Playstation still down, time for users to migrate?

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Playstation still down, time for users to migrate?
Posted via Canadian Content

As you have probably already heard, Sony has experienced many attacks on its Playstation Network, including the theft of over 77 million (recently reported as higher) credit card records. Many asked why they were hacked.

Read More

Last edited by a moderator:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Not impressed, Sony! Though since my system is jailbroken, I wouldn't even be able to get online if I wanted to, but my CC details are still stored on your hacked system.

Arteus

May 7, 2011
Sony, what are you doing? I understand you are a victim here, but this is bull****. You do not give us updates, and when you do they are very inaccurate. I'm not one of those losers without a life who will switch to Xbox just because PSN has been down for two weeks. The Plastation 3 system is superior to Xbox, and I will remain faithful towards the PS3, but you really need to get sorted out, Sony.

lottabud

May 7, 2011
i get that its taking so long because stuff like this can not be expected to be donw over night. but we are lyal cunsumers to mislead and lie to all of us is pretty disrespectful..i'm not impressed and if we see another article that says wednesday and then end of the week but with the same results i will show my respect by moving to another console with more security and better customer service

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
They won't migrate. Sony fans are like the conservatives of the videogame world.

shoaib

May 7, 2011
guys i think so we should be with sony because everyone has a bad time in there life so we should not show our back we should be with them and make them more comfortable. thats how they will work properly and will find a solution that will never be hacked . so me and all my friends are with sony PS3 . take your time to find a best solution

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What I find disrespectful is that they decided to wait until after their announcement of their latest device. It makes it appear that they were more interested in getting more people to buy stuff from them rather than let their customers know what had happened.

Thank goodness this didn't affect me at all.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
PS3 show no sign of selling less then usual, proving again that Any publicity is good publicity.

Here is my source From VGChartz

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If I could play GT5 on a different console I would change. I also like watching my blue-rays so I'm kinda stuck with it. I only ever use pre-paid cards online so they can have all the CC data they want from my account, they gotta top it up to use it, and if they do top it up I get a notification so I might beat them to the punch on spending it, LOL.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
guys i think so we should be with sony because everyone has a bad time in there life so we should not show our back we should be with them and make them more comfortable. thats how they will work properly and will find a solution that will never be hacked . so me and all my friends are with sony PS3 . take your time to find a best solution

Stop treating corporations like people.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
This is why I stuck to the Wii & DSi XL..... not that they're hack-proof.... but there's no serious data for anybody to hack & take, that and unlike some other consoles, you don't have to pay every month just to play games online, let alone use the internet on them, which all uses an internet connection you already paid for.

The PS3 burned me with it's self-glorified price for their systems with limited innovation (until recently when they tried to rip off the Wii).... the XBox 360 burned me with it's still higher price then the Wii, and how you have to keep paying extra for a number of its online features/games..... and only recently did it too decide to rip off the Wii and attempt to get into their market.

So I bought a Wii and later I bought a DSi XL. I haven't been disappointed in either of them and what I pay for is what I get, rather then pay for something I end up having to keep paying for just to play...... or have some database hacked & have my information stolen.

Making your customers keep paying for something they already paid for, and having your database hacked & have your customer's personal details stolen is not what I would call innovation.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I think after almost 3 weeks offline they finally have it back up now.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have a sour taste in my mouth from my 360 days so I won't be migrating to a different platform. Although, I rarely game online so this outage isn't the end of the world for me. I'm concerned about my personal info being passed around by sleazebags, Sony, in all their wisdom failed to encrypt the database tables and they hadn't patched their application servers to the latest updates, brilliant.

This is why I stuck to the Wii & DSi XL..... not that they're hack-proof.... but there's no serious data for anybody to hack & take, that and unlike some other consoles, you don't have to pay every month just to play games online, let alone use the internet on them, which all uses an internet connection you already paid for.

The PS3 burned me with it's self-glorified price for their systems with limited innovation (until recently when they tried to rip off the Wii).... the XBox 360 burned me with it's still higher price then the Wii, and how you have to keep paying extra for a number of its online features/games..... and only recently did it too decide to rip off the Wii and attempt to get into their market.

So I bought a Wii and later I bought a DSi XL. I haven't been disappointed in either of them and what I pay for is what I get, rather then pay for something I end up having to keep paying for just to play...... or have some database hacked & have my information stolen.

Making your customers keep paying for something they already paid for, and having your database hacked & have your customer's personal details stolen is not what I would call innovation.

Praxius, not that the Wii isn't a good system (it is) but it's an apples to oranges comparison between the two, both the PS3 and 360 have significantly more powerful hardware which comes at a price.

What are you talking about with "keep paying for something you already paid for"? PSN costs nothing unless you're dumb enough to subscribe to PSN plus.

Lastly, the online functionality of the Wii is horrible, no arguing that from any sane person.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well it is "functional" lol

Yeah, in a 1990's sort of fashion, at least you can get the weather though. ;)

Online has never been a selling point with the Wii though. Wii is a console that's actually fun to be played with groups of people, especially when their is booze involved. I love the Donkey Kong game

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
True, although my fav. game of last year was Goldeneye and the online was actually pretty good!

I'm hoping they'll be able to ramp up their network infrastructure for the next console.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Praxius, not that the Wii isn't a good system (it is) but it's an apples to oranges comparison between the two, both the PS3 and 360 have significantly more powerful hardware which comes at a price.

