How Taxpayer's Subsidize Religion in the United States

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The home in the photo (above) is the $1.75 million mansion of the Reverend Randy White, the former head pastor of Without Walls International Church in Tampa, Florida. While some people may be bothered by the fact that there are pastors who live in multimillion dollar homes, this is old news to most. But here is what should bother you about these expensive homes: You are helping to pay for them! You pay for them indirectly, the same way local, state, and federal governments in the United States subsidize religion—to the tune of about $71 billion every year.

We mention Rev. White because he was the impetus for this article. White and his mansion came up in a class taught by lead author Ryan T. Cragun. In that discussion, the other authors asked how much Pastor White pays in taxes on his income. The answer wasn’t readily available. Only a handful of publications in the sociology of religion have examined the finances of religions, and they are largely aimed at telling religions how to increase donations.1 Nowhere did we find prior research summarizing and detailing religious finances and tax policy, so we decided to investigate it ourselves. This article is the result. It took some digging, but we think we now have a moderately clear understanding of the tax laws regarding religions in the United States. What we found suggests that religious institutions, if they were required to pay taxes the same as for-profit corporations do, would not have nearly as much money or influence as they enjoy in America today. In this article we estimate how much local, state, and federal governments subsidize religions.

However, before we get into our calculations, we think it best to address a criticism that is likely to be raised about this article. By suggesting that these groups should pay taxes, we are likely to be criticized by those who think that religions are largely charitable institutions engaged in beneficial service or charitable work and should therefore be exempt from taxes. This criticism requires responses at two levels, because there are two ways to think about religious “charity.” The first type of charity is the type that most people think of when they hear the phrase “serving people’s physical needs” (feeding and clothing the poor, building schools, and the like). The second type is different and involves addressing people’s “spiritual concerns.”

more

Council for Secular Humanism

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Internet evangelist Bill Keller is urging the faithful to promise to vote for Jesus for president in this election.

So far, his website, VotingforJesus.com, says it has more than 1.6 million pledges to write in the name of Jesus on their ballots instead of any other presidential candidate.

If even half of those who signed the pledge vote accordingly, this could signal real trouble for Mitt Romney in close races by reducing the pool of voters who usually opt for the GOP.

more

http://www.politicus...on-pledges.html

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And let's not forget Boston Mayor Mennino selling city land valued at $2 million for $175K for a mosque. A tax payer funded donation of $1.8 Million! Sweet deal Mayor.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Internet evangelist Bill Keller is urging the faithful to promise to vote for Jesus for president in this election.

So far, his website, VotingforJesus.com, says it has more than 1.6 million pledges to write in the name of Jesus on their ballots instead of any other presidential candidate.

If even half of those who signed the pledge vote accordingly, this could signal real trouble for Mitt Romney in close races by reducing the pool of voters who usually opt for the GOP.

more

http://www.politicus...on-pledges.html

As George Carlin would say" "They are fukkin nuts!"

But not as nuts as Romneyites

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The time has come where all citizens and organizations follow the law what ever the law is.
That means they pay tax, income tax, property tax and all other taxes as well. If they do
receive any funding of any kind including funding for programs they should be required to
perform services as laid out by federal law no exemptions period.
Now for deductions.
If the church provides shelter, or food, or clothing, or education, what ever the tangible
service is they should receive a tax deduction. All written material that solicits money
or collections or Holy books etc should be taxed as part of the God Business.
Its long past due, where some believe everyone is equal its just that some are more equal
than other.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Just the US? It seems to me this is the case in every country where organized religion exists. That said, it would certainly be a start if registered religions were required to submit to annual audits so that their spending could be made public.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
We subsidize the petroleum industry too. 28% of the exploration and development costs of a site are billed to the US government who pays any time a bill is received and verified. A firm developing ammunition propellants in New Mexico is 50% US DOD subsidized. So just look at just how many under the table deals there are in the US to keep the energy and weapons operators in business. If the truth were raelly known there may be trouble in the cities with hundreds of homeless and starving citizens.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Political watchdog and secularist groups are asking the U.S. government to investigate whether Catholic bishops and a Christian evangelical group headed by preacher Billy Graham should lose tax breaks for telling followers how to vote in this year's election.

Under constitutional protections of free speech and separation of church and state, churches are free to speak on any issue. But they risk losing tax breaks worth $145 billion in the past decade if they violate Internal Revenue Service rules by promoting or opposing any particular candidate. Other non-profits also have special tax status.

The group's executive director, Melanie Sloan, said some bishops went too far by saying a vote for Democrats would mean going to hell.

Election blurring of church, state separation draws complaints | Reuters

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Minister/Priests pay income tax on their income at the exact same rates as anyone else. The Church income MAY be exempt from taxes, but not in all cases.

The US Government is NOT investigating ANY religious group for political activity, and announced that fact recently. They have not investigated any religion for political activity since 2005. This was written up in an Associated Press news release last week.

I have been a Catholic for 56 of my 69 years, and I have NEVER been told how to vote by any Priest, Nun, Bishop, Deacon, Brother or any other church official. Neither has anyone that I have ever spoken to.

It simply amazes me how people will post anything, based on their prejudice, ignorance or desire to slam some group.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think every religious organization should be entitled to tax free status IF they are performing charity within the community at an appropriate percentage of their revenue. (let the gov work out what that should be, I have no clue). But, part of why I attend the Catholic church is for the very fact that if I put my money in a collection box, I want to know that it will be going toward work such as Catholic Social Services, and not just building a shinier building, buying fancy robes for the choir, a new car for the pastor's wife, etc.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Oliver’s segment skewered preachers whose fantastic displays of wealth come at a large cost to parishioners who they compel to donate what little money they have. They tend to believe in the conveniently self-serving idea of prosperity as a sign of God’s favor.

“I do believe in supernatural debt cancellation,” LeClaire writes. “And I don’t believe we should mock so-called prosperity preachers, even if we don’t believe they hear from God. Nor do I believe we should insinuate that God is cursing at them, as Oliver did.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/christian-pastor-lashes-out-at-false-reverend-john-oliver-for-mocking-predatory-televangelists/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg&feature=player_embedded

Anthony explained to CBS News that televangelists are able to receive millions because the IRS has turned a “blind eye” to their tax-exempt churches.

“A few years ago, the IRS named Scientology a church. Since that happened, anybody can call themselves a church,” Anthony said.
CBS News reports the IRS only conducted three church audits from 2013 to 2014 after suspending them completely from 2009 to 2013.

“You are always going to find abuses and excesses in the non-profit community, and even in the church world,” Alliance Defending Freedom Senior Counsel Erik Stanley told CBS News.

He added, “There is no surer way to destroy that free exercise of religion than to begin to tax it.”

Oliver set up his own church called “Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption” to prove his point.

“Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption will not be able to accept donations from Church supporters from the states of Mississippi, Nevada, Pennsylvania, or South Carolina. We apologize for any inconvenience. Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption may choose to wind down and dissolve in the near future,” the website states. “Upon dissolution, any assets belonging to the Church at that time will be distributed to Doctors Without Borders, a non-profit charitable organization that is tax-exempt under § 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (EIN: 13-3433452) and which provides emergency medical aid in places where it is needed most.”

The IRS did not comment to CBS News about the story.

IRS Getting Pressured To Crack Down On Televangelists « CBS DC