LogMeIn

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm just trying out this remote access thing call LogMeIn. The trial's free. I wanted stuff from the desktop at home to give daughter for her pc. Work's like a charm. Thought I'd see if I could log in from here through our home pc and it worked. Going to see if I can mess around with my cousin's computer next. *evil grin*

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?hp=5

Reactions: In Between Man

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have used remote systems but not via web controls like the one you linked. Previously, I have used TightVNC which is an applet that runs on the PC you want to control then you access it via the PC's IP address. It's quite simple to setup and use. I have also used SSH and other terminal clients when I only need access to a command line.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I guess no-one else has tried these remote access doodads.

I don't trust them. They strike me as a prime way to give some third party full access to your computer. And considering some of the media I have on my comp, I'm paranoid. lol.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't trust them. They strike me as a prime way to give some third party full access to your computer. And considering some of the media I have on my comp, I'm paranoid. lol.

That's why you don't use 3'rd parties. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's why you don't use 3'rd parties. :smile:

I will readily admit Durka that much of what you say about comps goes whooshing by over my head at lightning speed. Whether these can access your info, or I'm just paranoid they can, is no more clear from what you said earlier, or your smile here, than it was before I typed my post. lol.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I will readily admit Durka that much of what you say about comps goes whooshing by over my head at lightning speed. Whether these can access your info, or I'm just paranoid they can, is no more clear from what you said earlier, or your smile here, than it was before I typed my post. lol.

I can trust some personal data with 3'rd parties, but these "logmein" sites, you are basically routing everything through them when you are connected.

I am far too paranoid to trust my star wars erotica with some faceless tech company. :smile:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Oh really? Ummmmmm...I have this neat little program for you to install, takes no memory at all....you won't even notice it on your puter....trust me.:evil2:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can trust some personal data with 3'rd parties, but these "logmein" sites, you are basically routing everything through them when you are connected.

I am far too paranoid to trust my star wars erotica with some faceless tech company. :smile:

Okay, so I'm not nuts. And how did you get all those pics of me anyway? That gold bikini was just for my hubby. And the storm trooper bit was just a lark ya know. :angry3:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Okay, so I'm not nuts. And how did you get all those pics of me anyway? That gold bikini was just for my hubby. And the storm trooper bit was just a lark ya know. :angry3:

lmao! I'll forward you pics of my wookie costumer some time. :p

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Oh really? Ummmmmm...I have this neat little program for you to install, takes no memory at all....you won't even notice it on your puter....trust me.:evil2:

Just so long as you share your findings, Gerry...

Er....for research purposes only, of course.