I want to get a cellphone

kirk2bc

Aug 1, 2010
So recently I'm thinking about getting a cellphone, but i have to keep the budget at the lowest point. I'm thinking about a zero-dollar phone+a less-than-20-dollar plan. Any suggestions?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe....but that depends on whether or not some other helpful new member
pops out's nowhere to post links to SPAM for some Cell Phone Company or
not.....tag-team style....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I recently went to Koodo. Runs on Telus towers but I don't know what involvement Telus has in the operation. Had it less than a month so I can't tell how good it is yet.
Anyway they do not make you sign a contract and have several different plans. You purchase your phone with a small payment attached to your monthly bill.If you want to change your provider you just pay whatever is left owing on your phone and go.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh great. Another person who will soon be near sighted and able to crack walnuts with their oversized texting thumbs who can't drive.

Reactions: Bcool

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
So recently I'm thinking about getting a cellphone, but i have to keep the budget at the lowest point. I'm thinking about a zero-dollar phone+a less-than-20-dollar plan. Any suggestions?

First, get yourself a phone for the best price you can.(Walmart? ) Then get onto Telus pay as you go plan. This will get you a cell phone that you can use for emergency or important calls for something around ten to twenty dollars a month if you use it sensibly.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
First, get yourself a phone for the best price you can.(Walmart? ) Then get onto Telus pay as you go plan. This will get you a cell phone that you can use for emergency or important calls for something around ten to twenty dollars a month if you use it sensibly.

yes, juan that is exactly what I did, didn't buy my phone at walmart, bought it from telus,
but maybe I would have saved money if I did buy it from walmart, or such.

I pay about 20 dollars a month, 3 free calls a month, and I only have it for emmergencies, and my
3 free calls per mo., but hardly even use those.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
welcome to 1996!

What is your comment Chiliagon? How would you have answered?

yes, juan that is exactly what I did, didn't buy my phone at walmart, bought it from telus,
but maybe I would have saved money if I did buy it from walmart, or such.

I pay about 20 dollars a month, 3 free calls a month, and I only have it for emmergencies, and my
3 free calls per mo., but hardly even use those.

The person wanted the cheapest cell phone. I think Walmart sell a phone that is just about disposable. I don't know if we
can get a phone with a set number of minutes on it like in Europe, and when you've used all the minutes, you throw it away.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta

The person wanted the cheapest cell phone. I think Walmart sell a phone that is just about disposable. I don't know if we
can get a phone with a set number of minutes on it like in Europe, and when you've used all the minutes, you throw it away.

I think he's gonna soon want more and more and more.

if he believes that all he'll do is use it as a phone, he's totally fooling nobody!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think he's gonna soon want more and more and more.

if he believes that all he'll do is use it as a phone, he's totally fooling nobody!

You think, but you don't know. My wife and I both have a cell phone with a pay as you go
plan from Telus. We can save the minutes we don't use and put them in the bank so to speak.
Right now I have about 350 minutes that I probably won't use. I don't drive and yak on the cell
phone if I can avoid it.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
that's good. I hardly ever talk on it! I use mostly for communiating with friends by text or BBM, and I get email updates! why do I need to use up precious minutes when I can text for unlimited amts?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
that's good. I hardly ever talk on it! I use mostly for communiating with friends by text or BBM, and I get email updates! why do I need to use up precious minutes when I can text for unlimited amts?

Great! :roll: Texting is worse than talking. ICBC should charge texters more for their car insurance.

wise_wan

Sep 3, 2010
you can to buy "made in china"phone.
the cellphone you can get the best price and the best performance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, pay and talk $11.20 a month paid in advance, perfect for short messages, texting and emergencies. You can arrange automatic monthly top up with your credit card.

Great! :roll: Texting is worse than talking. ICBC should charge texters more for their car insurance.

Even if they do their texting away from their vehicle? :lol::lol:

And create more toxic trash.......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Yeppers! (We used our Rogers cell phones on which the %@&!! three year rip-off contracts had finally ended - they didn't like that. Heh!) Husband bought the 1 year $100.00 prepaid cards: by-the-minute, all day/night, every day, 25 cents for the first 5 minutes, 15 cents after, no monthly fees of any kind. Considering I used my cell phone for less than an hour in total for the term of the whole three year contract, I doubt I'll get my monies worth but my husband will for both of us. LOL