request for help from scotland

henryhtc

Nov 30, 2008
hello there and greetings from scotland,
Ive just joined this board since I am looking for some help.

I am a technician working in a scottish secondary school who at present is trying to arrange a tie up with a canadian school for a joint english dept project.

a flyer has been put out to education depts on the eastern coast since time difference is important since ideally we are hoping that we might be able to arrange a live 'video conference' between the pupils who take part. This assumes that a school from canada comes forward.

anyway for my part im hitting hurdles with regards using the our councils video conferencing unit a polycom vsx6000 unit , ill not bore with the politics.

suffice to say Im looking for alternatives in the hpoe that if the project takes of we can come up with something that might wow the pupils a wee bit.

hence glorified web chatting using msn messeneger looks to be a good bet , the intention being that the two schools share a msn messenger contact address and have good quality webcams/ video cameras /microphones connectedto computer and the computers linked to lcd projectors.

for my part im not sure how good the quality is going to be when dispalyed on a large screen or wheter distance and even miniscule time delay might cause signal problems .

hence what I am looking for is someone in canada easter coast , who is prepared to trial this with me . I reckon with the time difference if a connection was established 3pm scotland time is would be breakfast time with you.

as I say this is a genuine flyer for help , hence please no spam or the likes.

I look forward to hearing from anyone out there ,

cheers

harry

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
henryhtc, I cannot help you there. However, I lived in Scotland for two years and I thoroughly enjoyed living in Scotland. We lived in Airdrie, I worked at University of Glasgow and my wife worked at Monklands General Hospital (she is a doctor).

We traveled all over Scotland, to the west upto Kyle of Lochalch and north to Inverness. Scotland is a beautiful country, and people in general are friendly.

henryhtc

Nov 30, 2008
thanks for your quick reply , I am glad you have fond memories of your time spent in scotland , alas i havent ever ventured to canada though its an ambition that one day once the family are up that my wife and I will take a trip there , like most scots we have family dotted all over canada.
Next year as you may know is being presented as the 'Homecoming year' by the scottish government to celebrate the 250 birthday of rabbie burns, the theme being that those who have for wahtever reason a connection with the auld country should make a visit back.
thanks again for your your reply and maybe you may come across someone who might be willing to help out
cheers the noo as we scots say

harry

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I didn’t know that. I remember celebrating Robbie Burn s night by eating haggis and turnips. We will try to make it to Scotland, next year, we will see. I was in England this year for two weeks (Buxton, near Manchester), but didn’t make it as far north as Scotland.

We were in Scotland from 1981 to 1983 (we lived in UK from 1978 to 1986), I am sure Scotland has changed a lot since then. I remember Glasgow used to be quite a dirty city, somebody told me that they have spruced it up, washed the dirty buildings etc.

henryhtc

Nov 30, 2008
with the decline in heavy industry glasgow has had to reinvent itself to large degree , some would say its now the shopping capital of scotland , some would say thats nothing to boast about. I always tell people that the real scotland starts 20 miles north of glasgow as you head up towards perth and beyond to the highlands. for my part im stay in a small village about 10 miles north of glasgow and its a glasgow school that I work in.
next year is shapping up to be a biggie over here , there are some nmajor events taking place in scotland so if youve got anotion to visit then 2009 is the year for doing so, ummm i sound like a tourist board commercial.

cheers

harry