Why I Refuse to Vote for Barack Obama-- Article

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Why I Refuse to Vote for Barack Obama - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

I find Obama likable when I see him on TV. He is a caring husband and father, a thoughtful speaker, and possessed of an inspirational biography. On stage, as he smiles into the camera, using words to evoke some of the best sentiments within us, it's hard to believe certain facts about him:

1. Obama terrorizes innocent Pakistanis on an almost daily basis. The drone war he is waging in North Waziristan isn't "precise" or "surgical" as he would have Americans believe. It kills hundreds of innocents, including children. And for thousands of more innocents who live in the targeted communities, the drone war makes their lives into a nightmare worthy of dystopian novels. People are always afraid. Women cower in their homes. Children are kept out of school. The stress they endure gives them psychiatric disorders. Men are driven crazy by an inability to sleep as drones buzz overhead 24 hours a day, a deadly strike possible at any moment. At worst, this policy creates more terrorists than it kills; at best, America is ruining the lives of thousands of innocent people and killing hundreds of innocents for a small increase in safety from terrorists. It is a cowardly, immoral, and illegal policy, deliberately cloaked in opportunistic secrecy. And Democrats who believe that it is the most moral of all responsible policy alternatives are as misinformed and blinded by partisanship as any conservative ideologue.

2. Obama established one of the most reckless precedents imaginable: that any president can secretly order and oversee the extrajudicial killing of American citizens. Obama's kill list transgresses against the Constitution as egregiously as anything George W. Bush ever did. It is as radical an invocation of executive power as anything Dick Cheney championed. The fact that the Democrats rebelled against those men before enthusiastically supporting Obama is hackery every bit as blatant and shameful as anything any talk radio host has done.

3. Contrary to his own previously stated understanding of what the Constitution and the War Powers Resolution demand, President Obama committed U.S. forces to war in Libya without Congressional approval, despite the lack of anything like an imminent threat to national security.

Obama has done more than any modern executive to wage war on whistleblowers. In fact, under Obama, Bush-era lawbreakers, including literal torturers, have been subject to fewer and less draconian attempts at punishment them than some of the people who conscientiously came forward to report on their misdeeds.)

I can imagine he'd kill more Americans without trial and in secret, or that he wouldn't kill any. I can imagine that he'd kill more innocent Pakistani kids or fewer. His rhetoric suggests he would be worse. I agree with that. Then again, Romney revels in bellicosity; Obama soothes with rhetoric and kills people in secret.

To hell with them both.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
1. Obama terrorizes innocent Pakistanis on an almost daily basis.

2. Obama's kill list transgresses against the Constitution as egregiously as anything George W. Bush ever did.

3.President Obama committed U.S. forces to war in Libya without Congressional approval, despite the lack of anything like an imminent threat to national security.

Obama has done more than any modern executive to wage war on whistleblowers. In fact, under Obama, Bush-era lawbreakers, including literal torturers, have been subject to fewer and less draconian attempts at punishment them than .
Hey, I thought this guy Obama had no balls!!!
Now I'm voting for Obama !!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Obama established one of the most reckless precedents imaginable: that any president can secretly order and oversee the extrajudicial killing of American citizens.

Total bullsh1t. We've gone this crap so many times it is just ridiculous ~ J Edgar Hoover killed dozens of Black Panthers, Puerto Rican Independistas, and others during his reign of terror in the FBI with the blessings of the White House. Where was the objection back then???

Same thing can be said with the other crap that appears on that article:

Drones? We've gone over this at least one dozen times - it was Bush who started the covert war in Pakistan with drones but nobody objected when he did. When I mentioned it some right wingers said I was full of sh1t even though I presented links to evidentiary articles.

War powers? Lyndon Johnson marched into the Dominican Republic without Congressional authorization in 1965 to support fascists against liberal democratic reformer Juan Bosch. Reagan supported the fascist Contras against a democratically elected government for which he should have been impeached and removed from office but, as usual, the Congress wiped his ass.

As for whistle blowers - wikileaks has been under attacked by the White House since its inception in 2006.

None of these constitute "precedents" by Obama. They have been a long standing tradition by the White House since time immemorial as we have discussed at least 100 times on this forum. If anyone feels compelled to vote for Romney, or the CPUSA, or Benedict Arnold that's their right to do so. But to say that any of this is precedent started by Obama is sheer nonsense.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Total bullsh1t. We've gone this crap so many times it is just ridiculous ~ J Edgar Hoover killed dozens of Black Panthers, Puerto Rican Independistas, and others during his reign of terror in the FBI with the blessings of the White House. Where was the objection back then???

The FBI killing bank robbers in shoot-outs isn't quite similar to a president literally ignoring the constitution completely and assassinating american citizens.

Drones? We've gone over this at least one dozen times - it was Bush who started the covert war in Pakistan with drones but nobody objected when he did. When I mentioned it some right wingers said I was full of sh1t even though I presented links to evidentiary articles.
I don't understand the argument. Regardless of who started the use of drones, Obama is continuing it and enhancing the ferociousness of the attacks.

War powers? Lyndon Johnson marched into the Dominican Republic without Congressional authorization in 1965 to support fascists against liberal democratic reformer Juan Bosch. Reagan supported the fascist Contras against a democratically elected government for which he should have been impeached and removed from office but, as usual, the Congress wiped his ass.

As for whistle blowers - wikileaks has been under attacked by the White House since its inception in 2006.

None of these constitute "precedents" by Obama. They have been a long standing tradition by the White House since time immemorial as we have discussed at least 100 times on this forum. If anyone feels compelled to vote for Romney, or the CPUSA, or Benedict Arnold that's their right to do so. But to say that any of this is precedent started by Obama is sheer nonsense.

The article isn't arguing that any of these things were initiated by Obama for the first time. Anyone who knows a little bit about the history of their foreign policy and American History in general knows that atrocities committed by their government have been going on since the country's inception.
It's an opinion piece of why this author will not vote Obama, it's the exposure of Obama's hypocrisy, and it's a rebuttal to the argument by Obama supporters that he would be the lesser of two evils. ("If two candidates favored a return to slavery, or wanted to stone adulterers, you wouldn't cast your ballot for the one with the better position on health care.")

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
ignoring the constitution

That's PRECISELY what Hoover did when he used COINTELPRO did by framing people for crimes they did not commit as shown in links that I have provided here. Anyone under trial is assumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law - a fact that Hoover conveniently forgot. As for the use of drones since voting for Obama is such a bad idea I would suppose voting for Romney is just as bad since he wants to continue those wars and expand them into Iran.