The Cannibalization of Youtube

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Cannibalization of Youtube

I went on Youtube and saw what Google has done with the web site and it was depressing.

There is banner advertising everywhere even on the video screen.

The amount of ads on the site is taking the enjoyment out of going on to youtube.

Now advertising is a revenue for the website but in youtube’s case I would say it is overkill.

The CRTC in Canada and the FCC in America has limits on how many ads you can show in an hour in Canada it is 17 minutes an hour and America it is 15 minutes an hour.

It’s too bad that rules for advertisements can’t be extended major internet sites especially the major web sites that get more than a couple of million hits a day.

I was listening to an interview on one of the stations and it was stated that more people are starting to go back to TV watching as opposed to the Internet.

The person also said that people are getting away from watching programs on an appointment bases which means they tune in whenever the programs are on instead people are watching programs when they have the time which means video on demand or recording programs.

The commercialization of the Internet is on the move where more professional companies are producing content because the majority of people want to see it that way.

Like the music video progression from groups playing in a band to three to four minute movies, the developing Internet is going through the same.

One day you will have to have program development smarts to play the game or you will be left in the dust.

There will always be amateur web sites but as the fees to have web sites go up they will disappear as well.

The Internet was developed for communication between research projects and because of Windows the computer became simple to operate and since people wanted to communicate the Internet became the vehicle to do it.

Even though a lot of people don’t like regulations they do make it enjoyable by the user.

If major corporations don’t cut down their advertising on their web sites then the Internet will be abandoned and used by fewer people.

A perfect example is the citizen band radio, turn it on and see what’s on the forty or so channels

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Do you have any idea of the bandwidth costs associated with running a site like youtube?

The internet has been commercialized for about, lets see, 15 years now. If I had to choose between professional content and stupid LOL cats on youtube, I'll take the former.

Also, ad's are easily ignored or suppressed if you have the slightest bit of tech knowledge.

Applying CRTC style rules to major sites is more or less impossible since the majority of content we view is not hosted in Canada and not to mention that would be just another example of 'government know best' interfering with our lives.