ACLU: Bush administration quadrupled warrantless wiretaps.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Just kidding. It was Obama and Holder.

from: Doug Ross @ Journal: ACLU: Bush administration quadrupled warrantless wiretaps. Just kidding. It was Obama and Holder.

Gee, and all this time I thought Democrats hated wiretaps and warrantless surveillance. The ACLU reports:

Justice Department documents released today by the ACLU reveal that federal law enforcement agencies are increasingly monitoring Americans’ electronic communications, and doing so without warrants, sufficient oversight, or meaningful accountability.

...The reports show a dramatic increase in the use of ... surveillance tools, which are used to gather information about telephone, email, and other Internet communications. The revelations underscore the importance of regulating and overseeing the government’s surveillance power.

...During that same time period, the number of people whose telephones were the subject of pen register and trap and trace surveillance more than tripled. In fact, more people were subjected to pen register and trap and trace surveillance in the past two years than in the entire previous decade...

more

Doug Ross @ Journal: ACLU: Bush administration quadrupled warrantless wiretaps. Just kidding. It was Obama and Holder.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
If you liked it you should be four times as happy.

Interesting to note that when Bush did it, the right wingers were pleased and said this was necessary for our protection. When Obama does it, somehow, it's against the Constitution.

But just wait ~ if Romney wins in November and continues this policy the right wingers will change their minds again. ;)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Interesting to note that when Bush did it, the right wingers were pleased and said this was necessary for our protection. When Obama does it, somehow, it's against the Constitution.

But just wait ~ if Romney wins in November and continues this policy the right wingers will change their minds again. ;)

So far I haven't seen anyone in this forum dissing Obama for for the action.......

Just pointing out the irony........

And the circle the wagon mentality of the left....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So far I haven't seen anyone in this forum dissing Obama for for the action.......

Just pointing out the irony........

And the circle the wagon mentality of the left....
The loony left doesn't understand irony, although they are so very ironic.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OK....so the above happened under Obama's watch. Let's assume it's
a fact. It happened.

What I find as weird is that it doesn't explain why it happened in the O.P.
or the LINK in the O.P. and nobody so far is asking why this happened.
What's the big picture behind this happening as a justification, or am I
missing the point in the left/right thing?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
OK....so the above happened under Obama's watch. Let's assume it's
a fact. It happened.

What I find as weird is that it doesn't explain why it happened in the O.P.
or the LINK in the O.P. and nobody so far is asking why this happened.
What's the big picture behind this happening as a justification, or am I
missing the point in the left/right thing?

What I gathered from the OP was that what was MSM news while Bush was at the helm is inconsequential now...and Obama gets a pass for what they were ready to hang Bush for....:lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
What the OP says to me is that one is just as bad as the other. Which really just translates into "No one is a winner here."

But that's my opinion. I don't trust any government or any politician.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

You're overgeneralizing. Some right-wingers are probably simply pointing out the hypocricy of some on the left. Some right-wingers support thhis, others don't. Obviously it's the same with the right.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OK......why where "more people were subjected to pen register and trap and trace surveillance in the past two years than in the entire previous decade..." ????

In the OP, the fact that it happened is covered, but why it happened isn't,
and nobody seems to have asked the question. That's still what I find
weird.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good point Ron. Maybe there was mure suspicious activity more recently to possibly warrant it... maybe. Though for me espionage is not an area I respect very much. Police investigations, yes, but outright espionage?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here we fall into the "maybe" zone though....without any background, which
would either justify or condem the actions in the O.P. and that's skipped over.

It's like telling a story and starting with, "It was a dark and stormy night and..."
and then walking away.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Warrantless wiretaps and surveillance was unconstitutional when Bush did it and it's unconstitutional when Obama does it. There is no grey areas here.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
In my opinion everyone associated from any of the three Bush administrations should be indicted to appear in front of the World Court to be tried for "Crimes against Humanity!" All we money grabbers and did questionable practices daily. Bush Jr, Cheney, Rumsfeld and and Ashforth should be given Life sentences too. The fiscal crisis of 2007-08 was setup by that crew and overseen by retire Goldman -Sachs CEO Paulson who later went back after the swindle was pulled off with out a hitch. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and Maxine Waters should be in cells in the Haague too. Bernanake should be looked at hard too. This was the culmination of a long term well scripted conspiracy by many wealthy Americans all of whom profitted handsomely.