Shaw boosting Internet speeds

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Shaw boosting Internet speeds
Posted via Canadian Content

Western-Canadian giant Shaw has promised to boost speeds for its basic cable-based high-speed Internet service.

This comes with the growing demand for high-speed packages which consume bandwidth from a range of online services, mostly video, like Netflix, Youtube and online gaming.

"It's an exciting time at Shaw as we begin to create a world-class Internet product, giving our customers the ultimate experience in connectivity and entertainment," said the company president in a press release.

"The Shaw Extreme speed upgrade is just the first spark of a whole new world of entertainment and offerings to come."

The mid-priced "Extreme" will increase download rates from 15 Megabits-per-second to around 25Mbit. Upload rates will also see an increase from 1Mbit to 2.5Mbit.

Customers will automatically be upgraded over the next month with no additional charges.

The increases are surely welcome, but how many users will see themselves going over the proposed bitcap which made waves across the country last month? Shaw is still consulting with its customers on that. As it stands, the limit for downloading remains at 100GB per month.

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/shaw-boosting-internet-speeds_1066.html

Bovine

Apr 21, 2011
100 gb cap on a 25MB plan is a joke. 53 hours of downloading at your max rates before shaw sticks you with an over usage bill.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Oh man, first Netflix and now Rogers. This is their version of damage control before consumers get slammed with the caps.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The main ISP's make a killing off their 'usage' charges and not to mention they can protect their own legacy TV offerings at the same time. a 25 Megabit connection should have a minimum of 250GB transfer per month. Canada and its Internet offerings are a joke.

JFlindall

Apr 21, 2011
25 Mb/second works out to 187.5 MB/min (1).
100 GB equals 102400 MB. (2)
102400/187.5 = 546.3 minutes, or 9.1 hours.

Good work, boys. Hope nobody thinks to bust out a calculator during your sales pitch.

sources:
1 http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp?speed=25.000&unit=Mbps
2 http://www.csgnetwork.com/memconv.html

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'd like to know the fu ck you guys are doing to go over a 100 gig per month cap. I have one teen that spends literally hours playing games across xbox live, along with 2 teens watching netflix every night, plus my wife using netflix during the day for her daycare kids plus the 4 of us online with normal facebook, browsing, and youtube. Last month, 60gig total and I have had extreme for ages. Ever since it came available, and we have NEVER gone over the 100 gig.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
..... to go over a 100 gig per month cap.
A youtube 1 hr long documentary @249 resolution is about 100mb, another vid in HQ from Noav's public site would be 700mb for the same length. To stay within the 3bg/day average (to stay under 100gb.30 days) youtube downloading would be easy even if you watched 24/7. 4 hrs @hd is the same size.

No one site would allow that full download speed, downloading from 10 sites might allow that. Whith extreme and their 'burst' feature means watching a youtube vid has it buffered in about 10 minutes and then I am off their site for the rest of the vid (freeing them up to serve others)

With a cap in place I would suggest a monitor, in your case Ger it would have to be counted at your router, which is where mine is (a re-flashed Linksys) as it serves more than one computer. Having a record of the daily download size will be handly if I get a notice that I am over the limit.

I notice a show that can be downloaded in mp4 format is about 1/3 of the size and avi file of the same show.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'd like to know the fu ck you guys are doing to go over a 100 gig per month cap. I have one teen that spends literally hours playing games across xbox live, along with 2 teens watching netflix every night, plus my wife using netflix during the day for her daycare kids plus the 4 of us online with normal facebook, browsing, and youtube. Last month, 60gig total and I have had extreme for ages. Ever since it came available, and we have NEVER gone over the 100 gig.

Gerry, let me see.

HD streaming (netflix, ctv.ca, cbc.ca etc)
Gaming
VPN
Torrents

Just because you don't use that sort of bandwidth, doesn't mean other people don't. Online video is becoming more and more of a challenger to traditional TV broadcasts and what the ISP's are doing right now is basically trying to make that model unfordable to the masses via insane usage based billing charged. Think a couple years ahead instead of the now.

Here's my bandwidth consumption for the last few months

Billing Period
Total Usage (GB)
Usage Allowance (GB)
Additional Usage (GB)
Usage Charge
Mar 9/11 - Apr 8/11 63 125 0 $0.00
Feb 9/11 - Mar 8/11 90 125 0 $0.00
Jan 9/11 - Feb 8/11 103 125 0 $0.00
Dec 9/10 - Jan 8/11 127 125 2 $2.50
Nov 9/10 - Dec 8/10 132 125 7 $8.75
Oct 9/10 - Nov 8/10 112 125 0 $0.00

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Gerry, let me see.

HD streaming (netflix, ctv.ca, cbc.ca etc)
Gaming
VPN
Torrents

Just because you don't use that sort of bandwidth, doesn't mean other people don't. Online video is becoming more and more of a challenger to traditional TV broadcasts and what the ISP's are doing right now is basically trying to make that model unfordable to the masses via insane usage based billing charged. Think a couple years ahead instead of the now.
We were thinking of getting NetFlix Durka, are you saying that that could cost me more in usage fees? I thought streaming didn't matter?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We were thinking of getting NetFlix Durka, are you saying that that could cost me more in usage fees? I thought streaming didn't matter?

It only costs you if you go over your usage cap. You would need to check the package you subscribe to, I would suggest you have a minimum of 60GB/m if you plan to go the Netflix route

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It only costs you if you go over your usage cap. You would need to check the package you subscribe to, I would suggest you have a minimum of 60GB/m if you plan to go the Netflix route
So even streaming counts, damn, Rogers is a bunch of crooks man.

shinigamidono

Apr 30, 2011
No additional charge? why is my bill $5 higher this month then? so full of crap. wth am I going to do with a 25Mbit connection with a 100gb/month cap. I'll tell you what.. I am going to call you near the end of my billing period.. cancel my account that nets you $130/month in all.. call Telus and get their tv package for much less.. then i'll call teksavvy and get their internet for $5 less that has the exact same speed (25Mbit down 2.5Mbit up) with unlimited usage.. then what I am going to do is prints 100 copies of teksavvy's offerings, take them to work and hand them out to all of my co-workers and advise them to all do what I did unless they enjoy being ripped off by a bunch of greedy gangsters that rob people blind in broad daylight. sound good? okay then. i'll do that.

VenomousFlower

May 3, 2011
Leduc
Buying digital copies of video games from online stores like Steam can eat up your allowance as well. A couple new games get released in a month plus regular usage like netflix can easily set you over 60Gb.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Buying digital copies of video games from online stores like Steam can eat up your allowance as well. A couple new games get released in a month plus regular usage like netflix can easily set you over 60Gb.

Yeah, steam can kill your data usage quick, especially if you have recently formatted your computer and need to download your library again, I know if I download every game I have purchased from Steam, it eats up about 70gb in data