White House won't denounce "Piss Christ"

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
after repeatedly denouncing Muhammad movie

Religious groups are blasting President Obama for not condemning am anti-Christian art display set to appear in New York City and one Republican lawmaker said he is “fed up with the administration’s double standard and religious hypocrisy.

“Piss Christ,” once branded as a “deplorable, despicable display of vulgarity,” will be displayed at the Edward Tyler Nahem Gallery in Manhattan on Thursday. The artwork features a “photograph of the crucifix submerged in the artist’s urine.”

The artwork debuted in 1989 and was funded through prize money provided by the National Endowment for the Arts. The art gallery hosting the retrospective salute to Andres Serrano is privately owned.

Religious groups and some lawmakers have already started sounding off – and making comparisons to the controversy over a recent anti-Muslim film. The low budget movie “Innocence of Muslims” sparked violent and deadly clashes across the globe.

It also brought strong rebukes, condemnations and apologies from President Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and a host of administration officials.

The administration tried to have the film removed from YouTube – but Google rebuffed their request. The State Dept. spent $70,000 on a Pakistani television advertisement rebuking the film. And the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff personally telephoned a Christian minister in Florida to ask him to withdraw his support of the film.

more

WH Silent Over Demands to Denounce ‘Piss Christ’ Artwork | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

h/t Blazing Cat Fur: I call this "Piss Obama"

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
“fed up with the administration’s double standard and religious hypocrisy."

Wow. It sure seems like truer words have never been spoken!

And I'm sorry, but the object in question is not art. What it is, is garbage.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
after repeatedly denouncing Muhammad movie

Religious groups are blasting President Obama for not condemning am anti-Christian art display set to appear in New York City and one Republican lawmaker said he is “fed up with the administration’s double standard and religious hypocrisy.

“Piss Christ,” once branded as a “deplorable, despicable display of vulgarity,” will be displayed at the Edward Tyler Nahem Gallery in Manhattan on Thursday. The artwork features a “photograph of the crucifix submerged in the artist’s urine.”

This is not art. It is the pretentious garbage of a self-important individual.

The artwork debuted in 1989 and was funded through prize money provided by the National Endowment for the Arts. The art gallery hosting the retrospective salute to Andres Serrano is privately owned.

Religious groups and some lawmakers have already started sounding off – and making comparisons to the controversy over a recent anti-Muslim film. The low budget movie “Innocence of Muslims” sparked violent and deadly clashes across the globe.
This is also not art. It is a really bad, poorly made film that could only find an audience on YouTube.

Neither one of which is worth the time it takes to view them, let alone to get angry and violent over. For crying out loud, if we would all just learn to ignore these idiots when they make their "art" they would eventually go away. Pay them this much attention though, and we'll never be rid of them.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This is not art. It is the pretentious garbage of a self-important individual.

This is also not art. It is a really bad, poorly made film that could only find an audience on YouTube.

Neither one of which is worth the time it takes to view them, let alone to get angry and violent over. For crying out loud, if we would all just learn to ignore these idiots when they make their "art" they would eventually go away. Pay them this much attention though, and we'll never be rid of them.

The thing of it is, I wonder how many of the people that are getting so angry over this "film" have actually even seen it? It seems their leaders like to lather them up in a fanatical froth over the most inane reasons.

I guess that is where the detractors of Piss Christ differ from the ones railing against the movie. The detractors of Piss Christ aren't going around saying that the "artist" should be beheaded or anything so severe. That says something, doesn't it?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Who really cares? Whiners sounding like their radical Islam brothers.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The thing of it is, I wonder how many of the people that are getting so angry over this "film" have actually even seen it? It seems their leaders like to lather them up in a fanatical froth over the most inane reasons.

I guess that is where the detractors of Piss Christ differ from the ones railing against the movie. The detractors of Piss Christ aren't going around saying that the "artist" should be beheaded or anything so severe. That says something, doesn't it?

That is the real point that needs be taken. We won't hold our breath though. I have inlaws that still send money to Jimmy Swaggart (he was forgiven by God ya know) but have not heard them advocate violence against those who do not share their beliefs.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Yeah but it's all word of mouth, rumour and innuendo too. We see what the news reports show us. I'm quite sure there are lots of people in the M.E. right now that think the whole thing as stupid as we do.

But the fanaticism we do see is unnerving. I always kind of thought, we have our own nutbars over here, but we're more familiar with them so they're less frightening.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah but it's all word of mouth, rumour and innuendo too. We see what the news reports show us. I'm quite sure there are lots of people in the M.E. right now that think the whole thing as stupid as we do.

But the fanaticism we do see if unnerving. I always kind of thought, we have our own nutbars over here, but we're more familiar with them so they're less frightening.

I have no doubt that there are quite a few that aren't fanatics. It's just that the ones that are seem to have the loudest "voice".8O

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I have no doubt that there are quite a few that aren't fanatics. It's just that the ones that are seem to have the loudest "voice".8O

Isn't that always the way? Anyone who is an extremist, they always scream the loudest. Then everyone thinks there are a great number of them. There isn't really, they're just loud.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Isn't that always the way? Anyone who is an extremist, they always scream the loudest. Then everyone thinks there are a great number of them. There isn't really, they're just loud.

It goes for almost anything. Here's an example. One person watches a television show that "offends" them and it seems that their voice is more important to all the others who weren't offended by it. How does that make sense?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It goes for almost anything. Here's an example. One person watches a television show that "offends" them and it seems that their voice is more important to all the others who weren't offended by it. How does that make sense?

Squeeky wheel gets the grease. May not make sense, but it's as old as time.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I have a question. Since when is any government required to comment on every incident of religious disrespect? Let's face it, if the White House were to do so Obama wouldn't have time for anything else considering the thousands of times a year that it occurs. This is the usual right wing BS with the usual right wing idiots sagely nodding their heads.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's election time, that means time for the rightwing nutters to go on their predictable anti-Presidential religious crusade.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
That is the real point that needs be taken. We won't hold our breath though. I have inlaws that still send money to Jimmy Swaggart (he was forgiven by God ya know) but have not heard them advocate violence against those who do not share their beliefs.

'We have the ability to take him (Chavez) out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability,' Robertson said.
USATODAY.com - Pat Robertson calls for assassination of Hugo Chavez

Pastor Charles Worley of Maiden, N.C.'s Providence Road Baptist Church recently told his congregation that lesbians and "queers" should be rounded up, placed in camps with electrified fencing, and left to die.
Worley believes that placing gays in camps will ensure homosexuality dies out since gays "don't reproduce."
North Carolina Preacher Charles Worley Wants Gay People Put in Concentration Camps | Advocate.com