Obama defends Biden on 'chains' remark but then...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Oh wait, now Joe is a distraction. Maybe Palin was right. ;-)

WASHINGTON – President Obama defended Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday against criticism of his remarks that Republican repeal of Wall Street regulations would put voters "back in chains."

Obama also brushed off Sarah Palin's suggestion on Fox News that he drop Biden from the ticket in favor of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Palin, the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee and a Fox News contributor, had said Biden's comments are the latest example of how he "really drags down that ticket."

Obama defends Biden on 'chains' remark, dismisses Palin's Clinton suggestion | Fox News

CBS Uniquely Notes Racial Tinge of Biden's 'Chains' Gaffe | NewsBusters.org

In Reversal, Obama Says Biden 'Chains' 'Phrasing Is A 'Distraction' - Joe Biden - Fox Nation

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
And now...

Jesse Jackson’s Daughter Hits Biden For Race Baiting “Chains” Remarks, “I Found Them Profoundly Insulting”…

Even her super-hack dad couldn’t bring himself to defend Plugs.
Via GWP:
“I found these remarks to be profoundly insulting. It’s one thing to become familial. It’s another thing to become familiar. And familiarity breeds contempt. And, this is very very close to being contemptuous. These remarks were insulting. Not only does he need to dial them back, he needs to apologize.”

Jesse Jackson’s Daughter Hits Biden For Race Baiting “Chains” Remarks, “I Found Them Profoundly Insulting”… | Weasel Zippers

Jesse Jackson: Joe Biden uproar ‘not helpful’

Jesse Jackson: Joe Biden uproar ?not helpful? - Katie Glueck - POLITICO.com

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Biden is the biggest dope of a VP ever. The US libbies talk about Palin and they have this guy running the show.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Let me see - If all the R&R cuts to the programs for the low income, elderly, slashing Medicare go thru- would being poor not be similar to having chains upon you. Shackled is the term I understand he wanted to use- But Joe does screw up.

But nothing like R&R with their dance of 700 Billion from Medicare - that Obama moved from Medicare to health care and that Obama should not have done this- robbing from Medicare according to R&R- Yet Ryan's plan states that it would not be restored and health care gone-Oh look we found 700 Billion. Right

Easy to balance a budget- which they have not set date on that- when all the cuts are focused on the poor-

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
What else can he do? Those words are out there forever. But Joe is great on stage as an "Open Mouth Insert Foot" actor. He doesn't even let us see his foot move up.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Biden is the biggest dope of a VP ever. The US libbies talk about Palin and they have this guy running the show.

Id agree with that. I was surprised that Obama picked him in '08 and am even more surprised that he's keeping him on this year. Should something happen to Obama and Biden becomes President - well, it'd either be scary or really entertaining. He reminds me a bit of my grandmother who has dimentia. Randomly saying things that make no sense without realizing it.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
As an old guy I recognize what Joe Biden is going through. It's called cognitive decline. When the brain isn't firing on all cylinders one becomes at best eccentric and at worst dangerous depending on what one is doing. Biden shouldn't be allowed any where near the Oval Office.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
As an old guy I recognize what Joe Biden is going through. It's called cognitive decline. When the brain isn't firing on all cylinders one becomes at best eccentric and at worst dangerous depending on what one is doing. Biden shouldn't be allowed any where near the Oval Office.

Agreed. Though apparently Reagan was starting to go downhill in that department in his second term. Plus there were the huge physical problems JFK had that nobody knew about at the time. If I were American Id be a bit worried about having a President who was going downhill mentally or required a ton of medication to stay functioning.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Id agree with that. I was surprised that Obama picked him in '08 and am even more surprised that he's keeping him on this year. Should something happen to Obama and Biden becomes President - well, it'd either be scary or really entertaining. He reminds me a bit of my grandmother who has dimentia. Randomly saying things that make no sense without realizing it.

And he... like many politicians, thinks he's smarter than the rest of us.

Easy to balance a budget- which they have not set date on that- when all the cuts are focused on the poor-

The thing about the poor is that not working and going on welfare is becoming a career choice. I am all for people helping the ones that are completely helpless and in dire need for assistance. However the more and more I see the abuses and what the so called poor recieve the more skeptical I become. At least here in Massachusetts, those on welfare are entitled just as much as a middle class family and do not need to work for it. Sure they dont get as much as a wealthy family but they get plenty and its all free.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Name the last great vp.......?

Lyndon Johnson. Though in a way JFK should get the credit for having picked him. A VP should be looked at as a potential president as at any moment something could happen leading to them taking office.

