Denialgate, because every scandal needs a gate...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Documents reveal Koch-funded group's plot to undermine climate science - CSMonitor.com
Heartland burned by 'DenialGate' memos - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

Someone calling themselves "Heartland Insider" has leaked internal documents from the Heartland Institute, who were one of many climate denying think tanks to yell fire in the crowded theater when the emails from CRU were stolen.

Irony now that their documents have been leaked, they are threatening legal action.

The worst of the documents, which includes the organizations budget information as well as fundraising and strategy plans, is their plans to develop a K-12 curriculum. In their own words:
Principals and teachers are heavily biased toward the alarmist perspective. To counter this we are
considering launching an effort to develop alternative materials for K-12 classrooms. We are
pursuing a proposal from Dr. David Wojick to produce a global warming curriculum for K-12
schools. Dr. Wojick is a consultant with the Office of Scientific and Technical Information at the
U.S. Department of Energy in the area of information and communication science. His effort will
focus on providing curriculum that shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and
uncertain - two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science.
I'm sure there will be more denial to follow, I guess science is the bias...:lol:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Can't tell the students the truth, otherwise they might not be scared.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Documents reveal Koch-funded group's plot to undermine climate science - CSMonitor.com
Heartland burned by 'DenialGate' memos - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

Someone calling themselves "Heartland Insider" has leaked internal documents from the Heartland Institute, who were one of many climate denying think tanks to yell fire in the crowded theater when the emails from CRU were stolen.

Irony now that their documents have been leaked, they are threatening legal action.

The worst of the documents, which includes the organizations budget information as well as fundraising and strategy plans, is their plans to develop a K-12 curriculum. In their own words:
Principals and teachers are heavily biased toward the alarmist perspective. To counter this we are
considering launching an effort to develop alternative materials for K-12 classrooms. We are
pursuing a proposal from Dr. David Wojick to produce a global warming curriculum for K-12
schools. Dr. Wojick is a consultant with the Office of Scientific and Technical Information at the
U.S. Department of Energy in the area of information and communication science. His effort will
focus on providing curriculum that shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and
uncertain - two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science.
I'm sure there will be more denial to follow, I guess science is the bias...:lol:

Jeeeez I suppose next thing, they'll be trying to teach creationism in science classes again. Unreal.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Jeeeez I suppose next thing, they'll be trying to teach creationism in science classes again. Unreal.

Pretty sad when the goal of a think tank is to get science out of the classrooms. I use the term think tank loosely. Would be better called spin doctors for hire. Quite the market out there for those services!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Watch this do as I say not as I do from Heartland.

In their response to this scandal, they say:
The individuals who have commented so far on these documents did not wait for Heartland to confirm or deny the authenticity of the documents. We believe their actions constitute civil and possibly criminal offenses for which we plan to pursue charges and collect payment for damages, including damages to our reputation. We ask them in particular to immediately remove these documents and all statements about them from the blogs, Web sites, and publications, and to publish retractions.

How did this happen? The stolen documents were obtained by an unknown person who fraudulently assumed the identity of a Heartland board member and persuaded a staff member here to “re-send” board materials to a new email address. Identity theft and computer fraud are criminal offenses subject to imprisonment. We intend to find this person and see him or her put in prison for these crimes.
Yet in 2009, they had no qualms or hesitation whatsoever in reading and publishing emails that were stolen from CRU servers:
The release of these documents creates an opportunity for reporters, academics, politicians, and others who relied on the IPCC to form their opinions about global warming to stop and reconsider their position. The experts they trusted and quoted in the past have been caught red-handed plotting to conceal data, hide temperature trends that contradict their predictions, and keep critics from appearing in peer-reviewed journals. This is new and real evidence that they should examine and then comment on publicly.
Pathetic whining.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No big surprise that groups like the Koch Brothers have intentionally attempted to distort scientific evidence. That has been the pattern every time a major industry has been accused of creating any sort of problem. Cases in point; the tobacco industry which first of all denied any link to smoking and cancer and then went on the offensive by hiring its own "scientific experts" to provide counter-evidence. Ditto for the pesticide manufacturers when Rachel Carson write Silent Spring. Ditto for the automobile industry when Ralph Nader wrote "Unsafe at Any Speed; and ditto for the oil industry when studies were released showing a link between air pollution and automobile exhaust. The first instinct for any industry seems first to deny any wrong-doing and then to follow it up by lying about it. The Koch Brothers and the rest of the anti-global warming crowd are simply following a well-established pattern of industrial behaviour.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How is the drought coming along in your neck of the Prairies? What are the odds it will be blamed on polar bear haters?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How is the drought coming along in your neck of the Prairies?

It's been up and down here... A fair amount of snow early, then warmed-up/dried-out for a couple of weeks. 2 days ago, got 3-4 inches of wet snow, now it's melting off.

The aquifers will get some benefit from it.

How about you?

What are the odds it will be blamed on polar bear haters?

Of course. As long as Coke can make a dollar off the gullible, they'll beat that drum forever.