Memories of Hanoi Jane

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
If those images of her could just be rubbed away never to appear again it would be fine. But seeing Hanoi Jane her sitting in that anti aircraft in Hanoi is just to much of a reminder of the traitor she his and how many Americans die as result of her propaganda attacks against us. I cannot forgive her.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The difference being, the majority of the Soldiers sent to Vietnam didn't have a choice.

Jane did.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if she ever feels remorse for sitting in the Hanoi Hilton with food on the table urging POW's to sign an admission of guilt.

Or if she thinks about how her Father felt looking into the eyes of his best friend Jimmy Stewart who lost his stepson (1st Lt. Ronald McClean) in Vietnam.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I wonder if she ever feels remorse for sitting in the Hanoi Hilton with food on the table urging POW's to sign an admission of guilt.

Or if she thinks about how her Father felt looking into the eyes of his best friend Jimmy Stewart who lost his stepson (1st Lt. Ronald McClean) in Vietnam.

Far too self centered to think of things like that. Like our terrorist apologists on here.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg

No need to wonder, retired_Can_Soldier.

Her ilk has no soul, no sense of honour, no conscience, no integrity, no patriotism, no honesty.

She should get together with Ron Reagan, the ballet dancer, for obvious reasons.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm sure that she feels the same way about her acts of treason that many others did - justifies it in her own mind, for whatever reason.

People always justify their own actions, that's human nature.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
She did make a partial apology for posing with the anti aircraft gun. Here's a piece I found on the Internet. She an old broad now!!
-------
Fonda made it quite clear that she was apologizing only for posing for photographs while seated at a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, and even then her "apology" was couched in the most oblique terms possible (i.e., she didn't address the people she harmed and say she was sorry for hurting them; she only issued the self-confessional statement that she "regretted" one of her actions):
2000: "I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an anti-aircraft carrier, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is another way to look at the VietNam war. South VietNam was a corrupt regime
that was supported by the Americans. North VietNam simply wanted the Americans out
of their country. North Viet Nam, Laos and Cambodia never attacked America but American
bombing killed close to four million civilians in those countries. Over sixty thousand
Americans lost their lives in that stupid war that gained no ground or achieved any advantage.
Jane Fonda could see what the rest of the world could see and did her best to protest against
that tragic, dopey war.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
that tragic, dopey war.
Not having followed this war that closely or the politics of it at the time, at a distance tho, it did seem like a dopy war.

I think the American intentions were good, but like so many of their other wars, it seemed a war was not the best solution to a problem.
Just my take!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
There is another way to look at the VietNam war. South VietNam was a corrupt regime
that was supported by the Americans. North VietNam simply wanted the Americans out
of their country. North Viet Nam, Laos and Cambodia never attacked America but American
bombing killed close to four million civilians in those countries. Over sixty thousand
Americans lost their lives in that stupid war that gained no ground or achieved any advantage.
Jane Fonda could see what the rest of the world could see and did her best to protest against
that tragic, dopey war.

Absolutely.

And Jane Fonda had every right to say so....to organize marches, give speeches, run for election......to exert whatever democratic political pressure she could against the administration.

What she did NOT have the right to do was travel to a place engaged in military operations against her own nation and provide aid and comfort to the enemy, to provide them with a propaganda blitz, and to encourage troops under torture to submit and provide the enemy with even more of a propaganda blitz.....to say nothing of the famous AA gun pic....wow.

What she did was treason, pure and simple.

Hanging would not have been an injustice.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Propaganda: their lies.

Public information: our lies.

People did what they thought necessary to end that insane war. If Jane deserves hanging then so do those who perpetrated it and who profited from it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

People did what they thought necessary to end that insane war. If Jane deserves hanging then so do those who perpetrated it and who profited from it.

Not so.

Not when you live in a democracy........I would have much much less of an ethical problem with Jane had she gone to the North, renounced her US citizenship, and stayed to fight on in whatever capacity she (or they) found most effective.......

But Nooooooo, she went there, undermined the democratic will of the population as expressed through their government, made the situation of the men fighting for survival on HER behalf worse, then retreated back to her cushy position of freedom, privilege and luxury in the United States.

Outrageous!!!!

Much the same as some of the scum in our own society that do whatever they can to promote the causes of our enemies, while luxuriating in the freedom that our enemies seek to destroy. Absolutely outrageous.....but even they aren't traveling to Afghanistan to offer aid and comfort to the Taliban.........because they have neither the influence (who cares?) nor the balls.

It is long past, but a public hanging for Jane would not have been injustice.

The warriors were only doing what the polity required of them.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

So in that instant where do you draw the line?

As Colpy said, she could have marched on Washington. Those boys in the Hanoi Hilton were American Citizens, many American soldiers were in fact drafted and when taken as prisoners were often beaten, starved and tortured. I would hazard a guess that the bulk of them just wanted to go home and get on with their lives rather than fight in a war, but they really did not have a choice. Then along comes this Hollywood silver spoon in the mouth tw_t who sits across from them and tells them how they perpetrated crimes against North Vietnam.

Food sitting on the table while she urges them to sign an admission of war crime.

She is disgusting.

She should have been jailed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So in that instant where do you draw the line?

As Colpy said, she could have marched on Washington. Those boys in the Hanoi Hilton were American Citizens, many American soldiers were in fact drafted and when taken as prisoners were often beaten, starved and tortured. I would hazard a guess that the bulk of them just wanted to go home and get on with their lives rather than fight in a war, but they really did not have a choice. Then along comes this Hollywood silver spoon in the mouth tw_t who sits across from them and tells them how they perpetrated crimes against North Vietnam.

Food sitting on the table while she urges them to sign an admission of war crime.

She is disgusting.

She should have been jailed.

Kinda like prisoners at Gitmo and the secret torture chambers of the US military and CIA in Eastern Europe?

How come it is OK for the US to torture prisoners but not the enemy?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Then perhaps you'll pack up your stuff, head on down, and execute her.

Not my place.....besides it seems some of her actions have been.....overstated.....in the completely understandable outpouring of hatred for her.

snopes.com: Jane Fonda and POWs

She still should have been severely punished.

Kinda like prisoners at Gitmo and the secret torture chambers of the US military and CIA in Eastern Europe?

How come it is OK for the US to torture prisoners but not the enemy?

Funny thing though.......on exposure those places closed down.....Jane conspired to hide the mistreatment of US POWS, and denied it even after their release.

The difference between us and them......and yes, it is significant.