How good is Toronto in comparision with top american cities ?

Chrishme

Jun 22, 2010
I am planning to immigrate to Canada and live in Toronto. I have heard Toronto is not that exciting place to live and work in comparision to top american cities like NY, chicago or SF. Just wanted to get your opinion.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Where are you from? If you are from a big city and don't know any different, I would say Montreal is one of the most dynamic cities in Canada. But then, I am from there and would never live in a city again if my life depended on it. I left Montreal 40 years ago to live in the forest. Once you know what that is like you would never go back either - dirty, stinky, crowded, polluted, noisy, stressful, expensive.... but, for reasons beyond my comprehension, most people like them or don't know any better. Oh well, no accounting for taste, eh!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I am planning to immigrate to Canada and live in Toronto. I have heard Toronto is not that exciting place to live and work in comparision to top american cities like NY, chicago or SF. Just wanted to get your opinion.

Toronto may not be as exciting or as dynamic as San Francisco or New York, but it is one of the best big cities to live in North America. Compared to New York or San Francisco, crime rate is low, murder rate is a fraction of what you will find in any big American city.

A few miles north of Toronto and you are in the wild country, Algonquin Provincial Park is but two hours away. While it may be backwoods compared to New York, it has all kind of cultural and entertainment activities you will find in New York (opera, ballet etc.) if perhaps on a smaller scale.

I don’t live in Toronto, and it is not my first choice to live. But if you want to live in a big city, you can’t do much better than Toronto.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Why would you want to live in a big city? In my opinion Nakusp or Cherryville would be better choices...............................although job opportunities may not be quite as good.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Just came back from a week's vacation there and I actually liked it.... a bit confusing to get around at times, but the public transit system is pretty solid. Buses, trams and subways.... and usually they all run very frequently in that usually as soon as you make it to the stop, a bus, tram or subway is arriving within a couple of minutes.

There is certainly a lot to do and see in Toronto and surrounding area, lots of diversity in regards to culture, shops, places to go etc.

Growing up I never cared much for Toronto, and the second time I visited Toronto (The first time I was old enough to remember anything) I didn't enjoy myself, but that's mainly because I wasn't there to relax, but drove from Nova Scotia to pick up my brother and drive him back.... so there wasn't much sight seeing and my energy/patience levels were zero after driving 22 or so hours there.

But this time around I had more time to see the city and if I wasn't moving elsewhere soon, I could see myself living there..... although perhaps not right down town or anything.... probably I'd check out the North York area to live since that's where we stayed.

Toronto?

You could do worse :cool: and I think things improved since 1997 (the last time I was there)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That's a first lol. Can't say I recall anyone naming North York as their preferred Toronto destination. :smile:

There is nothing wrong with North York, I have lived there for five months (I was doing a course in Computer Programming and System Analysis). It is a pleasant enough area.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
There is nothing wrong with North York, I have lived there for five months (I was doing a course in Computer Programming and System Analysis). It is a pleasant enough area.

I never said their necessarily anything wrong with it, it's not most peoples first destination when they come to Toronto though.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Just came back from a week's vacation there and I actually liked it.... a bit confusing to get around at times, but the public transit system is pretty solid. Buses, trams and subways.... and usually they all run very frequently in that usually as soon as you make it to the stop, a bus, tram or subway is arriving within a couple of minutes.

There is certainly a lot to do and see in Toronto and surrounding area, lots of diversity in regards to culture, shops, places to go etc.

Growing up I never cared much for Toronto, and the second time I visited Toronto (The first time I was old enough to remember anything) I didn't enjoy myself, but that's mainly because I wasn't there to relax, but drove from Nova Scotia to pick up my brother and drive him back.... so there wasn't much sight seeing and my energy/patience levels were zero after driving 22 or so hours there.

But this time around I had more time to see the city and if I wasn't moving elsewhere soon, I could see myself living there..... although perhaps not right down town or anything.... probably I'd check out the North York area to live since that's where we stayed.

Toronto?

You could do worse :cool: and I think things improved since 1997 (the last time I was there)

Waaaa?8O

Transit is top notch?

You haven't been around much have you?

Public transit in Toronto and for that matter Canada is pure crud when compared to other systems around the world.

Toronto is a city with no soul and devoid of originality.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've never been to Toronto but from what I've heard about it I have no plans to go there anytime soon. Montreal at least has a little character (if you can survive crossing the street. :lol::lol::lol:)

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
That may be your opinion, but that is not the general opinion. Toronto and Montreal compare very favorably indeed with other big cities in the world by any survey you care to look at.

