Mitt Romney's WSJ Article on What He Learned At Bain Capital

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
- This interesting op ed piece was written by Romney for today's Wall Street Journal.

- It cites some of the managerial lessons he learned from rescuing and revitalizing American companies in diverse industries.

- Perhaps Obama will soon favour us with his WSJ op-ed piece about what he learned smoking pot and snorting coke at high school and at Columbia U, what he learned on the mean streets of Chicago as a community organizer whose job was to siphon off money from producers to idlers, and what he learned as a part time law lecturer and short time senator.

- Somehow, I doubt that Obama will be writing about what managerial lessons he learned from his experience because he did not have any managerial experience.

- Nor do I think Obama will write about what he learned that can help to right the floundering US recovery because under his stewardship it is the weakest recovery of the nine post Great Depression recoveries on every significant economic indicator.

- But maybe the CEO of GM (a company Obama bailed out) whom he appointed to head his blue ribbon commission on the economy will write about his experiences with Dear Leader Barry. Maybe he will mention that Obama has not even met with this commission of business and economic recovery experts for the past 18 months and that he is so pissed off with this lazy, narcissistic, utterly failed president that he is now supporting Mitt Romney.

OPINION Updated August 23, 2012, 9:09 p.m. ET Mitt

Romney: What I Learned at Bain Capital

My business experience taught me how to help companies grow—and what to do when trouble arises. When you see a problem, run toward it before the problem gets worse.

The back-to-school season is here, and as parents take their children to shop for school supplies, I suspect that many of them will be visiting a Staples store. I'm very familiar with those stores because Staples is one of many businesses we helped create and expand at Bain Capital, a firm that my colleagues and I built. The firm succeeded by growing and fixing companies.

The lessons I learned over my 15 years at Bain Capital were valuable in helping me turn around the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. They also helped me as governor of Massachusetts to turn a budget deficit into a surplus and reduce our unemployment rate to 4.7%. The lessons from that time would help me as president to fix our economy, create jobs and get things done in Washington.

A broad message emerges from my Bain Capital days: A good idea is not enough for a business to succeed. It requires a talented team, a good business plan and capital to execute it. That was true of companies we helped start, like Staples and the Bright Horizons child-care provider, and several of the struggling companies we helped turn around, like the Brookstone retailer and the contact-lens maker Wesley Jessen.

My presidency would make it easier for entrepreneurs and small businesses to get the investment dollars they need to grow, by reducing and simplifying taxes; replacing Obamacare with real health-care reform that contains costs and improves care; and by stemming the flood of new regulations that are tying small businesses in knots.

My business experience confirmed my belief in empowering people. For example, at Bain Capital we bought Accuride, a company that made truck rims and wheels, because we saw untapped potential there. We instituted performance bonuses for the management team, which had a dramatic impact. The managers made the plants more productive, and the company started growing, adding 300 jobs while Bain was involved. My faith in people, not government, is at the foundation of my plan to strengthen America's middle class.

I also saw firsthand through these investments how energy costs impact the ability of a business to grow. Today, energy costs are weighing on job creators across America because President Obama has limited energy exploration and restricted development in ways that sap economic performance, curtail growth, and kill jobs. I will take a sensible approach to tapping our energy resources, which will both create jobs and make energy more affordable for every sector of our economy.

In the 1990s, when the "old-technology" steel industry in the U.S. was failing, Bain Capital helped build a new steel company, Steel Dynamics, which has grown into one of the largest steel producers in America today, holding its own against Chinese producers. The key to its success? State-of-the-art new technology.

Here are two lessons from the Steel Dynamics story: First, innovation is essential to the competitiveness of U.S. manufacturing. We are the most innovative, entrepreneurial nation in the world. To maintain that lead, we must give people the skills to succeed. My plan for a stronger middle class includes policies to give every family access to great schools and quality teachers, to improve access to higher education, and to attract and retain the best talent from around the world.

The second lesson is that we must have a level playing field in international trade. As president, I will challenge unfair trade practices that are harming American workers.

Running a business also brings lessons in tackling challenges. I was on the board of a medical diagnostic-laboratory company, Damon, when a competitor announced that it had settled with the government over a charge of fraudulent Medicare billing. I and fellow Damon outside board members joined together and immediately hired an independent law firm to examine Damon's own practices.

The investigation revealed a need to make some changes, which we did. The company, along with several other clinical-laboratory companies, ended up being fined for billing practices. And a Damon manager who was responsible for the fraud went to jail. The experience taught me that when you see a problem, run toward it or it will only get worse.