Though if you're talking about VPs who never became President I have no idea who would be considered great.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
LBJ the great vote stealer.....he was okay, passed many of kennedys social ideas but vietnem was really his baby and that was a fail.

Id agree with that. Both he and Nixon had decent domestic policies but were disasters on foreign policy. Well, with the acception of Nixon going to China.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Mitt Romney – a man whose own father built cars and nurtured communities, and was one of the old-school industrial anachronisms pushed aside by the new generation's wealth grab – has emerged now to sell this make-nothing, take-everything, screw-everyone ethos to the world. He's Gordon Gekko, but a new and improved version, with better PR – and a bigger goal. A takeover artist all his life, Romney is now trying to take over America itself. And if his own history is any guide, we'll all end up paying for the acquisition.

Romney and Bain avoided the hostile approach, preferring to secure the cooperation of their takeover targets by buying off a company's management with lucrative bonuses. Once management is on board, the rest is just math. So if the target company is worth $500 million, Bain might put down $20 million of its own cash, then borrow $350 million from an investment bank to take over a controlling stake.

But here's the catch. When Bain borrows all of that money from the bank, it's the target company that ends up on the hook for all of the debt.

Now your troubled firm – let's say you make tricycles in Alabama – has been taken over by a bunch of slick Wall Street dudes who kicked in as little as five percent as a down payment. So in addition to whatever problems you had before, Tricycle Inc. now owes Goldman or Citigroup $350 million. With all that new debt service to pay, the company's bottom line is suddenly untenable: You almost have to start firing people immediately just to get your costs down to a manageable level.

"That interest," says Lynn Turner, former chief accountant of the Securities and Exchange Commission, "just sucks the profit out of the company."

Fortunately, the geniuses at Bain who now run the place are there to help tell you whom to fire. And for the service it performs cutting your company's costs to help you pay off the massive debt that it, Bain, saddled your company with in the first place, Bain naturally charges a management fee, typically millions of dollars a year. So Tricycle Inc. now has two gigantic new burdens it never had before Bain Capital stepped into the picture: tens of millions in annual debt service, and millions more in "management fees." Since the initial acquisition of Tricycle Inc. was probably greased by promising the company's upper management lucrative bonuses, all that pain inevitably comes out of just one place: the benefits and payroll of the hourly workforce.

Once all that debt is added, one of two things can happen. The company can fire workers and slash benefits to pay off all its new obligations to Goldman Sachs and Bain, leaving it ripe to be resold by Bain at a huge profit. Or it can go bankrupt – this happens after about seven percent of all private equity buyouts – leaving behind one or more shuttered factory towns. Either way, Bain wins. By power-sucking cash value from even the most rapidly dying firms, private equity raiders like Bain almost always get their cash out before a target goes belly up.

This business model wasn't really "helping," of course – and it wasn't new. Fans of mob movies will recognize what's known as the "bust-out," in which a gangster takes over a restaurant or sporting goods store and then monetizes his investment by running up giant debts on the company's credit line. (Think Paulie buying all those cases of Cutty Sark in Goodfellas.) When the note comes due, the mobster simply torches the restaurant and collects the insurance money. Reduced to their most basic level, the leveraged buyouts engineered by Romney followed exactly the same business model. "It's the bust-out," one Wall Street trader says with a laugh. "That's all it is."

Take a typical Bain transaction involving an Indiana-based company called American Pad and Paper. Bain bought Ampad in 1992 for just $5 million, financing the rest of the deal with borrowed cash. Within three years, Ampad was paying $60 million in annual debt payments, plus an additional $7 million in management fees. A year later, Bain led Ampad to go public, cashed out about $50 million in stock for itself and its investors, charged the firm $2 million for arranging the IPO and pocketed another $5 million in "management" fees. Ampad wound up going bankrupt, and hundreds of workers lost their jobs, but Bain and Romney weren't crying: They'd made more than $100 million on a $5 million investment.

Read more: http://www.rollingst...9#ixzz251OR4x1x

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Mandatory - Obama for America TV Ad - YouTube

We're workers at Bain Capital-owned Sensata, 2520 Walnut St, Freeport, Illinois. We're fighting to save our jobs from being shipped to China by the end of this year. We are calling on Mitt Romney to come to Freeport, IL and we will camp across the street from our plant for as long as it takes!

Greetings from Bainport, Illinois - Page 1 of 19

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
- Locutus ... Don't be too hard on 'Joltin Joe' Biden, the Mister .05% of charitable contributions with his own money.

- After all, Biden has apparently decided to defect to the GOP and campaign for Romney. How else can we interpret his remarks of just yesterday that "the middle class has been buried for the past four years"?