Self serve check outs

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Do you like and/or use the self serve check outs available to you in places like Home Depot, Canadian Tire and for those who live in BC - The Overwaitea Food Group. If you do - you are taking away someone's job. These check-outs have been installed in the store I am employed at. I was there yesterday and I too used the check-out as I wanted to see how they work as I do go back to work tomorrow. They are really quite sofisticated tills. They do require cashier assistance but - one or if necessary, two cashiers stand nearby to assist the shopper. Normally I would have entered the store at that time of day to about 6 bustling cashiers. It is obvious the customers are not particularly fond of them. I was taken back when I first drove onto the parking lot. Normally quite full of cars, it was nearly empty. It did begin to fill up as I was nearing the end of my shopping. I was surprized that an older gent wanted to try out the new tills. He only had two items and even though I wasn't working and he did not know I was in the employ of the store, I assisted him with his purchase until the cashier was able to come to his assistance at "pay time" -something I would not have assisted him with simply because I am employed there and was not officially working at the time. I think curiosity will take people with a couple of items through the tills but even young people admit they enjoy the idea of customer service and unless they were in a major hurry with only one or two items they would avoid the self serve. What I want you to know is this important piece of information. I have alreay stated that normally I would walk in and see 6 cashiers working by mid morning. What I saw with the new tills was one cashier at a regular till and one helping at the self serve tills. One senior cashier was returning groceries to the shelves (people change their mind and these things must be returned and it's our job to do it). Now as some of the larger orders started to go through, she was called to cash but only 4 cashiers were working - not 6 as usual. Down 2 people. Hours have been cut which means serving yourself is putting people out of work and possibly, on the street. Two of the stores I have mentioned here are union environments. I am higher in senority then many of the cashiers at the store. My going back to work tomorrow will not impact them because I cannot go on till yet. But - when I do, which probably won't be long, it will have an impact on every person below me. Generally I work 32 hours a week by my choice. If I choose to change that back to 40 it would really impact people simply because of the SELF SERVE CHECK-OUTS. They seem to only require about 4 cashiers which means that while I could end up (and probably will) working later in the day for them to give me my hours, but I will get them leaving those below me with maybe 8 - 12 hours per week. That means they will have to search for more than one place to work because people cannot live on 8 - 12 hours per week. While wages are improving, we do not have a "living wage" now so by using the self serve you are putting people on welfare or EI and when that's all used up and it will be with the economy the way it is right now, you are putting them on the streets. Really think about that everytime you use the selfserve. That includes cleaning up your own table at the fast food chains.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Well said! I do not use them as they are taking away jobs from the very people who need them in tough economic times. And, I politely tell those using them why I don't. Perhaps I'm a pain in the arse?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If you are concerned about unemployment, don't use self-serve cashiers. It's a simple act that can mean a lot to another person!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I rarely use them (have, on occaision I admit), because it's simply another way for the stores to get the customers to do more of the work. Plus, they often don't work for me - light stuff doesn't work on the scale, etc.

Right off the bat, I recognized it as a way for the stores to use fewer employees.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I used one once in a Home Depot about a year ago. A Cashier was out in the
isle recruiting people out of the till lines to try these out. I didn't (& don't) like
the idea behind them so I haven't used one since. Thanks but no thanks....

I figure it's kind of like having ATM's in the lobby of a Bank during business
hours. A bank now will have seven spots for tellers, and two tellers working.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Wouldn't it be easy to steal at these cashes? I've seen them, never used them.
I believe it would be very easy. I know the cashier that was watching over these tills yesterday was confident that I was watching the customer, which was fine. However, had each till (6 of them) had a customer, it would have been easy for anyone to go through without putting all of their items through the till and it won't take long for people to realize that. In the particular store I work at, "green bag" shopping is allowed. In other words, rather than use a cart or a hand basket, people gather up their groceries in their green bag and they bring them to a till. This has always disturbed me and I spoke with mgnt. about this practice. They did nothing. With this practice, how easy is it to go to the meat dept. and your first item in your bag is some expensive steak. The package lays on the bottom of the bag and can easily be left there while you un-load your groceries for the cashier and make sure you never let her touch the bag - preferring to "pack your own" groceries. This is so much easier at the self serve tills. There you are expected to pack your own bag. Once you get used to the way the till works you can quickly get your bag in place, and put groceries through without anyone being any the wiser in regard to what was in the bottom of your bag. Yes, there are cameras above the tills where the cashiers work. I don't know yet if they are above the self serve but if the person has not un-loaded all of his/her groceries, I cannot see how the camera will pick that up anyway. This theft will cause a rise in the cost of the groceries. What you steal today will cause a rise in something else you buy tomorrow is my feeling about these things.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well said! I do not use them as they are taking away jobs from the very people who need them in tough economic times. And, I politely tell those using them why I don't. Perhaps I'm a pain in the arse?
People who are using the tills may feel some annoyance at being told but you will have given them something to think about regardless. I'm sure that any staff who hear you are silently cheering you on. :smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I'll use them if there is less waiting. You can't steal from them or anything and if you think you aren't being watched, you're nuts. Most stores watch you six ways to Sunday with cameras and everything has a chip on it that will set off the alarm at the door if you don't scan it.