That will be my approach to our federal budget problem. I am committed to capping federal spending below 20% of GDP and reducing nondefense discretionary spending by 5%. This will surely result in much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Washington. But a failure of leadership has created our debt crisis, and ducking responsibility will only cripple the economy and smother opportunity for our children and grandchildren.

I'm not sure Bain Capital could have grown or turned around some of the companies we invested in had we faced today's anti-business environment. Andy Puzder, the chief executive of CKE Restaurants Inc., which employs about 21,000 people at Carl's Jr. and Hardee's restaurants, has said that the "current unfriendly economic environment perhaps best explains why American companies are sitting on over $2 trillion which they could invest."

President Obama has piled on excessive regulations, proposed massive tax increases, added more than $5 trillion in federal debt, and failed to address the coming fiscal cliff—all of which is miring our nation in sluggish growth and high unemployment.

I know what it takes to turn around difficult situations. And I will put that experience to work, to get our economy back on track, create jobs, strengthen the middle class and lay the groundwork for America's increased competitiveness in the world.

Mr. Romney is the Republican Party candidate for president.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Hi Trolly Teddy.

Romney and his crew of merry ****heads, bought companies, diddled the figures, put them back on their feet, then offshored them, putting lots of folks out of work.

Nice guy.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Trolly Teddy.

Romney and his crew of merry ****heads, bought companies, diddled the figures, put them back on their feet, then offshored them, putting lots of folks out of work.

Nice guy.

- Hi Nutter Nuggler ... What you have posted is pure, unadulterated BS and anyone here with a functioning cerebral cortex knows it.
You have no statistics to back this garbage up and you only come across as a lefty tool and fool when you spew the old anti-free trade, anti-capitalist line.

- I provided a lengthy response to your party line palp an hour or so ago but one of the lefty moderators here removed it before it was even posted so I will not bother twice to engage in the hopeless task of enlightening you on how capitalism works or on how highly Romney is regarded among business leaders including Canadian business leaders with whom he has done business.

- Its unfortunate that there are a few Liberal weasels moderating here but this is at least the third post of mine that has been removed while all manner of left wing whining and weasellng and BS is allowed to stand.

- So I am out of here at least until I cool down.

- Now you can talk to yourself and spread your libelous left wing garbage about the most qualified presidential candidate in 75 years while you extol the most unqualified presidential candidate in 75 years who has made a monumental mess of everything he has attempted over the past four years.

- Have fun.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ah, Bain Capital.
Kosman, Josh (2009).
The Buyout of America: How Private Equity Is Destroying Jobs and Killing the American Economy
Kosman describes it as "notorious for its failure to plow profits back into its businesses," being the first large private-equity firm to derive a large fraction of its revenues from corporate dividends and other distributions. The revenue potential of this strategy, which may "starve" a company of capital, was increased by a 1970s court ruling that allowed companies to consider the entire fair-market value of the company, instead of only their "hard assets", in determining how much money was available to pay dividends. In at least some instances, companies acquired by Bain borrowed money in order to increase their dividend payments, ultimately leading to the collapse of what had been financially stable businesses.

So strategies like that would be good for the USA?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Good for the shareholders of Baine Capital anyway. Not much good for the thousands that lost their jobs as a result.
Right. Romney's just another corporatist shill.

I might add that Romney seems to be a bit like our aPAULing Martin. "I'm going to balance the budget, but I won't tell you that will result in shafting the provinces, seniors, students, etc. But the budget will balance". "Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention that even though I wrote the Red Book, it's full of sh|t".

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Ah, Bain Capital.

Kosman, Josh (2009).
The Buyout of America: How Private Equity Is Destroying Jobs and Killing the American Economy
Kosman describes it as "notorious for its failure to plow profits back into its businesses," being the first large private-equity firm to derive a large fraction of its revenues from corporate dividends and other distributions. The revenue potential of this strategy, which may "starve" a company of capital, was increased by a 1970s court ruling that allowed companies to consider the entire fair-market value of the company, instead of only their "hard assets", in determining how much money was available to pay dividends. In at least some instances, companies acquired by Bain borrowed money in order to increase their dividend payments, ultimately leading to the collapse of what had been financially stable businesses.

So strategies like that would be good for the USA?

