Obama campaign turning grim

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
You need to read way, way, way down into this National Journal piece to find the key bit, but it’s worth it. Says Jay Cost, “I’ve never seen anybody bury a lede like Major Garrett here.”

Let’s bring this treasure chest up to the surface:
What also became clear after the dust began to settle from the rumble on Long Island was the electoral map has narrowed and Obama’s team, while conceding nothing publicly, is circling the wagons around Ohio, Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada. Plouffe said that Obama remains strong in all four states, but he would not discuss the specifics of internal polling or voter-contact a n a l ytics, saying only that Obama has “significant leads” in all four places.

It is uncharacteristic of Team Obama to concede any terrain, but Plouffe offered no such assurances about Obama’s position in North Carolina, Virginia, or Florida. Romney advisers have seen big gains in all three states and now consider wins likely, although not guaranteed, in all three. They are similarly upbeat about prospects in Colorado but not confident enough to predict victory. That Plouffe left Colorado off his list of states where Obama’s leading and can withstand a Romney surge might be telling…

Romney, according to RCP, has 191 electoral votes. If you add Florida (29), North Carolina (15), and Virginia (13), that brings his total to 248 electoral votes. Add Colorado (9) –which neither campaign is prepared to claim or concede–and Romney’s total rises to 257 electoral votes. If Romney wins Ohio (eighteen in addition to these states, he would have 275 electoral votes. If Romney loses Ohio, he would need to win Iowa, Nevada, and New Hampshire to reach 273 electoral votes.

Meanwhile, from CNN’s Peter Hamby:
The buzz from Columbus: Ohio race was reset by Romney’s first debate (and he may have even been up heading into debate #2)

— Peter Hamby (@PeterHambyCNN) October 17, 2012

more intrigue

Report: Obama campaign turning grim on Florida, Virginia, North Carolina — and Colorado? « Hot Air

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
The DNC quest for money in California is almost a show of desperation. If they have to buy this election I wonder what the outcome will be? No doubt a cheap performance until they can pay the money lenders back.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
The DNC quest for money in California is almost a show of desperation. If they have to buy this election I wonder what the outcome will be? No doubt a cheap performance until they can pay the money lenders back.

Meanwhile ,back in the real world, the Tea leaf blogsites were just, as it turns out,- Mainlining oxycontin...