Obama gay marriage stance puts new pressure on Romney

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The first African-American president has now become the only sitting president ever to support same-sex marriage. It is a bold, historic move by Barack Obama, and has yet-undetermined political implications.

"I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," the president said yesterday in an interview with ABC News anchor Robin Roberts. "I had hesitated on gay marriage, in part, because I thought that civil unions would be sufficient. I was sensitive to the fact that, for a lot of people, the word marriage invoked very powerful traditions and religious beliefs."

The president went further to explain how his Christian faith informed this decision. "The thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it's also the golden rule: treat others the way you would want to be treated. And I think that's what we try to impart to our kids, and that's what motivates me as president."

theGrio: Romney counters notion he bullied gay classmates

source: Obama gay marriage stance puts new pressure on Romney

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Neat trap. Obama has finally found an issue that clearly differentiates himself from Romney. The immediate result seems to have been an immediate infusion of cash into Obama's war chest. Let's hope that the long term result will be the death of this non-issue.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Obama also stated that this is also a generational divide on rights.
Anecdotally I'd say thats probably true for both same sex marriage and the drug issue. Unfortunately both here and there the young dont vote in large numbers.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Can anyone say, " President Obama, another 4 years " I think this does it for him.. seriously.

As far as those gays and lesbians who claim to support the Republicans? That’s like zebras campaigning for lions.

Most people in America are for equality for all races, sexual preferences, religion, and most Republicans are bible thumping anti-Gay anti-Immigration Assholes. If they could only divide the Republican party into two factions and dump the Assholes, and be pro-Business and pro-American pro-Reaganism, the republican party may have a chance.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually America is a nation that has to ask itself if it will continue to condone marginalizing
one group in society. I often wonder why it is that so many people use the marriage is a
partnership between a man and a woman and anything different threatens the institution of
marriage. Is marriage as a term in that much trouble? Personally I don't give a damn who is
married to who. All this is nonsense to have people focus on silly issues while the issues of
substance go wanting. America has to reclaim it position in the world as an economic power
house. America has to be the symbol of freedom and freedom of choice. How can it do that
while it insists on discriminating on one group or another.
Democrats and Republicans alike have been too heavily influenced by religious groups and
other special interests instead of concentrating on doing the right thing. In fact, that is why
they are in the mess they are in. And yes its a generational divide most of the young people
could care less about this silly stuff. Obama took a deep breath and got it over with. Romney
is going to be under pressure. He could well have to decide whether he wants the evangelicals
at the expense of younger people and the broad middle class.
The other silly situation is Christians have doubts because Romney is a Mormon. Now the
Mormon has to decide whether he wants to do the right thing or cater to Christian Evangelicals.
It could be a no win situation for him. I just wish both would start talking about things that
matter. Next we are going to hear "The president wore a blue suit, with powder blue shirt
and red tie to the news conference today" When that happens we know for the free world its
over.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Credibility... lost.

Whose credibility? What damngrumpy said is true. We have a Canadian poster here who has said no less than that exactly.
Glenn Beck is correct about a lot of things, it just really grinds my gears that he's Mormon. His religion is an embarrassment.
Mitt Romney is a horrible candidate for the GOP. Take your Mormon cult and shove it Romney!

And this exchange:
You are against Romney because he is Mormon?

It's been covered and reported on too:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/us/26iht-letter26.html?pagewanted=all

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Credibility... lost.

Can you really see the evangelical crowd voting for a non-Christian? They don't seem like the type. I don't mean Christians in general, I'm talking about the big evangelical ones. They're a big force in the Republican party, or they appear to be.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
What pressure? This is the final nail in the Bamster's administration's coffin. There have been numerous votes in the US dealing with this issue and each time the pro-homosexual marriage side has decidedly lost, the most recent one being held on this past Tuesday in NC.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What pressure? This is the final nail in the Bamster's administration's coffin. There have been numerous votes in the US dealing with this issue and each time the pro-homosexual marriage side has decidedly lost, the most recent one being held on this past Tuesday in NC.

Really - How are the repubs on making the poor pay a disproportionate share of the fiscal pain that is needed.

Everyone has to pay a share - But the Tea Baggers want to ream the middle class and the poor more so.

The disparity between have and have not is increasing in most western countries. Has been for decades.

The Tbaggers are not in any way willing to work towards a solution - It is their way or the highway - And that is why the US system of govt is completely screwed.
Cut programs for the poor - Medicaid - leave the tax deductions for the rich.

Bash those that are not into some completely conservative - evangelical model.

And like Romney stated - I like firing people -

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Corporations are allowed to merge and these are called corporate marriages. Shouldn't people have the same rights as corporations?

And the same penalties as humans. I'd be interested in seeing a corporation executed.