process is far too long and like a ping pong game it goes back and forth
in hype only. People say they will do one thing and do another. American people do not
listen to issues they seem to be distracted by the wrapping paper rather than the substance
of the issue. I too believe when the dust clears Obama will win this election and here is a
reason at the forefront. Obama is seen as someone who is for progress and a new way of
doing things. obamacare for example. Most people want health care and they know they could
lose it. In the end the electoral states will decide it and in that case the edge goes to the man
already in office Obama.
I cannot believe that the media does not weigh in on substance, they go from one silly thing to
another. And both ways, Romney does something minor that is stupid they pile on, Obama
does something stupid and the media piles on We hear all the distractions and in the end
the people don't know the issues as they should, not because they are not listening in all cases
but because the media is not telling the information story. Remember when media had real
reporters instead of commentators?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Every legitimate poll in the country shows that Romney is either ahead, or very, very close in every swing state.

Nationally, Romney is well ahead.

Well, Obama was handed a ten trillion dollar deficit the day he was elected. Sounds like he handled it pretty well.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
So are you doubling down on your prediction of 400 electoral college votes for Romney? 8O
Yes. Or even more, like Reagan in 1980, 489 votes.

Huffington Post's Mark Blumenthal on the state of the race in the states:

Pennsylvania: 100% probability of Obama lead
Wisconsin: 98.5% probability of Obama lead
Nevada: 98.1% probability of Obama lead
Ohio: 97.0% probability of Obama lead
Iowa: 95.3% probability of Obama lead
New Hampshire: 82.8% probability of Obama lead
Colorado: 76.7% probability of Obama lead
Virginia: 64.8% probability of Obama lead
Florida: 37.5% probability of Obama lead
North Carolina: 4.1% probability of Obama lead

2012 Polls: When Is A Lead Really A Lead?
Huff Post, nuff said.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Colpy; said:
Well, a couple of months ago I would have agreed with your prediction......but now Romney is leading in the polls.......so don't bet on it.

Especially with the Libya fiasco coming to light................

The right wing media is trying to make political capital out of it for Romney but the facts do not warrant any such luck for him:

Condi Rice Pours Cold Water On ‘Benghazi-Gate’

Condi Rice Pours Cold Water On 'Benghazi-Gate' | ThinkProgress

Former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice broke with the majority of her party last night on Fox News, as she tried to hit the brakes on the right wing’s politicization of the recent attack in Libya. Host Greta Van Susteren asked Rice directly and repeatedly about a set of emails uncovered by Reuters. In what has been dubbed “Benghazi-Gate,” the conservative media has jumped on the emails as definitive proof that the Obama administration has been lying about what it knew and when in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attack on a diplomatic mission in Benghazi. Rice’s response was likely not what Van Susteren expected:
RICE: But when things are unfolding very, very quickly, it’s not always easy to know what is really going on on the ground. And to my mind, the really important questions here are about how information was collected. Did the various agencies really coordinate and share intelligence in the way that we had hoped, with the reforms that were made after 9/11?
So there’s a big picture to be examined here. But we don’t have all of the pieces, and I think it’s easy to try and jump to conclusions about what might have happened here. It’s probably better to let the relevant bodies do their work .....

------------------

The Fox network tried to make a case for Obama refusing to give assistance to the CIA but that report was refuted even before the right wing liar's propaganda hit the air waves:

Lou Dobbs Forgets To Report CIA's Denial That It Ordered Personnel To Abandon Americans In Benghazi | Research | Media Matters for America

Panetta: US lacked early info on Benghazi attack

Panetta: US lacked early info on Benghazi attack | recordonline.com

The U.S. military did not quickly intervene during the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya last month because military leaders did not have adequate intelligence information and felt they should not put American forces at risk, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday.
In his most extensive comments to date on the unfolding controversy surrounding the attack in Benghazi, Panetta said U.S. forces were on heightened alert because of the anniversary of 9/11 and prepared to respond. But, he said, the attack happened over a few hours and was over before the U.S. had the chance to know what was really occurring.

The attack lasted FOUR hours. Therefore, military force could not be deployed because it was not accessible and without fear of violating Libya's sovereignty.

Therefore, contrary to the wishes of the right wing, Benghazigate is a nothing more than a political hoax.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Obama or Romney. Its like people are interested in this election for bragging rights of who won. Ether way America will keep spinning down the drain, just as fast.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The right wing media is trying to make political capital out of it for Romney but the facts do not warrant any such luck for him:

Condi Rice Pours Cold Water On ‘Benghazi-Gate’

Condi Rice Pours Cold Water On 'Benghazi-Gate' | ThinkProgress

Former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice broke with the majority of her party last night on Fox News, as she tried to hit the brakes on the right wing’s politicization of the recent attack in Libya. Host Greta Van Susteren asked Rice directly and repeatedly about a set of emails uncovered by Reuters. In what has been dubbed “Benghazi-Gate,” the conservative media has jumped on the emails as definitive proof that the Obama administration has been lying about what it knew and when in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attack on a diplomatic mission in Benghazi. Rice’s response was likely not what Van Susteren expected:
RICE: But when things are unfolding very, very quickly, it’s not always easy to know what is really going on on the ground. And to my mind, the really important questions here are about how information was collected. Did the various agencies really coordinate and share intelligence in the way that we had hoped, with the reforms that were made after 9/11?
So there’s a big picture to be examined here. But we don’t have all of the pieces, and I think it’s easy to try and jump to conclusions about what might have happened here. It’s probably better to let the relevant bodies do their work .....

------------------

The Fox network tried to make a case for Obama refusing to give assistance to the CIA but that report was refuted even before the right wing liar's propaganda hit the air waves:

Lou Dobbs Forgets To Report CIA's Denial That It Ordered Personnel To Abandon Americans In Benghazi | Research | Media Matters for America

Panetta: US lacked early info on Benghazi attack

Panetta: US lacked early info on Benghazi attack | recordonline.com

The U.S. military did not quickly intervene during the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya last month because military leaders did not have adequate intelligence information and felt they should not put American forces at risk, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday.
In his most extensive comments to date on the unfolding controversy surrounding the attack in Benghazi, Panetta said U.S. forces were on heightened alert because of the anniversary of 9/11 and prepared to respond. But, he said, the attack happened over a few hours and was over before the U.S. had the chance to know what was really occurring.

The attack lasted FOUR hours. Therefore, military force could not be deployed because it was not accessible and without fear of violating Libya's sovereignty.

Therefore, contrary to the wishes of the right wing, Benghazigate is a nothing more than a political hoax.

Except this is "Only-Gate" on Obama's foreign policy so the right will keep the bs alive for as long as possible (or at least a week and one-half more).

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Except this is "Only-Gate" on Obama's foreign policy so the right will keep thes alive for as long as possible (or at least a week and one-half more).
Fast and furious, Iran's Green movement, Syria, Iran nuclear ambitions......Only-gate your ass.