If these companies were so financially stable, why were they sold. Also, if the employees were so concerned, why didn't they form a coop and buy the company. And finally, once Bain owned the company, whose business was it other than their own, what they did with it?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If these companies were so financially stable, why were they sold.
Probably they were sold after they became financially UNstable.
Also, if the employees were so concerned, why didn't they form a coop and buy the company.
Too expensive? Too far gone? etc.?
And finally, once Bain owned the company, whose business was it other than their own, what they did with it?
.... to extend that, after Bain's corporate aristocrat, Romney, becomes president, what business are his activities of anyone's other than the gov'ts?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
-
You have your chance to be the first- Yes Teddy the very first to ask Mitty for a copy of his birth certificate.

Are you a Birther- Come on fees up- we are all friends here ya know.

Mitt Romney: ‘No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate’ | News | National Post

Mitt Romney waded into murky political territory Friday when he joked “no one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate” — a clear reference to the long-discredited conspiracy theory that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States.

Speaking in front of about 5,000 people at a rally in Commerce, Michigan, the state where his father was once governor, Romney said he and his wife were glad to be home.

“I love being home in this place where Ann and I were raised, where both of us were born . . . no one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate, they know that this is the place that we were born and raised,” he said.

A few laughs are heard after the “birth certificate” comment but the Republican crowd mostly reacts by cheering.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Probably they were sold after they became financially UNstable.

Well that would make sense, but the article seems to say that they became unstable AFTER being acquired by Bain, by over borrowing.

Too expensive? Too far gone? etc.?

So, if the companies were too far gone to be worth buying, who really is responsible for the loss of jobs? Seems they would have gone under Bain or not.

.... to extend that, after Bain's corporate aristocrat, Romney, becomes president, what business are his activities of anyone's other than the gov'ts?

Because a private company and the seat of "we the people" is the same. :)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well that would make sense, but the article seems to say that they became unstable AFTER being acquired by Bain, by over borrowing.
Either way doesn't matter. Companies are bought and sold BOTH when they are stable and unstable.

So, if the companies were too far gone to be worth buying, who really is responsible for the loss of jobs? Seems they would have gone under Bain or not.
Possibly. Dying companies are also bought for tax writeoffs and other such purposes.

Because a private company and the seat of "we the people" is the same. :)
Nope. Gov'ts are owned by all their citizens. Private companies aren't.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Either way doesn't matter. Companies are bought and sold BOTH when they are stable and unstable.

Possibly. Dying companies are also bought for tax writeoffs and other such purposes.

Nope. Gov'ts are owned by all their citizens. Private companies aren't.

There you go. So what is this great evil that Romney and Bain have committed? Sounds to me like they were just doing business, apparently sounds that way to you too.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
- This interesting op ed piece was written by Romney for today's Wall Street Journal.

Well Teddy- You clearly have all the answers. here are some tough ones for you. Please enlighten the peasants.

Here are 3 for ya.

Five myths about Paul Ryan’s budget - The Washington Post

1. Paul Ryan’s budget would reduce the deficit.

The Ryan budget is a Potemkin village: It looks good from afar but is just a facade. The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that the plan would cut the public debt almost in half as a share of the economy by 2040. Sounds good, right?
Take a closer look, and you’ll see that the Ryan budget rests on three pillars that rely on capping and punting — limiting spending to a certain level but providing no specifics on how to achieve that number.

2. The Ryan budget would help the middle class.

Ryan says he would cut tax rates for all families, but that doesn’t mean the middle class would be any better off. Even after the Bush tax cuts, Ryan’s reductions would amount to about $1,000 a year for families with annual incomes between $50,000 and $75,000— compared with a cut of more than $250,000 a year for those with incomes above $1 million.

Ryan says he would pay for these cuts by broadening the tax base, which means scaling back tax breaks. But he is also committed to maintaining low taxes on capital gains, a bigger source of income for wealthier people. Most of the other big tax breaks — such as the mortgage interest deduction, state and local tax deductibility, and pension and health tax benefits — help the middle class.

3. Ryan’s proposal would cut health-care spending by reforming Medicare.

Ryan says his plan would reduce health-care spending by increasing competition, but reality doesn’t remotely match his rhetoric. The CBO analyzed Ryan’s 2011 budget proposal, which would over time move Medicare entirely to private plans, and found that it would significantly increase total health-care spending (that is, spending by the government and Medicare beneficiaries)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Well Teddy- You clearly have all the answers. here are some tough ones for you. Please enlighten the peasants.

