Obama moves to make the War on Terror permanent

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda:

They promised there'd be no math;

"Mullen told White House and counterterrorism officials that the Pakistani military chief had demanded an answer to a seemingly reasonable question: After hundreds of drone strikes, how could the United States possibly still be working its way through a top 20 list?​
http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/021728.html#comments

From The Guardian:

Complete with a newly coined, creepy Orwellian euphemism – 'disposition matrix' – the administration institutionalizes the most extremist powers a government can claim

A primary reason for opposing the acquisition of abusive powers and civil liberties erosions is that they virtually always become permanent, vested not only in current leaders one may love and trust but also future officials who seem more menacing and less benign. The Washington Post has a crucial and disturbing story this morning by Greg Miller about the concerted efforts by the Obama administration to fully institutionalize – to make officially permanent – the most extremist powers it has exercised in the name of the war on terror.

Based on interviews with "current and former officials from the White House and the Pentagon, as well as intelligence and counterterrorism agencies", Miller reports that as "the United States' conventional wars are winding down", the Obama administration "expects to continue adding names to kill or capture lists for years" (the "capture" part of that list is little more than symbolic, as the US focus is overwhelmingly on the "kill" part). Specifically, "among senior Obama administration officials, there is broad consensus that such operations are likely to be extended at least another decade." As Miller puts it: "That timeline suggests that the United States has reached only the midpoint of what was once known as the global war on terrorism."

This Guardian story and updates from others:

Obama moves to make the War on Terror permanent | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thats what happens when you go to war against a tactic rather than an identifiable enemy. There will always be people who use said tactic somewhere.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe the war on terror will end the same way as the war on cancer with people complacent, donning pink crap and walking circles in the park thinknig they are fighting the good fight.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I doubt that'll ever happen. Terror has been used in nearly every war, generally by all sides at one point or another.

No doubt.. But in the meantime, it's a handy philosophy that justifies the military engaging in 'trial runs' on their new war tech

Maybe the war on terror will end the same way as the war on cancer with people complacent, donning pink crap and walking circles in the park thinknig they are fighting the good fight.

You just described the Occupy movement

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Occucry......

With a 50/50 shot (males) of contracting Cancer, I'm pissed off at the stupidity and lack of desire to live a full happy life expressed by participants of these "walks and runs".

Terrorism as a threat to my life falls extremely low on the list of potential hazzards.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I doubt that'll ever happen. Terror has been used in nearly every war, generally by all sides at one point or another.

Well if you are at the mid level of any of these orgs you know that there is upward mobility in your future.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
No doubt.. But in the meantime, it's a handy philosophy that justifies the military engaging in 'trial runs' on their new war tech

An all out war seems like a waste of time and resources. I like how they got Bin Laden, just a few guys and a couple helicopters. Go in, kill the guy and pull out.

Well if you are at the mid level of any of these orgs you know that there is upward mobility in your future.

And a very short career at or near the top. Thats one organization where I imagine most dont want a promotion.

With a 50/50 shot (males) of contracting Cancer, I'm pissed off at the stupidity and lack of desire to live a full happy life expressed by participants of these "walks and runs".

Terrorism as a threat to my life falls extremely low on the list of potential hazzards.

True. We're far more likely to be taken out by a bus while crossing a street than a terrorist attack. Or as you say, cancer. That'd be a useful thing to pump money into compared to keeping thousands of troops overseas permanently.