Internet Piracy

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
There has been massive debate over internet "piracy" in the past years...

Face it people, those who download music, videos and applications on the internet will continue to do it. I for one, enjoy getting free music and videos. The internet costs a lot of money so the way I see it, some of what I pay for internet covers the content I download. You may not agree with me but that's tough I guess.

I have no intention to stop downloading free stuff on the internet and I'm laughing because there's not a chance in hell that I'll get caught doing it.

I have saved over 10 000$ in the past years for music and videos. These savings are way to important to stop downloading for free.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I object to industry pirating my culture.

Take a song that I might download for example. How much is it really worth? The musician (and I am one) and the record company say it is worth as much as gold and that is to be expected, however lets look at the actual value:

Did the artist make the language it is written in? Did the artist invent the instruments? Did they invent the scales, the theory, the genera, the poetic form, the chord progressions etc? No they didn't.

So what did they invent then? Well, maybe a slightly different variation of what was already there. Popular song writers try and find a universal message in their music, that is, something everyone can relate to. If everyone can relate to it then even the emotional content isn't the artists it is ours and our cultures!

So why is it that I should have to pay such an absurd amount for so little?

The answer is that I don't.

That is why piracy will never go away.

Because the real pirates are the music industry and artists.

If I like an artist I will buy a shirt or go to a show. That is enough; probably more than enough.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
know what's dumber than doing something you know is illegal? Bragging about doing something illegal on a public internet forum.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
know what's dumber than doing something you know is illegal? Bragging about doing something illegal on a public internet forum.

It's not illegal in Canada (edit: oops, name calling again) - we aren't Americans :roll:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Said1 - how'd you get caught? 8O

I'm not sure exactly. I downloaded a movie through Morphius. The next thing I know I have an e-mail from one of the big movie companies asking me to remove it from my hard drive or they would proceed with legal action. I dont know how they would know if I did or not, but I did and never used Morpheus again!

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I download music and movies all the time, and don't feel a bit of guilt about it. I come from a very musical family.. many members of which are very successful musicians. From their point of view, as long as people are honestly enjoying their hard work they find that a good enough reward. I can understand how it may be difficult to make a living off of music, but if you're good enough people will pay to hear you perform. Nothing makes me smile more than when I've performed a piece or another (I play piano on occasion and have over 10 years of concert piano training :p ) only to have people compliment me. It's not about whether or not I make money doing it (never have, never will), but whether or not people like it. I can imagine how much better that would feel if the music I played were my own.

Scott Free is right, the real "pirates" are the producers and musicians that charge ridiculous amounts of money for art. Art is culture... shouldn't that be free?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
i think you will find it is very illegal in Canada.....but I could be wrong.....

Distributing is illegal. Downloading is not.

There have been two cases brought before the supreme court of Ontario now and both were thrown out. We still have fair use in Canada - though Harper is about to change that.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
There has been massive debate over internet "piracy" in the past years...

Face it people, those who download music, videos and applications on the internet will continue to do it. I for one, enjoy getting free music and videos. The internet costs a lot of money so the way I see it, some of what I pay for internet covers the content I download. You may not agree with me but that's tough I guess.

I have no intention to stop downloading free stuff on the internet and I'm laughing because there's not a chance in hell that I'll get caught doing it.

I have saved over 10 000$ in the past years for music and videos. These savings are way to important to stop downloading for free.

Paying for a communication service does not entitle you to copyrighted works. I'm far from a saint when it comes to downloading pirated whatever but I don't delude my self into think I am owed it because I pay for my internet. Your logic is pretty messed up.

You realize your ISP will terminate your service if they get complaints from the copyright holders? These companies actively pursue downloaders via companies like media Sentry, which have various ways of busting the average idiot.

You didn't save any money as you probably would have never bought those songs/movies games etc. Did you spend tens of thousands of dollars previously on goods likw that prior to stealing them?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Said1 - how'd you get caught? 8O

media entry, I imagine. They will connect to torrent swarms and take note of IP's offering complete versions of songs/movies/games etc. Then they look up who owns the IP address (rogers, bell etc) and send a cease and desist letter which your ISP will forward to you.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I'm not sure exactly. I downloaded a movie through Morphius. The next thing I know I have an e-mail from one of the big movie companies asking me to remove it from my hard drive or they would proceed with legal action. I dont know how they would know if I did or not, but I did and never used Morpheus again!

yikes - I've never heard of that happening to anyone before. Glad it was just a warning.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It's not illegal in Canada (edit: oops, name calling again) - we aren't Americans :roll:

Actually it is. The only grey area has to deal with music due to the tarrif we pay on recordable media which is then distributed to Canadian music publishers. Downloading software and movies is not legal in any way.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Scott Free is right, the real "pirates" are the producers and musicians that charge ridiculous amounts of money for art. Art is culture... shouldn't that be free?

Blaming the artists is kinda silly in my opinon, they are slaves to their recording contract. It's not like the artists dictate what the retail cost is.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
media entry, I imagine. They will connect to torrent swarms and take note of IP's offering complete versions of songs/movies/games etc. Then they look up who owns the IP address (rogers, bell etc) and send a cease and desist letter which your ISP will forward to you.

Thanks for explaining that Durka, I'm going to forward this info to someone I know who downloads quite a bit. I knew the penalties can be pretty stiff *if* you get caught, but I've never actually heard of anyone getting caught before.