It's not the general opinion?

I assume you have proof.

Montreal has a soul so of course it is comparable with other great cities.

I've never been to Toronto but from what I've heard about it I have no plans to go there anytime soon. Montreal at least has a little character (if you can survive crossing the street. :lol::lol::lol:)

I live 25 minutes from Toronto and I go to Montreal way more often....so much so I bought a condo there years ago with some friends.;-)

numbnuts

May 29, 2010
Oz
Waaaa?8O

Transit is top notch?

Public transit in Toronto and for that matter Canada is pure crud when compared to other systems around the world.

And this from someone who lives in the armpit of southern Ontario??? LOL

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Waaaa?8O

Transit is top notch?

I've been around enough, and compared to the Halifax Transit System.... it's a hell of a lot better.

All that's here are buses and a ferry that travels from Dartmouth to Halifax and back. You can't get everywhere in the HRM on the Transit system, certain buses only run for so long each day and then stop, while other buses only run on weekdays, thus you're stuck getting one transfer after the other and sometimes tripling the time it takes you to get to where you're going..... and with the exception of maybe one or two bus routes, you're lucky if a bus comes every half hour during rush hours, where the average bus route any other time is once every hour.

My wife and I took the TTC most of the time we were up there, and to be honest, yes, their transit system is a hell of a lot better and I personally can't think of anything I could complain about.... perhaps some of the seats could have been softer, but that's nit picking.

Well I personally don't care about other transit systems in the world. I am giving my personal experience on what I know, rather then parroting reports and studies given by someone else whom I can not confirm their information is true.

Typical stereo-typical-troll response.... the same kind of crap I hear about the Maritimes being welfare provinces, the Prairies being flat, boring and full of cowboys, Montreal full of snotty language police who'll beat you with clubs if you spit on their shiny sidewalks, shall I continue?

Point being: Generalized Stereo-Types tell a person nothing expect about the person giving the stereo-type.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I take Toronto Transit everyday and it's pretty damn reliable, I take the Yonge Subway from Dundas to York Mills and except for people jumping in front of trains, it's good.

Where people may have a problem with Toronto transit is when they are trying to get to far reaches of the city where the subway doesn't run to or there isn't streetcar routes.

Now, Avro. Care to chime in on how great the public transit system is in Durham Region? It's crap, you are more or less forced to own a car so you can get stuck on the 401 and DVP every day.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It's not the general opinion?

I assume you have proof.

As I said before, look at almost any survey of big cities and Toronto (and Montreal) does very well indeed. Here is a typical survey:

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

This survey put Toronto no. 15 in the world in 2009, no. 16 in 2010 (out of a total of 221 big cities). Montreal ranks no, 22, still a respectable showing. Vancouver and Ottawa beat them both though.

Canadian cities do very well indeed when compared with the big cities in the world.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Well I personally don't care about other transit systems in the world. I am giving my personal experience on what I know, rather then parroting reports and studies given by someone else whom I can not confirm their information is true.

I'm not talking about studies, I have been fortuanate enough to travel to many places and I can assure your our transit system sucks donkey balls.

The GO train or Slow train! Are you fricking kidding me? What an embarressment.:roll:

Typical stereo-typical-troll response.... the same kind of crap I hear about the Maritimes being welfare provinces, the Prairies being flat, boring and full of cowboys, Montreal full of snotty language police who'll beat you with clubs if you spit on their shiny sidewalks, shall I continue?

Nope, I just don't think it's very nice, nothing to do with being a troll.

Point being: Generalized Stereo-Types tell a person nothing expect about the person giving the stereo-type

No, it tells you I've been to better cities.

It's like when lefties who go to Cuba and tout that the people there are very poor but happy. They are happy because they have never been anywhere else to know the difference.

I wouldn't live in Toronto any day. I'd rather live in Vancouver! Ocean beaches, mountains, that's a city!

Toronto is just monotone.

Vancouver is very nice, Victoria even better.:canada:

Now, Avro. Care to chime in on how great the public transit system is in Durham Region? It's crap, you are more or less forced to own a car so you can get stuck on the 401 and DVP every day.

I think if you look back you'll see I said transit in Canada is crud....guess where durham is?

And this from someone who lives in the armpit of southern Ontario??? LOL

I also have a residence in South River on Eagle Lake and own a condo in Montreal with a few other chaps.

Oshawa is where I work and my kids go to school.....and the south end is the armpit of Ontario....can't argue with that.