I'm well aware of their hardware superiority, but as shown from the first few years the Wii was released and on sale, innovation, low cost & variety played into Nintendo's hands, as the Wii was the #1 best selling console for a couple of years straight, and well above the XBox or PS3's sales brackets.

Sure the PS3 & XBox brought powerful systems, with powerful graphics capabilities..... but they were still stuck behind in the times with revolving around the same controller configuration that's been around since the mid/late 80's..... so in a nut shell, you were just playing the same console as the PS2 or XBox, but with better graphics. The PS3 moved up with the Blueray player from their DVD player & the Xbox 360 brought in better online gameplay capability..... but it was still all the same as their previous consoles.

Yes, one used to be able to argue the Apples & Oranges comparisons between the Wii & the PS3 & Xbox 360..... until the 360 & PS3 decided to take a page out of Nintendo's book and try and get into the physical activity area the Wii broke into and what made the Wii unique. Right around that time, we began to see the sales of the other consoles start to catch up.

What are you talking about with "keep paying for something you already paid for"? PSN costs nothing unless you're dumb enough to subscribe to PSN plus.

Well I was mainly focusing on the Xbox with that comment, but even if the PSN is free, it doesn't sound very secure from what we've been hearing in the last couple of weeks, and I'd still prefer the Wii's network/internet capabilities.

Lastly, the online functionality of the Wii is horrible, no arguing that from any sane person.

That depends on what you want to do with the online functionality.

I can browse the net, I can check my email, I can watch YouTube, I can plug a keyboard & mouse into the back of the Wii and use those to navigate & type rather then pointing at keys on a screen, all the Nintendo games that are multiplayer/online work just fine online, I can download Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Commodore 64, Atari, Neo Geo and a bunch of other games directly from Nintendo for peanuts straight onto my Wii..... while you can get emulators & roms for the other consoles illegally, this is legit, and Nintendo took the time to actually test and make sure those games work with the controllers, there's no key configurations required, no glitches, and they also supply instruction manuals to the games to view at anytime.

Not to mention one can hack their Wii or DSi as well as any of the other consoles.... my DSi XL is currently hacked and I can do a bunch with it. The DSi's online capabilities certainly are crap, and I hope they're improved on the 3DS, but for the most part, the Wii's web browser works just fine. I would have preferred a browser other then Opera, but thems the breaks.

To each their own.... if you like the PS3 or 360, for whatever reasons, all the power to you.... I'm just stating why I prefer the Wii & DSi XL.

Until the 360 & PS3 started getting into the motion/action aspect of what the Wii was doing already, I saw no point in buying either console since I get all their capabilities & more from my PC which has many of the games these two consoles have (well... the games I'm interested in anyways)

True, although my fav. game of last year was Goldeneye and the online was actually pretty good!

I'm hoping they'll be able to ramp up their network infrastructure for the next console.

They've already mentioned they'll have a playable version of their next console at the E3 in June:

New Nintendo console system confirmed with release date window. Wii 2?
New Nintendo console system confirmed with release date window. Wii 2? | Entertainment | Metrowny.com

A business letter went out to the press, telling us that indeed, E3 2011 is where Nintendo will unveil its next console system and a few details regarding it. Following that, Nintendo wrote that potential earnings for the next system are not included in the financial forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2012.

That second statement, put into laymen’s terms means that the system won’t be releasing until after March 2012. Nintendo wouldn’t just shrug its shoulders about how much money it thinks the new system would make because it needs to state real numbers to investors. So, the new system definitely won’t be released before March 2012.

The best news: the system will be playable at this year’s E3, June 7-9. This means some games must be partially ready and there will be plenty of impressions on how the new controller works and the system’s current level of performance. I’m looking forward to finding out if the system really does house more power than a PS3 or Xbox 360, and if that means anything for the games right now.

Nintendo started off the note by updating us that over 86 million Wii’s have been sold world wide. That’s an amount that causes me to take a deep breath. Despite the lackluster system that it is, those numbers are a testament to just how large the gaming market is and how many people want affordable gaming.

The Wii is still the cheapest home system, and provides different levels of gameplay appealing to broader audiences. While the second part is no longer exclusive to Nintendo (as in Motion Controllers are everywhere), perhaps if Xbox 360 and PS3 can get their prices down to $200 by this holiday, they might catch up before the Nintendo makes their next move.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm well aware of their hardware superiority, but as shown from the first few years the Wii was released and on sale, innovation, low cost & variety played into Nintendo's hands, as the Wii was the #1 best selling console for a couple of years straight, and well above the XBox or PS3's sales brackets.

Still, it's apples to oranges, you can't directly compare any game or the systems as they are fundamentally different. The only two companies competing are Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo more or less created a new market for them selves. Their next-gen console coming out next year is something I am excited about, it will be high def and that's basically a requirement these days. So, I'll likely be picking one up.

Also, not everyone who purchases a PS3 does so for the games, my self included.

I primarily use my PS3 for media streaming.

From my desktop pc I have a handy program called PS3 media server which allows me to stream any of the 600+ movies I have to the PS3, from 480i to 1080p, it can handle just about anything. That alone makes it worth my while as I don't need to have a noisy computer sitting next to my tv.

Like I said, different beasts

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
PS3 show no sign of selling less then usual, proving again that Any publicity is good publicity.

Here is my source From VGChartz

People may still buy the PS3 system, but there will probably be a dip in the customers that use the PSN itself.