South California the 51st State.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Finally some real California residents are speaking up. I fully support South California as the 51st State.

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) — Thirteen mostly conservative California counties would break away to create a 51st state known as South California under a proposal by a local elected official.
Republican Jeff Stone has asked fellow members of the Riverside County Board of Supervisors to support a motion to bring together officials from the 13 counties to discuss the idea. A vote is scheduled for Tuesday.
Stone says California is too big to govern, which has led the state to raid local government coffers because of runaway spending.
Stone's version of South California would not include Los Angeles County. Instead, it would encompass coastal Orange and San Diego counties, and inland Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Riverside, San Bernardino and Tulare counties. It would have a part-time Legislature and no term limits.

Local official seeks to split California - Yahoo! News

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I'm a Californian and I'm all for it. Chop the state off at the Tehachapi's and let the 34% Welfare Collecting south have their own gig. They can buy their water from us up here. Maybe this would put an end to the North paying for the South's unending quest for water. It would also lighten the welfare costs burden we now have in common with them. Oh, they can have Willie Brown and Angela Davis too!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm a Californian and I'm all for it. Chop the state off at the Tehachapi's and let the 34% Welfare Collecting south have their own gig. They can buy their water from us up here. Maybe this would put an end to the North paying for the South's unending quest for water. It would also lighten the welfare costs burden we now have in common with them. Oh, they can have Willie Brown and Angela Davis too!
The Reconquistas must be sugaring their churros over this.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Finally some real California residents are speaking up. I fully support South California as the 51st State.

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) — Thirteen mostly conservative California counties would break away to create a 51st state known as South California under a proposal by a local elected official.
Republican Jeff Stone has asked fellow members of the Riverside County Board of Supervisors to support a motion to bring together officials from the 13 counties to discuss the idea. A vote is scheduled for Tuesday.
Stone says California is too big to govern, which has led the state to raid local government coffers because of runaway spending.
Stone's version of South California would not include Los Angeles County. Instead, it would encompass coastal Orange and San Diego counties, and inland Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Riverside, San Bernardino and Tulare counties. It would have a part-time Legislature and no term limits.

Local official seeks to split California - Yahoo! News

Too big to govern or too big for Arnold to govern? :lol:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Why not? After all 51 law-making bodies is just not enough. And then those dissatisfied with the new 51st state could split off from that to form state number 52, and 53, and 54 ....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Texas could easily be divided up into another 4. May as well make it Freedom 55.

Texas grows kick ass grapefruit.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
This kind of thing has been proposed, over and over again, for the last 100 plus years. It has absolutely no chance of being enacted.

Texas came into the Union with the provision that it could divide itself into up to 5 states. They do NOT need to get anyone's approval to do that, they can simply divide themselves. But, nobody wants to do that.

I would love to see California split, but it ain't going to happen. The ultra left would NEVER allow this to happen, they would lose way too much revenue.

California is way too big to govern. It has effectively the entire population of Canada, in about 1/50th the space. The Democrats have spent and spent and spent, they have allowed sweetheart Union contracts with all kinds of state employees, they have the highest overall taxes in the country and they are flat out broke. They are driving business and industry out of the state, they are slowly killing tourism, and they can't see what they are doing.

San Francisco and several other cities allow illegal aliens to vote in elections. Then, they wonder why they are in trouble.

I lived in California, off and on, for over 50 years (a total of 44 out of those 53 years), and I saw it turn from one of the best places in the US to live, into one of the worst. I would no longer even consider living there.

Any state where a line prison guard takes home more money that the Governor, is in real trouble. In California, over 50 line prison guards did exactly that.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Heck the island of Martha's Vinyard off Massachusetts wanted to become another country... as did Vermont.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As long as the price of oranges stays reaonable, yup, okay.
We could still get oranges from Florida, petros. Honestly, I could never get my head around growing anything in desert conditions especially with the shortage of water.

The Democrats have spent and spent and spent, they have allowed sweetheart Union contracts with all kinds of state employees, they have the highest overall taxes in the country and they are flat out broke. They are driving business and industry out of the state, they are slowly killing tourism, and they can't see what they are doing.

Sheesh, sounds just like BC when the NDP under Glen Clark were in power. :lol: Glen Clark soon saw the error of his ways once we kicked him out of power - he joined the 'darkside' and is now a happy capitalist.

The Vatican is doing all right.

Well of course it is - thanks to the money that Catholics keep sending.

I think Washington state and Oregon should break away from the Union and join us - from what I know of their politics they would probably feel right at home here in Canada. ;-)

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
California is way too big to govern. It has effectively the entire population of Canada, in about 1/50th the space.

Wouldn't that argument mean that Germany with about three times the population of California or Japan with about four times the population would be even more impossible to govern? Last I looked both nations seemed to be doing reasonably well.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Wouldn't that argument mean that Germany with about three times the population of California or Japan with about four times the population would be even more impossible to govern? Last I looked both nations seemed to be doing reasonably well.

They are not California with a government no one takes responsibility for. It want on the road to bankrupcy when its citizens voted. (2002) Prop 1A that actually made it more difficult for future governors and legislatures to enact budgets that meet California's needs and address state priorities. Then lets not forget good old Prop. 1B

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
They are not California with a government no one takes responsibility for. It want on the road to bankrupcy when its citizens voted. (2002) Prop 1A that actually made it more difficult for future governors and legislatures to enact budgets that meet California's needs and address state priorities. Then lets not forget good old Prop. 1B

I'm not familiar with the two propositions you mention, but I am familiar with Prop 13 which was passed in 1978 and which was the first step in crippling the ability of local governments to maintain an equitable tax base. For a state as rich as California to be struggling for funds is a disgrace to the state, just as the inability of the US government to deal intelligently with its fiscal problems is a national disgrace. No wonder the Chinese are so rapidly overtaking the US. Sadly, Americans have no one to blame but themselves - after all it is they who have elected an entire generation of useless governments.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
California split into two states would ensure two more Democrats in the Senate. Of course, seeing Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein probably not even Democrats would be in favour of that.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I'm not familiar with the two propositions you mention, but I am familiar with Prop 13 which was passed in 1978 and which was the first step in crippling the ability of local governments to maintain an equitable tax base. For a state as rich as California to be struggling for funds is a disgrace to the state, just as the inability of the US government to deal intelligently with its fiscal problems is a national disgrace. No wonder the Chinese are so rapidly overtaking the US. Sadly, Americans have no one to blame but themselves - after all it is they who have elected an entire generation of useless governments.

They have many propositions and all have crippled the state, your right there is no reason that a state with California's resources should be in the position they are.