As for jobs, I find it more and more difficult to give a damn about people these days. Since so few give a damn about me I figure we're about even in the end.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I'll use them if there is less waiting. You can't steal from them or anything and if you think you aren't being watched, you're nuts. Most stores watch you six ways to Sunday with cameras and everything has a chip on it that will set off the alarm at the door if you don't scan it.

Sadly, I know a few people who steal for a living, so it is possible. Not at all stores, but most of the grocery stores around here get ripped off big time, often. They get caught here and there but mainly because they are suspicious looking and draw attention to themselves. They use their own bags, too.

Anyway, it would be nice if all stores could be theft proof as we all wind up paying for it in the end. :-(

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I used one for the first time at the Canadian Superstore in December. The people in front of me took forever to use this and all the people in the line had small purchases.

Only my second credit card worked on the machine and I see it as a money loser in some Canadian cities. I would imagine dishonest people might incorrectly scan their items to cheat the system.. I've seen it numerous times on a honour-fare transit system outside of Toronto.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
If you are concerned about unemployment, don't use self-serve cashiers. It's a simple act that can mean a lot to another person!

Well I'd rather use the self serve than stand in line while some cashier with an iq of her boot size tries to figure out what a artichoke or turnip is. And I won't apologize for using it either...

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Well I'd rather use the self serve than stand in line while some cashier with an iq of her boot size tries to figure out what a artichoke or turnip is. And I won't apologize for using it either...

I hate parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, and self-serve check-outs. They all leave a bad taste!

As always,
Your cousin Spade

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
I don't know yet if they are above the self serve but if the person has not un-loaded all of his/her groceries, I cannot see how the camera will pick that up anyway. This theft will cause a rise in the cost of the groceries. What you steal today will cause a rise in something else you buy tomorrow is my feeling about these things.

The thing with the cameras on the selfserve tills is they would have to be manned by a screen watcher and someone on the floor to stop the person before leaving the store. The ones for the cashier are for the cashiers - if the till is short they can review a tape and look for foul play. Or if they suspect foul play put a watcher to watch live.

I had seen them in hardware stores here but no in the food stores yet. The hardware store close off the cashiers until the selfserve are full, unless very busy.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well, I personally like the self service check outs. I find them quick and convenient. Usually there is hardly anybody at the self serv check out, or at most a short line. I think they are easy to use, take cash, credit, debt cards, gift cards etc., there is no difference between the kind of service they provide and a human cashier provides.

I have never had any problem using them. The only problem I have encountered is if somebody who has never used them before is using them sometimes they can take a long time. But with sex or seven counters available, that is not really a problem.

Anyway, I think self service check out is the wave of the future, so better get used to it. I routinely use them at Wal Mart, at the food supermarket (Loblaws etc.).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Spade, I have never accepted that argument, that is Luddite argument. Experience has shown that automation creates many more jobs, in the long run than it destroys.

Just think of all the jobs that were in existent say 100 or 150 years ago, think how many of them have disappeared, and how many jobs that exist today couldn’t even be conceived of in the old days.

Automation, computerization is has always been a boon to humankind. So it may well be that a supermarket checker is on his/her way out.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Spade
I remember reading an article when self serve gas stations started in Great Britain – massive boycotts – My self I try to avoid but at times have used them due to the shortage of cashiers and I have a few items and the lineups are filled to the brim and so are the grocery carts – I have when they had them never filled out a deposit / withdrawal slip at a bank – I do not use the ATM unless necessary – as I say to the tellers – it is people like me that keep you employed.

Tip – If you ever get pissed at your bank and have a loan outstanding – close your accounts and pay the loan off but add a few dollars – then tell the bank to send a check –Do not cash the check - it is then certified and they must carry that on their books till hell freezes over – Once had a problem with Scotia Bank – drove them crazy -

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I remember reading an article when self serve gas stations started in Great Britain – massive boycotts –

Goober, these days I never pay for gas at the counter, I can’t be bothered. I use my credit card at the gas pump. It saves time and hassles (I don’t have to stand in the line in the store). If that loses somebody their job, well that is just too bad.

And why self serve gas stations? I remember when I lived in Britain (1978 to 1986), the self service supermarkets were just coming on stream (until then people used to buy food from the greengrocer, butcher, bakery etc.). Many people did not like them one bit, the argument there was that they take away jobs from small entrepreneurs.

And they did, they put the neighbourhood green grocer, butcher etc. Out of business. But so what?

It is human nature to instinctively oppose anything new.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I remember reading an article when self serve gas stations started in Great Britain – massive boycotts –

Goober, these days I never pay for gas at the counter, I can’t be bothered. I use my credit card at the gas pump. It saves time and hassles (I don’t have to stand in the line in the store). If that loses somebody their job, well that is just too bad.

And why self serve gas stations? I remember when I lived in Britain (1978 to 1986), the self service supermarkets were just coming on stream (until then people used to buy food from the greengrocer, butcher, bakery etc.). Many people did not like them one bit, the argument there was that they take away jobs from small entrepreneurs.

And they did, they put the neighbourhood green grocer, butcher etc. Out of business. But so what?

It is human nature to instinctively oppose anything new.

Sir JP
Nice to see you care about others – I always carry a reasonable sum of cash for 2 reasons
1 - Lines go down – meaning no credit cards – debit etc work – and when that happens I laugh my way to the front of the line while the lemmings are in a frenzy of what do I do know – Gotta love it.
2 – Always carry cash in case you happen to be mugged – No cash can mean deadly consequences -