Here are 3 for ya.

Five myths about Paul Ryan’s budget - The Washington Post

1. Paul Ryan’s budget would reduce the deficit.

The Ryan budget is a Potemkin village: It looks good from afar but is just a facade. The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that the plan would cut the public debt almost in half as a share of the economy by 2040. Sounds good, right?
Take a closer look, and you’ll see that the Ryan budget rests on three pillars that rely on capping and punting — limiting spending to a certain level but providing no specifics on how to achieve that number.

2. The Ryan budget would help the middle class.

Ryan says he would cut tax rates for all families, but that doesn’t mean the middle class would be any better off. Even after the Bush tax cuts, Ryan’s reductions would amount to about $1,000 a year for families with annual incomes between $50,000 and $75,000— compared with a cut of more than $250,000 a year for those with incomes above $1 million.

Ryan says he would pay for these cuts by broadening the tax base, which means scaling back tax breaks. But he is also committed to maintaining low taxes on capital gains, a bigger source of income for wealthier people. Most of the other big tax breaks — such as the mortgage interest deduction, state and local tax deductibility, and pension and health tax benefits — help the middle class.

3. Ryan’s proposal would cut health-care spending by reforming Medicare.

Ryan says his plan would reduce health-care spending by increasing competition, but reality doesn’t remotely match his rhetoric. The CBO analyzed Ryan’s 2011 budget proposal, which would over time move Medicare entirely to private plans, and found that it would significantly increase total health-care spending (that is, spending by the government and Medicare beneficiaries)
Sounds like the dude has been taking lessons from aPAULing Martin.
Next thing you know, he'll be coming up with his own version of Martin's Red Book.
"The Red Book! Don't tell me about the Red Book. I wrote it and know it's full of crap!"

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Turns out it's a conmplete fiction, the notion that Romney saved Bain all on his own.
The Federal Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney | Politics News | Rolling Stone
In fact, government documents on the bailout obtained by Rolling Stone show that the legend crafted by Romney is basically a lie. The federal records, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal that Romney's initial rescue attempt at Bain & Company was actually a disaster – leaving the firm so financially strapped that it had "no value as a going concern." Even worse, the federal bailout ultimately engineered by Romney screwed the FDIC – the bank insurance system backed by taxpayers – out of at least $10 million. And in an added insult, Romney rewarded top executives at Bain with hefty bonuses at the very moment that he was demanding his handout from the feds.​
But when a campaign says they won't be constrained by things like facts, it shouldn't really be surprising.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
Turns out it's a conmplete fiction, the notion that Romney saved Bain all on his own.
The Federal Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney | Politics News | Rolling Stone
In fact, government documents on the bailout obtained by Rolling Stone show that the legend crafted by Romney is basically a lie. The federal records, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal that Romney's initial rescue attempt at Bain & Company was actually a disaster – leaving the firm so financially strapped that it had "no value as a going concern." Even worse, the federal bailout ultimately engineered by Romney screwed the FDIC – the bank insurance system backed by taxpayers – out of at least $10 million. And in an added insult, Romney rewarded top executives at Bain with hefty bonuses at the very moment that he was demanding his handout from the feds.
But when a campaign says they won't be constrained by things like facts, it shouldn't really be surprising.

- The old question "how can you tell that a politician is lying?" and the answer "because he is moving his lips." has never been more appropriate than in this election year as Obama's Chicago mafia of mugs, thugs and slugs desperately try every dirty trick and dispicable lie in the book to attack an exemplary candidate and deflect attention away from Obama's dreadful record of boondoggling, bumbling, bungling and burglary. The following are the actual facts surrounding the Romney rescue of Bain as verified by three fact checking organizations, two of which are with left leaning media outlets. Since your stomping ground of Charlottetown is rather far removed from high finance although not from governmetn dependency, I suggest you read this slowly and carefully, using your lips and fingers as well, in an effort to understand it.

