Walmart Leads the Way with Green Tech

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I never thought I would praise Walmart for anything other than an incredible talent for making money and destroying competition, but it seems the US giant is showing the way by introducing green technology in its Balzac, Alberta distribution centre. Not only does this show that businesses can incorpororate green tech into their operations, but it is doing it in a province that is generally regarded as being hostile to any form of energy efficiency.

Walmart opens sustainable hub

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Does that mean that Walmart will stop selling toxic plastic baby bottles and water bottles, or is that legislation not yet in place?

Alberta is in favour of LEED ... always has been in favour of sustainable built environments. Walmart is a LEED building, like the Alberta Children's Hospital.

It is not true that Alberta is "hostile to any form of energy efficiency". It is true that Alberta's energy exploration exploits the environment while benefiting the country, and some confuse that exploitation as hostility towards energy efficiency.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Does that mean that Walmart will stop selling toxic plastic baby bottles and water bottles, or is that legislation not yet in place?

Alberta is in favour of LEED ... always has been in favour of sustainable built environments. Walmart is a LEED building, like the Alberta Children's Hospital.

It is not true that Alberta is "hostile to any form of energy efficiency". It is true that Alberta's energy exploration exploits the environment while benefiting the country, and some confuse that exploitation as hostility towards energy efficiency.

I doubt very much that Walmart will stop selling anything it usually carries on its shelves. I just thought it was rather surprising that a company not normally connected with the environment would actually build an energy efficient distribution centre.

I hope you did not think that I stated that "Alberta is hostile to any form of energy efficiency." If you read my post again and take note of the "generally regarded" in front of that phrase.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
Wal Mart just before the nice lady I know who worked forever retirement package with them she thought her hours were cut back then her hubby was ill. ooops gotta read all the fine print in spanish on those for what medical you are thinking you are going to have help with later on Wal mart employees. Not fan of employee treatment behind the scenes. Raises are given only if you go ask. After 14 years one lady was making less than the new hire greeters. Did they not fund campaign money to Hillary's campaign again and Obama at the same time? That was part of the Wal Mart greeting chant employees in the morning yes we can. Meh just wondering.