What's the Difference Between Frodo and Gollum?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So no cocks crowing n such. Can't compare.
I think you missed the context of the conversation. I'm not saying Gollum is basically Judas, I'm saying their ultimate fates beyond death were similar despite the "evil" they committed because they were "fated" to commit those acts. They needed to do what they did in order for humanity to be saved, and in the case of LoTR, to also flourish.

Reactions: petros

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
If you recollect the book, in the end Frodo did the same thing Gollum did: claimed the ring as his own.

Gollum got a lava bath, Frodo was celebrated and revered as a hero and went to eternal bliss in the closest thing Tolkein's world had to heaven.

What's fair about that?
Similar to Judas and Peter. Both betrayed Christ, however one felt remorse and self-destructed (Matt 27), while the other repented and was reinstated (John 21). People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Similar to Judas and Peter. Both betrayed Christ, however one felt remorse and self-destructed (Matt 27), while the other repented and was reinstated (John 21). People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).
Well, that message of "no remorse" seems to have been followed by many of Peter's spiritual (or at least organizational) descendents.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Well, that message of "no remorse" seems to have been followed by many of Peter's spiritual (or at least organizational) descendents.
In Paul’s record, a distinction is made between worldly (deathly) remorse, and repentant (salvific) remorse. “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death” (2 Cor 7:10). Who can judge? Only God.