Bain ‘Bailout’ Baloney
A union president claimed that Romney “asked for a government bailout” for his troubled company. That’s not what happened.
First of all, it wasn’t Romney’s company that was troubled; it was the consulting firm he had left — Bain & Co. — in order to form Bain Capital. And while Romney did negotiate a favorable debt settlement with banking regulators for Bain & Co’s partners, they did not receive taxpayer dollars.
Mary Kay Henry, international president of the Service Employees International Union, made the claim.
Henry: We just learned that when his company found itself in trouble, Mitt Romney asked for a government bailout.
Our fact-checking colleagues at the Washington Post and ABC News vetted similar claims made by Democrats.
Based on their reporting, here’s what happened:
Romney had left Bain & Co. in 1984 to form the spin-off private equity firm Bain Capital. But Romney came back in the early 1990s when Bain & Co. was on the brink of bankruptcy. The company’s founders — Romney wasn’t one of them — had taken $200 million of borrowed money out of the firm for themselves, which led to the firm’s financial problems.
The company owed $38 million to a failed bank, which had been taken over by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, an independent federal agency that insures bank deposits. Romney negotiated with the FDIC a reduction of $10 million in debt, and the FDIC forgave $4 million in interest.
The agreement didn’t amount to a loss for taxpayers. The FDIC is funded by bank insurance premiums and treasury security investments — not congressional appropriations.
In fact, as the Post points out, these kinds of agreements are typical and recover more of the outstanding loan. The FDIC’s own handbook said that restructuring a loan is more productive than spending money on litigation to recover the money.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
- The old question "how can you tell that a politician is lying?" and the answer "because he is moving his lips."
Right. And the same applies to Mittens. So? You want to trade one dipstick for another. That'll sure fix things in the country alright. :rolleyes:
The following are the actual facts surrounding the Romney rescue of Bain as verified by three fact checking organizations, two of which are with left leaning media outlets. Since your stomping ground of Charlottetown is rather far removed from high finance although not from governmetn dependency, I suggest you read this slowly and carefully, using your lips and fingers as well, in an effort to understand it.

Bain ‘Bailout’ Baloney
A union president claimed that Romney “asked for a government bailout” for his troubled company. That’s not what happened.
First of all, it wasn’t Romney’s company that was troubled; it was the consulting firm he had left — Bain & Co. — in order to form Bain Capital. And while Romney did negotiate a favorable debt settlement with banking regulators for Bain & Co’s partners, they did not receive taxpayer dollars.
Mary Kay Henry, international president of the Service Employees International Union, made the claim.
Henry: We just learned that when his company found itself in trouble, Mitt Romney asked for a government bailout.
Our fact-checking colleagues at the Washington Post and ABC News vetted similar claims made by Democrats.
Based on their reporting, here’s what happened:
Romney had left Bain & Co. in 1984 to form the spin-off private equity firm Bain Capital. But Romney came back in the early 1990s when Bain & Co. was on the brink of bankruptcy. The company’s founders — Romney wasn’t one of them — had taken $200 million of borrowed money out of the firm for themselves, which led to the firm’s financial problems.
The company owed $38 million to a failed bank, which had been taken over by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, an independent federal agency that insures bank deposits. Romney negotiated with the FDIC a reduction of $10 million in debt, and the FDIC forgave $4 million in interest.
The agreement didn’t amount to a loss for taxpayers. The FDIC is funded by bank insurance premiums and treasury security investments — not congressional appropriations.
In fact, as the Post points out, these kinds of agreements are typical and recover more of the outstanding loan. The FDIC’s own handbook said that restructuring a loan is more productive than spending money on litigation to recover the money.
Irrelevant. The fact is that a country is not a company and should not be treated or managed like one.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He did destroy American companies for pure profit. He is interested in business for business
patriotism and the interests of American workers be damned. Even if that is not entirely true,
it no longer matters people believe its true. They are going to turn on the entire business
community the way they have become cynical of politicians, judges and police and rightfully
so. America was the industrial engine and free enterprise corporations, decided to dismantle
the complex send it to China and make hideous profits. Now the band leader of that
orchestra Mitt Romney or as the British Press call him (Mitt the Twit) is trying to sound like he
is a concerned American. Well the bugger was part of the problem but now he wants a favor
make me your leader and I will bring prosperity. If the American people trust this guy I hope
they are wearing rags and living in the time of Charles Dickens four years from now.
The man is a verbal spewing of human misery, content to have a billionaire ruling class and
the servants humbly in their place, scratching for crumbs that fall off the table of tickle down.
Who cares what Romney learned? He was right in there on the greed train until he decided
he wanted to enter public life. There is a sad fact in the end, People don't like him an
essential ingredient to getting elected.
It matters not, the real secret to winning an election is this "make sure the people hate them
more than they hate you" Simple as that.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I want Romney to win just to see this place go SH** HOUSE!

Really... I just want to see these place go absolutely NUTS!